Daran Wu's excellent review of the X2D + 38 & 55v lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: PatrickM on October 03, 2023, 09:50:10 AM
Nice post of those images. My landscape specific lens is the xcd 4/21. I sold my 45p in favour of the 55v and I also have the 38v. The 38v I use more generally when I'm out and about...towns etc, and the 55v for things like car shows.
Good Job Patrick
I also enjoy the 55v and 38v and now also the 28v -- but all pail optically compared to the 4/21 and 1.8/80, 4/120 and even the 2.8/135
As was mentioned in the article:
55V "I think the new Hasselblad lenses are designed to make sacrifices in optics in order to be more lightweight and have a large aperture. If we want to make real physical improvements, the size and weight of the lenses would likely increase significantly" - surely this observation is correct. These new lenses are great but maybe more from general and portraiture than for technically perfect landscape work -- I might argue they have a character that is their own and I am enjoying discovering. 
38V - "If you are a landscape or travel photographer, this lens may be more suitable for capturing wider scenes. The vignetting issue is still similar to that of the 55V, but it is not a problem as long as you know how to correct it."
I can easily argue that if one wants the best lens for landscape the one should look at adapting a large format lens (a Rodenstock or similar) or an HC/HCD or any 645 lens with an oversized image circle (when put on a X body) to ensure edge issues are ignored or at least significantly reduced. I find the HCD 4.8/24 a great lens in this regard. 

Owning a X2D-100C and the 28P, 38V and 55V; waiting patiently for 90V (and also owning a bunch of XCD and HC/HCD lenses and adapters/tools) - my conclusion about these new lenses is the same as Daran Wu - where in relation to the 55V he states: "I think the new Hasselblad lenses are designed to make sacrifices in optics in order to be more lightweight and have a large aperture. If we want to make real physical improvements, the size and weight of the lenses would likely increase significantly."
It seems to me that H has made design choices to balance size, weight, cost and optical performance and their choices work for me -- they may not work as well for others.
Its your work - make your artistic choices and choose the gear that works best OR buy some gear and work out the artistic choices that can be best served when using it.
Some artistic choices require very expensive gear and potentially different systems to realise other choices do not.
The Phase One XT, IQ4 150 (A or C) and both the Rodenstock HR 23mm f/5.6 AND Rodenstock HR 32mm f/4 Tilt lenses keep coming to mind for some reason.
It is not like we cannot use other XCD or adapt other lenses to the X2D.

Pablo14

From Andy:
"It seems to me that H has made design choices to balance size, weight, cost and optical performance and their choices work for me -- they may not work as well for others.
It's your work - make your artistic choices and choose the gear that works best OR buy some gear and work out the artistic choices that can be best served when using it."

I so agree - Hasselblad has made design choices with the 55mm v lens, not compromises. It's a tool ultimately, built with a specific intent and target market.

Hasselblad's presentation of the 55mm v lens is clear enough I believe as to its purpose and design:

https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/lenses/xcd-55v

From their website:

"XCD 2,5/55V

WIDE-APERTURE LENS FOR DOCUMENTARY AND PORTRAIT SHOOTING

Equivalent to a full-frame 43mm focal length, the XCD 2,5/55V standard lens produces a viewpoint similar to the human eye. This perspective, combined with the soft bokeh effect from the large f/2.5 aperture, makes this lens an outstanding option for full or half-length portraits and ideal for shooting documentary, still life, or daily photography."

Ikarus

Good point on the image circle, Andy.  I have been pondering re-purchasing a 21/4 and 80/1.9.  I liked the results of the 135 & converter, but the AF was difficult to manage in a moving scene - I assume the PDAF of the X2D helps improve that issue.

Jim Kasson's review of the 38V is very informative - he couldn't find Lloyd Chambers' focus shift (not the first time Digilloyd's alarm bells have not stood up to closer scrutiny); Jim did find a flat plane of best focus and some lack of sharp detail in the edges.  His review is worth reading.

A lot of our landscapes here are distant - mountains etc - making the use of telephotos preferable (with the benefits of telecentric lenses).  The Mathographers images with a variety of lenses are also informative, if not particularly scientific.

For the moment, the 38V is my lot.  I'll see how that goes, though I must confess, content and composition tends to be more important to me than detailed examination of the corners of images, though excellent performance is good to know ...