Warning about the X2D Neck Straps Lugs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bejazz68

I've had the strap come off the lugs on my X2D a few times now, though always on the left hand side for some reason. Thankfully, on these occasions it's been whilst the camera has been placed on a surface downloading images or whilst charging. Has anybody heard anything from Hasselblad about this at all? Surely this must have been researched and trialled extensively before it hit the market? I'm more than a little wary now with the strap and am looking at purchasing some sort of wrist strap attached to the tripod socket. Not ideal though ...

hcubell

Quote from: SrMi on February 20, 2023, 11:47:49 AM
An alternative is to get the upcoming RRS plate and use a QD strap.
How do you get the camera mounted on a tripod if the strap is attached to the base of the RRS plate?

JCM-Photos

Quote from: Justin on February 22, 2023, 02:26:39 AM
As a follow-up to this and the past 60 years of successful attachment of this system, I found a vintage Hasselblad wrist strap on ebay with two vintage Hasselblad lugs. The lip of the spring blade on the old ones is slightly deeper than on the new ones and whatever twisting torture I put them through, they won't pop off the turrets until the spring blade is lifted, as they didn't do for those past 60 years! The problem is with the design of the new lugs.
It's even a bit difficult to remove voluntary the strap on my old V series body, it's a bit lighter on my Mamiya's.

Sharpen your eyes not your files

Orokaj

Quote from: Bejazz68 on February 28, 2023, 07:47:03 AM
I've had the strap come off the lugs on my X2D a few times now, though always on the left hand side for some reason. Thankfully, on these occasions it's been whilst the camera has been placed on a surface downloading images or whilst charging. Has anybody heard anything from Hasselblad about this at all? Surely this must have been researched and trialled extensively before it hit the market? I'm more than a little wary now with the strap and am looking at purchasing some sort of wrist strap attached to the tripod socket. Not ideal though ...

I don't know how will Hasselblad address this, hope to see them at least take note of this. Currently like the others have said the most secure place is the bottom plate screw mount.
Jakoro
Jack Xu

sarkleshark

Hi, I am using this arca swiss compatible baseplate which has two slots that allow for strap attachments--the benefit is that the camera hangs flat at your side.  This does not block the battery door or prevent the back screen from angling out.  It attaches to the tripod screw.

Orokaj

Quote from: sarkleshark on February 28, 2023, 09:58:36 AM
Hi, I am using this arca swiss compatible baseplate which has two slots that allow for strap attachments--the benefit is that the camera hangs flat at your side.  This does not block the battery door or prevent the back screen from angling out.  It attaches to the tripod screw.

very nice! mine is similar where instead of the plate I have a PD quick release that allows me to attached it other mounts, its also arca compatible.
Jakoro
Jack Xu

boojum

There is a lot of chatter on the FB X2D groups about this.  I wrote Hasselblad to get their reaction and have heard nothing yet.  When and if I do I will let you know.
Elpis

MarkN

Good morning and thank you all for alerting X2D owners to the problems with the new lug clips on the straps delivered with the X2D.  Much appreciated!

I just bought a NOS Hasselblad V camera strap from pre-1963 on eBay and I will harvest the lug clips to attach to the X2D for use with my Peak Design camera strap and wrist strap.

I imagine that pre-1963 Swedish steel and manufacturing will result in a secure solution for the X2D.

hcubell

Quote from: MarkN on March 03, 2023, 04:45:49 AM
Good morning and thank you all for alerting X2D owners to the problems with the new lug clips on the straps delivered with the X2D.  Much appreciated!

I just bought a NOS Hasselblad V camera strap from pre-1963 on eBay and I will harvest the lug clips to attach to the X2D for use with my Peak Design camera strap and wrist strap.

I imagine that pre-1963 Swedish steel and manufacturing will result in a secure solution for the X2D.

