Credo

Previous topic - Next topic

boojum

This is what I believe, i. e., credo.  The X2D is a damned good camera.  I bought it to take photographs.  It does that exceedingly well.  Both image and color are world class.  I do not cover sports, shoot movies nor need eye following firmware, although that would be nice.  I paid a ton for the camera just like everyone else.  I did not get a ticket to the Crybaby Olympics with the camera purchase.  This does not mean I would not welcome firmware updates, I would.  But carping, whining and sniveling just show bad form and do not get the job done.  Mommy is not here to pat our bottoms, wipe our noses and calm our tears.  We will all just have to wait it out.  Some may not be aware that Hasselblad is aware of this problem.  Let me assure you that they are.  So please, those terribly put out souls, if they would just pick up the crying towels they have at home and use them and spare the rest of us the repetitive whining that would be great.  And the folks in Gothenburg will put out the firmware when it is good enough to be in the camera.

Thank you.
Elpis

JCM-Photos

For me, a long time X1D shooter, the new X2D is simply not up to that I have, need, appreciate when shooting with the X1D or 907X.

The great feature of the X2D is ibis added to the already best camera in matter shutter vibrations, but it's not a must for me.

Having continuous AF, eye AF, etc. needs new developpments and I can understand that it takes time.
But I really don't understand why they did not take all existing X1D functions that allready exist in house on the X1D and H6, need zero development, or debugging.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

strohscw

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 30, 2023, 09:47:16 PM
But I really don't understand why they did not take all existing X1D functions that allready exist in house on the X1D and H6, need zero development, or debugging.
So I think that if the software transfer from the X1Dii to the X2D was so easy then Hasselblad would certainly have done it.
So I'm with boojum, if I wasn't happy with the current features of the X2D, I wouldn't have bought it but kept and maintained the X1Dii. For me this camera currently has everything I need for landscape, architecture and travel photography. Especially through the IBIS, this camera has opened up travel photography to me in a new way.
Everything that is now added in terms of functions I see as a bonus.
Regarding possible updates, quality is more important to me than speed.

anGy

Not all expected features are equal. Having a complete camera, which works correctly with phocus (histogram...), phocus 2, in tethered mode f.i. are emergencies that HB must fill asap. Having continuous AF and face detection, well, maybe people who are impatiently waiting for that should check out Sony. Anyway, complaining about people complaining...my son stopped doing that a long time ago

boojum

<snip>

Write a lot of code, do you?  Everybody else's job seems easy.  The code would be plugin if the cameras were the same.  It's like expecting your new Accord to run on Dodge Ram software from ten years ago.  I can't believe that this has to be explained in 2023.  It should not need to be.  Again, if this were easy the customer would do it himself.

Code is a ton of dependencies.  It is not in English.  It is possibly not even ugly C, C+ or C++ but some impossibly ugly and difficult to understand Machine Code.  To help you understand the difficulty, something like F9 might mean "Load register 7 and branch to address stored in Register 6."  This is used when space is at a premium and in a camera it may well be.  Wizards and Necromancers write this stuff.  Now write a whole operating system for a brand new camera in that crap.  And write it so 1) It is understandable, 2) Easily readable, 3) Maintainable, 4) Upgradable.  Now do it under immense pressure from your peers, your team, your boss and the jerk down the hall who is everybody's boss and understands about as much about it as you.  If you want to understand what this programming world is like read Dilbert.  It is 100% accurate.  I know.  I worked down the hall from Scott Adams.

So instead of throwing stinkbombs at a bunch of guys who are under horrendous pressure to write impeccable code - remember what they wrote to create images and color - you might just want to start thinking about how damned grateful you should be when it gets done.  And remember that in spite of what is in Genesis the world has not been created for your pleasure and things just do not happen when you want them to happen.  In two words, grow up.
Elpis

JCM-Photos

Please don't go into detailled software speculations nobody appart Hasselblad knows.

