Warning about the X2D Neck Straps Lugs

Previous topic - Next topic

boojum

We have seen say a dozen strap failures on the X2D.  That is just a ballpark figure.  There have been way more than a dozen X2D's sold.
Elpis

TimH

Here is my current thinking about the strap-failure reports.  I'm pretty skeptical of all of this, skeptical that we have a design failure with the strap or attachment system that can't be explained.  Still, if somebody tells me the ice is thin in spots and a couple of people have fallen through, I'm going to be pretty cautious. I'm now an obsessive strap checker, hoping Hasselblad says something definitive about it soon.  The camera is damned expensive, after all, and hard to replace.   

boojum

Agreed.  And I have tested my straps a few times.  They are secure.

Some time back there were numerous failures with Audi sedans whose gas pedals would stick.  The actual problem?  That gas pedal had a horizontal bar instead of a vertical bar.  Drivers confused the gas pedal for the brake pedal.  This is a different style of attachment. It takes more attention to attach it and mis-attachment is not as obvious.  But lets see how this plays out.

Elpis

Bejazz68

Quote from: boojum on March 04, 2023, 09:24:22 AM
We have seen say a dozen strap failures on the X2D.  That is just a ballpark figure.  There have been way more than a dozen X2D's sold.

I wouldn't call my couple of cases of finding the left hand side fixing had come away from the strap as a failure, as it still clips on and works. I was just documenting the fact that it's possible to inadvertently dislodge the strap from the lugs, which seems to have happened with mine. When I put my X2D in my camera bag it was secure but when I took it out to transfer images, once on the table, I noticed that the strap had slipped off. Having thought about it, I suspect that the bag could have inadvertently pushed the clip in whilst removing it, as it's a very close fit. I've since placed the X2D in a different position within the bag, which no longer puts pressure on the clips and I've not had any further issues.

Orokaj

Quote from: Bejazz68 on March 04, 2023, 10:24:11 PM

I wouldn't call my couple of cases of finding the left hand side fixing had come away from the strap as a failure, as it still clips on and works. I was just documenting the fact that it's possible to inadvertently dislodge the strap from the lugs, which seems to have happened with mine. When I put my X2D in my camera bag it was secure but when I took it out to transfer images, once on the table, I noticed that the strap had slipped off. Having thought about it, I suspect that the bag could have inadvertently pushed the clip in whilst removing it, as it's a very close fit. I've since placed the X2D in a different position within the bag, which no longer puts pressure on the clips and I've not had any further issues.

A classic design worked so well for 50+ years when a bag can unclip it for you. :D
Jakoro
Jack Xu

Hendrix_CI

Anytime that a $12,000 camera system can fall and hit the ground when you don't expect it to, there is concern.

From what I can see, the strap lugs are very similar to what has been deployed in numerous cameras for decades (though most newer camera seem to have moved to the hole punch lug). I want to make sure that if there is an issue, we know where it is, and from what I can tell, if there is an issue, it is with the straps.

The other day, we pulled out a strap from our demo X2D box and applied it to the X2D and I found that one side could just slip right back off, while the other side would not. I am .... hate to say this, but very strap illiterate. Traditionally, I have always handed my camera straps to my wife and asked her - Can you please put this on? I know, it's embarrassing.

But there seems to be something about these straps and how they attach or detach. I don't even know what it is yet, I've had trouble with replication. But I think it would be wise to be aware and be cautious - and if anyone has more information and/or hits upon a superb alternative, add your voice.

Steve Hendrix/CI

hcubell

Quote from: Hendrix_CI on March 07, 2023, 12:21:49 PM
Anytime that a $12,000 camera system can fall and hit the ground when you don't expect it to, there is concern.

From what I can see, the strap lugs are very similar to what has been deployed in numerous cameras for decades (though most newer camera seem to have moved to the hole punch lug). I want to make sure that if there is an issue, we know where it is, and from what I can tell, if there is an issue, it is with the straps.

The other day, we pulled out a strap from our demo X2D box and applied it to the X2D and I found that one side could just slip right back off, while the other side would not. I am .... hate to say this, but very strap illiterate. Traditionally, I have always handed my camera straps to my wife and asked her - Can you please put this on? I know, it's embarrassing.

But there seems to be something about these straps and how they attach or detach. I don't even know what it is yet, I've had trouble with replication. But I think it would be wise to be aware and be cautious - and if anyone has more information and/or hits upon a superb alternative, add your voice.

