X2D Storage Consensus?

Previous topic - Next topic

ktanaka

X2D Owners:  Do you use a CFe card as your primary in-camera storage or the camera's enormous, fast 1Tb SSD?

I've been using CFe cards, due largely to old habits of rotating and saving memory cards with my other cameras.  Also because connecting the X2D to my computer to download images is slightly more of a hassle.  But maybe I'm missing something good.  SO I thought I'd ask.

glaiben

My approach is the same as yours.  Easier for me to manipulate a card and reader than the full camera/lens on my desktop.  The internal 1T SSD is for backup in the event I would ever need it.  Once back from an outing and all images are loaded into the computer and backups made, I will reformat the internal SSD.

...gregg

Orokaj

I don't use CFE cards, when the internal ssd gets full I will probably back up and format. (I already import the images every time after each shoot)

This is mainly due to X2D not giving us more options with cards, if I can save Jpeg in CFE and RAW in SSD I would happily do that.
Jakoro
Jack Xu

Andy Miller Photo UK

No - I use the ssd and plug in a usb to offload

mikaelo67

I use the SSD, I haven't even put a card in. The SSD is so fast to plug in and download to the computer.

SrMi

I use CFe as the main storage, but download images mostly via USB-C as my card door is hard to open.

FoleyAMG

Use both...have noticed any significant performance differences from the card or SSD (though I am sure there is)

I did recently picked up the Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 Type-C CFexpress card reader and dang, this is fast...

So really depends on my mood...I do usually keep a card in the camera at all times...

Interesting to see some keep there images on the SSD...if I use, I will do a format and start fresh...not sure of the long term impacts but so far...no issues.

Larsb

I use the internal SSD exclusively and don't use a CFE card at all.  The internal storage is super useful and for my style of photography, don't really need a extra card
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

sanglier

I use the internal SSD exclusively and no cards.

asfeir

paratom

ssd, its convenient for me.

MGrayson

For the past 10 years, SD cards were so cheap, I've kept every filled card as an extra backup. With the X2D, I've used 256GB cards and kept everything on the SSD. When the SSD fills up, I don't know what I'll do. 528GB cards are getting cheaper.

o2mpx

Was using ssd as main but connecting camera after each day is more of a hassle than popping card out into reader for transfer; so switched to 512gb card as main and ssd as backup.

The other issue, perhaps it's on my end not knowing to to create a new folder before each transfer using Phocus, the files add into the folder mixed with prior day's photos, and ideally would prefer to have a daily folder, which is more straightforward if I'm transferring from card.

flash

Two is one and one is none. I write to both *slots*. I have  two 512GB cards. They weren't cheap but in the scheme of a 30K system, they aren't a big add on. And I have a few other cameras that use CF Express B.

But my *primary* is the SSD. I generally shoot to both but then copy directly from the camera to my computer. Then ingest into LR which makes a backup to an external drive. I never use LR to actually copy the files off the camera. Then I format both the SSD and card and start again. After rating the files a few might go through DXO or Phocus. Took me longer to type this than actually start the process.

I am extremely happy with the speed of the internal memory on the X2D and how easy it is to get the files off the camera. IMHO the storage and CF Express cards are one of the major advantages of the X2D over the competition.

Gordon

boojum

SSD only.  Quick, simple, easy.  No card to lose.
Elpis