xcd65mm vs xcd55v

Previous topic - Next topic

tenmangu81

Quote from: Dennersten on October 05, 2022, 07:00:07 PM
Quote from: JCM-Photos on October 03, 2022, 05:49:22 AM
Why should shooting be faster with the AF/MF switch on the lens ring in place of the button on top of the camera ?

For me the fastest mixed AF/MF use is : camera in MF mode with back button AF

The usefull novelty of the new lenses is for me the distance scale

Because you can do everything with your left hand. With your eyes on the object.

I do it every day with my X1D and former lenses (without focus ring), too, in manual focus configuration. But I agree it could be easier with the ring. I'll try it very soon.
Robert

JCM-Photos

I know well and for a long time the back and forth movement of the ring before focusing with my Mamiya 145mm SF and it isn't that natural for me, rather not confy.
Perhaps it feels better with these new v series lenses ?
I should get it a try  :)
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SrMi

The fastest way is still BBF: turn the camera to MF, use the AF-D button when you need AF, and use the focus ring when you need MF. No switching is necessary.

tenmangu81

Coming back to the topics of this thread, I am surprised by the "bad" MTF curves of the 55V when compared with those of the 65. But MTF curves are not all, I agree....
Robert

glaiben

Quote from: tenmangu81 on October 07, 2022, 05:57:12 AM
Coming back to the topics of this thread, I am surprised by the "bad" MTF curves of the 55V when compared with those of the 65. But MTF curves are not all, I agree....

Ditto for the 38V vs the 30.

tenmangu81

Yes, and between the 90 and the 90V.....
Robert

Photon42

I have finally decided to trade the 30 and the 45p for a 38. I like the images it produces very much, it is faster in both ways, has a shorter close focus distance and is lighter than the 30. Now I am left with that and the 65 as native lenses and the HC100 and 210. I will probably miss the 30 a little, but not strongly enough ...

Jatero

....and here I am trying to decide between the 90v and 80 1.9  :'(

man-overboard

Quote from: Dennersten on September 29, 2022, 09:45:34 PM

A significant difference is the aperture ring, and the fast switch between autofocus on and off. It makes the camera a lot faster to work with. I have the 55v (not the 60). I have 21,30,45p,45, 80, 120,135. I am possibly buying all three V lenses just because of this.

Yes for me that is a significant difference the aperture ring, I could not understand why any manufacturer would take away that and the depth of field markings.

mikaelo67

Quote from: Jatero on October 12, 2022, 10:29:19 PM
....and here I am trying to decide between the 90v and 80 1.9  :'(

My plan is to keep my 80 because it is a fantastic lens and buy the 90v for portability.

A couple of times before I have written down lens actuations between two lenses and then checked again a few months later to see which lens I have used the most. Pretty interesting. I love my XCD 21mm, but I almost never use it. But in the end, it's not always about what I need. It's more about what I want.

tenmangu81

I have tried the 55V on my X1D II.

Significant improvements:
- Focus ring, with the DoF information : very convenient, faster than the rear button.
- Control ring : very convenient, too. It is possible to customize with ISO sensitivity, and keep the aperture dial and exposure correction on the dials in A mode (that I use most).
- Very light, when compared with the XCD65 (half the weight). And much less bulky.
- Faster AF than the 65, even if still contrast detection, as there is less to move.
- Excellent optical quality. A little bit more distortion, though, when compared with the XCD65 (which has almost zero distortion).
- The FF focal lenghth equivalent of about 43 mm is very pleasant, as closer to the human eye angle of view.

In the end, I bought it  8) ;D
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on October 16, 2022, 11:34:27 PM

- Focus ring, with the DoF information : very convenient, faster than the rear button.

<snip>

What do you mean by "faster than the rear button"?

tenmangu81

Quote from: SrMi on October 17, 2022, 01:43:49 AM

<snip>

The focus ring is easier to manage (push to the front and focus in the same move with the same fingers) than the top AF/MF button (sorry, it is not "rear" but on top !!) and then the focus adjustment.
Robert

SrMi

Quote from: tenmangu81 on October 17, 2022, 05:55:27 AM
Quote from: SrMi on October 17, 2022, 01:43:49 AM

<snip>

The focus ring is easier to manage (push to the front and focus in the same move with the same fingers) than the top AF/MF button (sorry, it is not "rear" but on top !!) and then the focus adjustment.

I see.
However, I think BBF (MF mode, using the AF-D button) is even more convenient.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Like many waiting for the new XCD "V" lenses, my supplier informed me on Thursday that the delivery indication "before end of October" he gave me when I ordered these lenses has now been shifted to "Mid-November" -- and that date is subject to change.