New lenses on X1D - 28P

Previous topic - Next topic

polarphoto

The question is also - who has the 28P without magenta cast?

According.to the answer from Hasselblad all should be good!
Borealis

Summicron

I was going to buy the 28P for my X1Dii and fortunately I saw this thread. No one mentioned this problem, no YouTube reviewers and certainly not Hasselblad, their website says that it is compatible with X System cameras and 907X  >:(

Helwin

"Compatible with..." probably translates to "'It is possible to mount this lens on..." according to HB  ::)

tenmangu81

I have told HB about my strong disappointment, and received a new answer today:

Thank you for contacting Hasselblad.

I let our R&D team know about the urgency.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for additional support if needed.

Best regards,
The Hasselblad Support Team

Wait and see, but I am not very optimistic.....
Robert

ashdown

Quote from: tenmangu81 on October 27, 2023, 07:34:03 AM
Not very happy !

I have documented the compatibility of the XCD28P with the X1D. There is a strong color (magenta) cast at the edges, and even the last version of Phocus doesn't help. Except if you make a "Scene calibration" (LCC), by shooting a uniform white or grey background for each aperture and focus distance, and use it to this purpose. Once it has been done, you can use the corresponding preset(s) to correct your images from this colour cast. It works quite well. I have done it.

Within Lightroom, it's a little bit more complicated as you must use your casted grey image for processing any file and you obtain then a DNG. But this one-time correction can't be saved and used as a preset. I have done it too.

With the X2D, there are no such issues, as the files are in-body corrected.

So, I have asked Hasselblad to provide a new firmware for the X1D in order to correct the colour cast of the XCD28P. I've got an answer : it's simply that they don't plan to upgrade the firmware of any camera earlier than the X2D !!

Which means that the X1D II, which was the running MF 33x44 camera only 13 months ago, can't be upgraded for future lenses.... Well done, Hasselblad ! They bring a new lens and don't give any update for a 2 years old camera to use this lens....

I am surprised by this policy.

That's all, folks !

Could you post an image showing the extent of the problem? I haven't heard anyone else mention this but it doesn't sound like it should be an isolated problem.

It sounds concerning if Hasselblad should not want to update firmware for discontinued products even if just to maintain compatibility. They have always been very good at this in the past with updates for the H cameras and original X1D years after they went out of production.

tenmangu81

I have used some data given by members of the GetDPI forum.

I have downloaded, from Dropbox, two images taken with the 50c sensor, provided by FloatingLens (#193), one with the X1D II, the other with the 907X.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/hasselblad-xcd-28p.74993/page-10

I have tried to develop them within Phocus and Lightroom. In both cases, you need to make an LCC, as the lens corrections (vignetting more specifically) are not enough to correct the magenta cast.

There is also a comparison done with a uniform neutral plate shot with an X1D and an X2D, by Matt Grayson (#266):

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/hasselblad-xcd-28p.74993/page-14

Your thoughts would be very appreciated !
Robert

ashdown

Quote from: tenmangu81 on November 01, 2023, 02:36:51 AM
I have used some data given by members of the GetDPI forum.

I have downloaded, from Dropbox, two images taken with the 50c sensor, provided by FloatingLens (#193), one with the X1D II, the other with the 907X.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/hasselblad-xcd-28p.74993/page-10

I have tried to develop them within Phocus and Lightroom. In both cases, you need to make an LCC, as the lens corrections (vignetting more specifically) are not enough to correct the magenta cast.

There is also a comparison done with a uniform neutral plate shot with an X1D and an X2D, by Matt Grayson (#266):

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/hasselblad-xcd-28p.74993/page-14

Your thoughts would be very appreciated !

That certainly doesn't look like a minor or isolated issue. I get the feeling Hasselblad are struggling to get to grips with their changing dynamic. In the past their user base was almost entirely professional/commercial, local support/maintenance was prioritised over new products and features. They now sell to a majority enthusiast/fine art market and have a lot more competitors. With this and being a small company (under pressure from much larger owners) they are developing outstanding products but releasing them when they're only 95% ready. Their small team of software/firmware developers must be under a lot of pressure to get new products to market and fix bugs and add features to current products. As a result supporting older products will be way down on their priority lists. With X1D and 907X owners making up a large proportion of the market for this lens, I would expect or at least hope they might have a rethink on the urgency of this compatibility as a priority.

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on October 30, 2023, 02:44:38 AM
Quote from: SrMi on October 27, 2023, 11:19:40 PM
Thanks.That's a bummer. X1D II had an update for the new V lenses, but not for the 28P lens.
The magenta cast is probably not corrected in X2D as the BSI sensor does not need it.

Could be. But it is very surprising for HB to release such a lens in "genuine" version, I mean, which is so bad that it needs BSI and/or in-body correction. This policy is very different from the first XCD lenses, which were excellent by themselves without any camera (or almost).

I guess that Hasselblad could design a marvel of a lens, but that could only work with a BSI sensor. I am glad that they still decided to launch it. From my limited understanding of lens design, the lens would be larger and heavier if they had fixed the magenta cast for the FSI sensors. They should have known about  FSI issues and mentioned it at launch.

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on November 02, 2023, 02:56:48 AM
From my limited understanding of lens design, the lens would be larger and heavier if they had fixed the magenta cast for the FSI sensors. They should have known about  FSI issues and mentioned it at launch.

I can understand that, but my XCD55V and XCD45P are compact and light when compared with the XCD65 and the XCD45, and they work quite well with my X1D II. So, it is possible to design compact lenses which work with both the X1D and the X2D. It's HB choice if they decided to design a lens working only with the X2D. And, as you said, they should have publish a disclaimer for the X1D owners before selling it.
Robert

paratom

Quote from: tenmangu81 on November 02, 2023, 04:21:56 AM
Quote from: SrMi on November 02, 2023, 02:56:48 AM
From my limited understanding of lens design, the lens would be larger and heavier if they had fixed the magenta cast for the FSI sensors. They should have known about  FSI issues and mentioned it at launch.
I think it is a total no go to bring new lenses which do not work well on a camera just one generation before in this price range.
I have a x2d so it is not my problem but I would be pissed if I had a x1dII - Hasselblad better fix this and at least supplypropper firmware and profiles to correct the issue.
I won't spend any further money in a system where you always need the latest body to be able to use new lenses.
My opinion.