Daran Wu's excellent review of the X2D + 38 & 55v lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkN

Daran Wu wrote an excellent review which he posted on the Facebook X2D group, and I am pasting the link below to the original article:

https://camera-forest.com/en/hasselblad-x2d-100c-en/?fbclid=IwAR0xu64wMvxnJFeRfAOJf8U8OBAiB-RyO_SGcpjWOlXuncBPwOsWVdlfvKo

Larsb

Quote from: MarkN on August 05, 2023, 05:20:01 AM
Daran Wu wrote an excellent review which he posted on the Facebook X2D group, and I am pasting the link below to the original article:

https://camera-forest.com/en/hasselblad-x2d-100c-en/?fbclid=IwAR0xu64wMvxnJFeRfAOJf8U8OBAiB-RyO_SGcpjWOlXuncBPwOsWVdlfvKo

Thanks for sharing.  It's a really good review!
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

Larsb

I love this quote from the article:

QuoteLike when we were young and in love, you would cherish their beauty and overlook their imperfections, and your mind would be flooded with memories of moments shared with them. In this moment, all you can think of is having them by your side, or perhaps...

"I want to own this camera."

very true  :)
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

acg69

Great review indeed, thoroughly enjoyed it. A quick question to all though: is it my imagination that almost all images are overexposed and a bit washed out? If so, is this by design of the photographer you think?

tenmangu81

Quote from: acg69 on August 05, 2023, 07:44:38 PM
Great review indeed, thoroughly enjoyed it. A quick question to all though: is it my imagination that almost all images are overexposed and a bit washed out? If so, is this by design of the photographer you think?

I had the same feeling and thought....
Robert

sanglier

I was going to say it, the images are all overexposed. Not a great review  :-\

MarkN

He was asked about this in the Facebook X2D group where he posted a link to the article:

Q by AA:  What you wrote is really what I feel, using X2D100.
Your pictures are nice. Is-it a Lightroom preset you use to desaturate your pictures ?

Daran Wu:  I use LR to adjust my color, and the saturation is lowered a little bit.

sarkleshark

Thanks.  Would love to see a critical review and samples from the xpan lenses since there is one on the x2d in the title photo.

viking

I have not heard this before ''Reducing the frequency of charging the camera battery can also extend the lifespan of the camera's circuit board.'' How does that make sense. I like the brightness in most of his pictures, maybe because I see too many 'dark' pictures  ;)

Ralf

I can only imagine that it means that charging the battery in the camera puts a load on the main circuit board.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: sarkleshark on August 06, 2023, 06:55:20 AM
Thanks.  Would love to see a critical review and samples from the xpan lenses since there is one on the x2d in the title photo.
X-Pan lenses have really a poor rendering on digital cameras compared to XCD's and even CF's.

I own all three lenses and results are poor with the 45 and 90, better with the 30 (on my X1D and 907X), the X-Pan lens profiles in Phocus correct a lot the results in RAW files but it's not convenient at all, you have write down and later enter manually the figures for each frame : lens type, aperture, focus distance.

The french Hasselblad distributor said to me that Hasselblad had recently discontinued the X-Pan adapter.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

David Mantripp

I cannot help but remark that 95% of the time "excellent review" or "Great Review!" comments in the interwebs actually translate to "writer has reinforced my confirmation bias" or "writer fully agrees with me" or "writer heaps praise on my favourite toy"  8).

I'm going to be that curmudgeon who has to step in say that I don't see any excellence in the art of reviewing demonstrated here. Sure, it's nicely written, it's attractively presented, but it reads more like a Hasselblad-commissioned puff piece, not a critical review. All I learnt from it is that Daran Wu loves his Hasselblad. Good for him! I quite like mine too.   Also, well, non de gustibus non dispuntadum est and all that, but the previously painfully trendy "Portra 400 pushed 2 stops" look is getting a bit old, especially here where he has turned up the dial to push another 2 stops and thrown in a drastic Fuji 160NS-like shift in the greens.  Not sure I see the point of investing in HNCS there. But in particular, using such an extreme style in a review just isn't appropriate.  And finally, is an X2D+55V really the best choice for street photography? Well, maybe for some. Personally I'd tend to pick up my Ricoh GRIIIx for that focal length.

Excellent or even good critical reviews of X-System gear (or in fact any gear) are very few and far between.  Either they are influencer-style where the gear is on loan from Hasselblad and they don't want to bite the hand the feeds them, or they are made buy people who've maxed out their credit cards and don't want to look foolish (or are in denial) by saying anything more than very mildly critical.

Anyway, must dash, I've got to shout at some clouds and get those darn kids off my lawn.

tenmangu81

Robert

bmikiten

Quote from: viking on August 06, 2023, 09:52:32 AM
I have not heard this before ''Reducing the frequency of charging the camera battery can also extend the lifespan of the camera's circuit board.'' How does that make sense.  ;)

I have some issues with this statement as well as an engineer, it doesn't make sense unless some significant design errors exist in the charging circuit. Anyone else know about this? Speculation?

Brian

Bob Foster

From David Mantripp:

Quotethrown in a drastic Fuji 160NS-like shift in the greens

The rendition of greens in many of the images made me cringe.

Bob