The X1D and H6 are much more different X1D and X2D and they made it having very similar ergonomic, even if the original X1D firmware was a nightmare and had to be completely rewritten to work properly.

We are users and photographers, and as such, I appreciate ergonomic and functions I use on a camera when shooting rather than technical specifications compared by youtubers that are not regular users.

People telling on the net that there are wolds in image colors rendition, sharpness and bla bla bla between X1D and X2D are just totally wrong.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

fcarucci

Quote from: boojum on January 30, 2023, 11:32:21 PM

<snip>

Write a lot of code, do you?  Everybody else's job seems easy.  The code would be plugin if the cameras were the same.  It's like expecting your new Accord to run on Dodge Ram software from ten years ago.  I can't believe that this has to be explained in 2023.  It should not need to be.  Again, if this were easy the customer would do it himself.

Code is a ton of dependencies.  It is not in English.  It is possibly not even ugly C, C+ or C++ but some impossibly ugly and difficult to understand Machine Code.  To help you understand the difficulty, something like F9 might mean "Load register 7 and branch to address stored in Register 6."  This is used when space is at a premium and in a camera it may well be.  Wizards and Necromancers write this stuff.  Now write a whole operating system for a brand new camera in that crap.  And write it so 1) It is understandable, 2) Easily readable, 3) Maintainable, 4) Upgradable.  Now do it under immense pressure from your peers, your team, your boss and the jerk down the hall who is everybody's boss and understands about as much about it as you.  If you want to understand what this programming world is like read Dilbert.  It is 100% accurate.  I know.  I worked down the hall from Scott Adams.

So instead of throwing stinkbombs at a bunch of guys who are under horrendous pressure to write impeccable code - remember what they wrote to create images and color - you might just want to start thinking about how damned grateful you should be when it gets done.  And remember that in spite of what is in Genesis the world has not been created for your pleasure and things just do not happen when you want them to happen.  In two words, grow up.

That is very right. The only nitpick would be that I'm very confident code is written in C/C++ for this kind of devices. I used to write C/C++ for GPU firmwares for iPhones in 2012 (when I worked at Apple), so I guess the tool chain for C/C++ for whatever SoC they are using in the X2D exists. Nevertheless, it takes a lot of time and debugging to port software to a new architecture, with a new sensor and all the dedicated hardware downstream.

doc steel

This topic is boring.
Why discuss issues we cant change and have no effect about our developement?
Could, would, did.....
Boring.

braver

For me, a long time X1D shooter, the new X2D is simply not up to that I have, need, appreciate when shooting with the X1D or 907X...
But I really don't understand why they did not take all existing X1D functions that allready exist in house on the X1D and H6...

What features do you have on the X1D that you miss the most on the X2D?

Photon42

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 31, 2023, 12:16:37 AM
Please don't go into detailled software speculations nobody appart Hasselblad knows.

The X1D and H6 are much more different X1D and X2D and they made it having very similar ergonomic, even if the original X1D firmware was a nightmare and had to be completely rewritten to work properly.

We are users and photographers, and as such, I appreciate ergonomic and functions I use on a camera when shooting rather than technical specifications compared by youtubers that are not regular users.

People telling on the net that there are wolds in image colors rendition, sharpness and bla bla bla between X1D and X2D are just totally wrong.

I had the X1D2 and now have the X2D since it came out. It is faster, smoother and has some features I like. Color I would say is mostly identical to the X1D2. I cannot care less about YT and the like, but I have to say this camera seem to have a hardware base. And it is a bit like a Christmas calendar - just we do not know the dates of the doors ...

I am sure there's a reason some of the features present in the X1D2 did not make it into the X2D. And I am also positive some will eventually arrive. But I am a happy camper already with that thing. Great machine, really.

boojum

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 31, 2023, 12:16:37 AM

<snip>

Again, I doubt you have written much code.  I doubt you understand how to.  You are speculating on a subject you know nothing about.  Typical Dunning-Kruger.

