Warning about the X2D Neck Straps Lugs

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunil Mehta

Quote from: Sunil Mehta on August 09, 2023, 04:46:59 AM
Quote from: Justin on February 20, 2023, 06:21:34 AM
It was lucky that I had the camera lens tucked into my jacket today when one of the lugs on the neck strap supplied with the camera slipped off its mushroom mount without me touching it, preventing the camera's demise on the rocks below. On investigation, both of the lugs will just slip off their mounts without touching the spring clips, which have very little "spring" in them, certainly not enough to make them a safe attachment. If anyone is about to lean over that bridge parapet or out of that helicopter door, perhaps think about a wrist strap or safety lanyard attached to the tripod screw socket!

I just had this issue with the original Hasselblad strap on my X2D-100. I recently started using the camera and was very lucky the strap slipped off one of the lugs as I was pulling it out of my bag and not while carrying it with the strap on my shoulder. On closer examination, this is happening with just one of the clips and not the other. It slips off without warning and does not clip on with the normal clicking sound. It seems the spring on that clip is just not tight enough compared to the other clip. I have written to Hasselblad about this problem so let's see what they say. These clips on the Hasselblad straps are of much flimsier quality compared to the old clips. I am hoping to keep this thread alive to hear if more people are experiencing this problem and what solutions have been tried.

Two pics here, with clip firmly attached and with it sliding off at a particular angle without being provoked.
Sunil

Larsb

That is definitely one thing I don't like about the X2D is the strap lugs.  It's a really basic thing, but it is hard to find an additional attachment to the lugs (should one misplace the original Hasselblad strap), and they do not fill me with confidence.  Having broken one Hasselblad camera (the XPan, for a different reason), I'm definitely not keen to repeat the experience with the X2D.   I don't trust the lugs and always use a hand strap that is attached to a tripod base plate with a "normal" attachment
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

mikeinpa

Recently I came across a strap for my old 503 but I gave it to my camera shop where I'd traded in my camera a while back. I wish I could try that on my X2D. There are several original Hasselblad straps on eBay if anyone is interested.

I use the Peipro L Bracket on my X2D and this has a small steel bar for attaching a Peak Design anchor which I use with a Peak Design wrist strap. It's no bother simply disconnecting the wrist strap and the then anchor fits inside the bracket when I use a tripod.

Ralf

So far I have only trusted camera straps that were connected to the camera with fixed eyelets.

The lugs of the X2D forced me to rethink.  I don't want to do without an Arca-Swiss base plate.  That's why I tried the Berlebach Speedy and I'm thrilled.  There is even space for the tripod mount next to it.  I now use it for my other cameras as well.

https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=627