Steve Hendrix/CI

This is wise advice. I have not tried the Hasselblad supplied strap, but I have had one side of my custom fabricated strap detach multiple times as I pulled it out of my backpack. I will not mention the name of the company that made the strap other than to say it is a VERY well regarded player in this space. They used aftermarket connectors, but this issue seems to be coming up even with the Hasselblad supplied strap.

man-overboard

So far I have had no issues whatsoever with the strap I have or the wrist strap, both using Peak Design anchors. However this thread has made me far more cautious and I thank everyone for starting it and carrying it on. If I have any issues I will report them here.

JCM-Photos

Did you see it or hear about it ?

Was it a strap failure or failure of the person who attached it ?
Sharpen your eyes not your files

JCM-Photos

Quote from: man-overboard on March 07, 2023, 08:59:20 PM
So far I have had no issues whatsoever with the strap I have or the wrist strap, both using Peak Design anchors. However this thread has made me far more cautious and I thank everyone for starting it and carrying it on. If I have any issues I will report them here.
I've severely dropped two times a camera in 50 years photography

A Mamiya 645 that fell from the tripod I carried on the shoulder, I forgot to lock the Mamiya tripod plate and the safety notch

A Nikon D800E that unscrewed on the tripod screw while carrying it on a sling strap
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Orokaj

Quote from: JCM-Photos on March 07, 2023, 09:05:44 PM

Did you see it or hear about it ?

Was it a strap failure or failure of the person who attached it ?

If X2D has been sold millions of units worldwide and only a handful reports of the lugs, I won't be too concerned about it, might be human error.

But, if you take in account how few of the units are out there, in relations to the number of reports on forums, fb groups and other platforms( I have a closed X2D user group from Asia of about 121 ppl, those who got the cameras first reported/warned this issue , more than a dozen, since then the majority avoids using the strap.)

Also, this issue is kind of new in the camera industry, people never had issues with their cameras coming loose, why? cause the manufacturers stick to what is working already. If it works, don't change it.
Jakoro
Jack Xu

mmanesh

Wanted to get a wrist strap for my X2D and planned to just get one from PeakDesign as I used them for years. Did look a bit messy when trying to use them with the Hassy connectors. The shop owner also did not recommend it but did not provide another solution.

I finally got a combination from BlackRapid, a company I did not know before. I am using their Sport strap now as well as their wrist strap and both attach securely to the base plate of the X2D. Problem solved.

Sunil Mehta

Quote from: Justin on February 20, 2023, 06:21:34 AM
It was lucky that I had the camera lens tucked into my jacket today when one of the lugs on the neck strap supplied with the camera slipped off its mushroom mount without me touching it, preventing the camera's demise on the rocks below. On investigation, both of the lugs will just slip off their mounts without touching the spring clips, which have very little "spring" in them, certainly not enough to make them a safe attachment. If anyone is about to lean over that bridge parapet or out of that helicopter door, perhaps think about a wrist strap or safety lanyard attached to the tripod screw socket!

I just had this issue with the original Hasselblad strap on my X2D-100. I recently started using the camera and was very lucky the strap slipped off one of the lugs as I was pulling it out of my bag and not while carrying it with the strap on my shoulder. On closer examination, this is happening with just one of the clips and not the other. It slips off without warning and does not clip on with the normal clicking sound. It seems the spring on that clip is just not tight enough compared to the other clip. I have written to Hasselblad about this problem so let's see what they say. These clips on the Hasselblad straps are of much flimsier quality compared to the old clips. I am hoping to keep this thread alive to hear if more people are experiencing this problem and what solutions have been tried.
Sunil

bmikiten

Quote from: Justin on February 22, 2023, 02:26:39 AM
The problem is with the design of the new lugs.

Does anyone know how the lugs are attached? Screwed in? Attached from the inside? I haven't fooled with them yet but feel like it would be simple enough to modify this design (I'm an engineer and can't leave things as-is). I use a leather cover and have a Arca Swiss plate on mine 100% of the time. As a result, I hand carry it when not tripod mounted. That worked well until recently while hiking in Montana with a full pack and I tripped with camera in hand and barely held on to it when I fell flat on my face. Yes, I saved the camera so all is well. The hand strap would have worked if I had lost my grip but I've not been happy with them when hiking.

Sunil Mehta

Quote from: Patrick M on August 09, 2023, 07:21:08 AM
Dead cameras made me a wrist strap...
... I just came back from 2 weeks sailing around Svalbard. This strap worked perfectly.

That looks like a good solution. I might try it. Thanks
Sunil