I do not believe it is clear that the problem lies with the lug clips. It may be that it is the design of the lugs that is the problem.

boojum

From back in my days of writing computer code the first things is, "Show me how it fails."  Then we examine how the user has executed what is failing.  In this case is the strap attached correctly to both sides of the camera or just one side?  Unless it is failing for everybody the evidence suggests user error.  FWIW my strap is attached securely and has been since 31 October 2022.  I have pulled and wiggled the straps attachments recently with no sign of failure.

Were I in the field dealing with this user and this failure I would suggest that we detach the strap and re-attach it, carefully, and then see how it works,  In this case as in all others, YMMV.  But first let's identify the problem.
Elpis

Bejazz68

Quote from: boojum on March 03, 2023, 05:45:50 PM

From back in my days of writing computer code the first things is, "Show me how it fails."  Then we examine how the user has executed what is failing.  In this case is the strap attached correctly to both sides of the camera or just one side?  Unless it is failing for everybody the evidence suggests user error.  FWIW my strap is attached securely and has been since 31 October 2022.  I have pulled and wiggled the straps attachments recently with no sign of failure.

Were I in the field dealing with this user and this failure I would suggest that we detach the strap and re-attach it, carefully, and then see how it works,  In this case as in all others, YMMV.  But first let's identify the problem.

User error might be the case in some instances, I'm sure but as a previous owner and user of an 500C/M and 503C/W I am used to the strap attachments. Don't you think it could potentially be a problem with the machining on the strap fittings maybe not being quite within tolerance? Not everything should be blamed on user error, especially if it has happened to many users of this beautiful camera in the short time it's been on the market. I now know to give the left hand side of my strap an extra tug and make sure that the clip is properly seated, hopefully it'll never come off again now.

Photon42

I played a bit around with this mushroom connection style with the provided strap as well as with a very vintage one. I could not get either to disengage or even leave it in a position where it is not clicked in place. Of course that is just me and this is just my sample of two straps.

satijntje

Quote from: hcubell on March 03, 2023, 04:47:06 PM
Quote from: MarkN on March 03, 2023, 04:45:49 AM

I do not believe it is clear that the problem lies with the lug clips. It may be that it is the design of the lugs that is the problem.

I am thinking of getting one of the Hasselblad Standard Camera Straps 59110.
Does anybody here has experience with this strap and the X2D?

boojum

Quote from: Bejazz68 on March 03, 2023, 07:40:07 PM

User error might be the case in some instances, I'm sure but as a previous owner and user of an 500C/M and 503C/W I am used to the strap attachments. Don't you think it could potentially be a problem with the machining on the strap fittings maybe not being quite within tolerance? Not everything should be blamed on user error, especially if it has happened to many users of this beautiful camera in the short time it's been on the market. I now know to give the left hand side of my strap an extra tug and make sure that the clip is properly seated, hopefully it'll never come off again now.

It may not be user error.  Show me how it fails.  And let's examine the lugs.  These are not whittled out of slag by clumsy Slobovian fools.  Most likely they were contracted out and made by a screw machine.  That means precision equipment that would spit them out, to spec.  Again, show me how it fails, detach and re-attach the strap and lets see if it detaches by itself again.  The user is less experienced at this than the fellow who is making the lugs, making the camera, making the attaching tabs.  But, prove me wrong.  If this were a design or manufacturing flaw I think there would be a lot more failures.  It is incongruous to me that a precision manufacturer like Hasselblad with a long track record of great gear, well made, well assembled and rugged would fall down on something as simple as a lug and its attachment.  Hasselblad does test these cameras before they release them.  Other people test them. 

I snatched at my strap, attached since 31 October, and it is firmly attached.  But my instance and your instance are just two observations.  Bottom line: check your tabs and how well they are attached. An extra tug would not guarantee the strap would stay attached if it were defective, would it?  But it would validate a connection to a good lug with a good attachment tab. 
Elpis

Bejazz68

I'm certainly not insinuating that there's an issue with the straps or lugs, just my experience after others had pointed the issue out. It could be that those who have had an issue, including myself, could potentially have inadvertently pressed the fixing detaching it from the lug.