Let me break it down for you because there are constants.  You have some hardware.  You want it to do something.  You make up a list of what you want done.  You meet with engineers, marketing, production, management and the software gurus.  A project is designed with goals. Then you cost and time it out, meet again, discuss what is practical and what is not.  What can be done and how much there is in the budget and so on.  When this is all done the project is handed out to a team of analysts and programmers who try to make it work.  And try to make it work in the allowed time .  Good luck, Charlie.  Dependencies and glitches not envisioned will crop up.  They always do.  The project team will be working 12 hour days and more.  And like the White Knight the faster they run the further the goal recedes.  The code itself is not easily understandable but is efficient and it does allow you to shoot yourself in the foot very, very easily.  Are you still with me?

With any luck at all, well, actually a great deal of luck, it will only be moderately late. The bosses always promise more than can be delivered and then work the hell out of the team.  Hopefully after all this pressure the damned package will mostly work.  There will only be a few bugs.  They will be fixed in "updates" released hopefully soon after the major release.

This is not unique to Hasselblad.  It is the business.  When your car goes in for service do you provide hints and pressure to the mechanics?  Do you quarrel with your doctor?  Do you supervise the electrician who comes in to rewire your office or home?  No, probably not because you know nothing about these subjects.  Please accord the same courtesy to the folks writing the firmware.  They aren't telling you how to take pictures.  Really, this is not just buying a light switch at the hardware store.  And remember, people's careers are riding on this firmware.  They really, really want it to be right.

So now tell us about the code you have written.

Elpis

MGrayson

boojum,

I say this as someone who agrees with you 100%, has been there, done that, managed projects (badly), wouldn't trust my own code out of my sight because I know how impossibly difficult it is to write production code that you can hand off to - god forbid! - customers.

And management? They thought coding was like water and electricity - you pay the monthly bill and turn on the tap or plug it in or whatever. I laughed at them and then tried to convince the good coders that they were worth their weight in diamonds.

You can't convince anyone who hasn't done it. The choir believes you and the rest aren't listening. Take a break. Relax. We'll all get what Hasselblad releases, and yelling at each other on this forum isn't going to change a thing. Anyone who wants to influence Hasselblad has $8,000 to not give them. THAT matters.

My first career was as an academic mathematician. At least NO ONE thinks they can tell a mathematician how to do their job. I think coroner is probably the closest in that regard.

Anyway, enjoy the camera. I certainly do!

Best,

Matt

man-overboard

I do too, second whole day of ownership(!) but a lovely camera to own.

marcwick

I did not get a ticket to the Crybaby Olympics ...

For me as a non native speaker ,,Crybaby Olympics" is now my favorite word! You really made my day! And I totally agree with you. The X2D is a wonderful camera, the best I ever had and to me it is the perfect camera for my portrait photography especially with the wonderful XCD lenses. All other features (eye tracking ...) are nice to have, but I also will use the camera daily without the new features. If the features come,ok, if not, I can wait and will use it without any problems

fcarucci

Quote from: MGrayson on February 02, 2023, 12:22:52 AM
boojum,

I say this as someone who agrees with you 100%, has been there, done that, managed projects (badly), wouldn't trust my own code out of my sight because I know how impossibly difficult it is to write production code that you can hand off to - god forbid! - customers.

And management? They thought coding was like water and electricity - you pay the monthly bill and turn on the tap or plug it in or whatever. I laughed at them and then tried to convince the good coders that they were worth their weight in diamonds.

You can't convince anyone who hasn't done it. The choir believes you and the rest aren't listening. Take a break. Relax. We'll all get what Hasselblad releases, and yelling at each other on this forum isn't going to change a thing. Anyone who wants to influence Hasselblad has $8,000 to not give them. THAT matters.

My first career was as an academic mathematician. At least NO ONE thinks they can tell a mathematician how to do their job. I think coroner is probably the closest in that regard.

Anyway, enjoy the camera. I certainly do!

Best,

Matt

So many buddy software engineers here :)