xcd65mm vs xcd55v

Previous topic - Next topic

JCM-Photos

Beeing faster the new photographers myth  ;D
When working in MF mode with back button AF, and auto lupe on, you don't need any ring, the only time lag is the one of the photographers brain, even with an "old" X1D and an "old" XCD lens.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SrMi

With the programmable ring one can control ISO, shutter speed, and aperture with dials.
The faster focusing makes the camera even more fun to use.
The distance ring could be useful in some situations.

I would say that the new V lenses improve ergonomics and are lighter.

tenmangu81

Yes, I could imagine.
Are there people in this thread who compared IQ and "rendering" between the two lenses, if possible ?
Thanks
Robert

Usm

Quote from: tenmangu81 on September 30, 2022, 07:22:18 AM
Yes, I could imagine.
Are there people in this thread who compared IQ and "rendering" between the two lenses, if possible ?
Thanks
There are.
I would suggest to test the lens before buying it.
The transition from sharp to blur is not not the nicest one. But I have to do some tests again, witch takes some time.

All the ring, focus, and speed stuff is  true and nice - but most important ist image quality. 
At least for me.

alextsayun

Quote from: Usm on September 30, 2022, 09:52:14 AM
All the ring, focus, and speed stuff is  true and nice - but most important ist image quality. 

Sounds interesting, but it is nice to have a comparison with the same condition, let's wait maybe somebody will doing it on youtube :)

mar-ko

I just shot a – very unscientific "quick & dirty" – test with XCD 45P, 55v and 65,
with apertures from "open" to f 11 in 1-stop-increments.

You can download the zip archive with the JPGs (straight out of camera) files here:

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/036gj7hQmUw038NTJ6qVPoLfg#XCD_45P_-_55v_-_65
size: 1,1 GB

– I will remove the file around October 15th. –

Shooting parameters:

• X2D on heavy tripod
• stabilisation OFF
• Electronic Shutter *)
• 14 bit mode (e-shutter readout time is 166ms instead of 370ms in 16 bit)
• WB: "Daylight"
• ISO: 64
• Manual Mode, aperture set to desired value, shutter adjusted accordingly to value initially measured with external light meter.
• 14 bit mode (e-shutter readout time is 166ms – instead of 370ms in 16 bit)
• Weather conditions: sunny, a little wind (so branches can be moving!)

*) e-shutter, because I may return the 55v and I don't want to add actuations to the lens' counter.

I have (auto)focussed each shot at the leaves indicated in the picture "target.jpg" attached (and included in the archive). There was a slight wind going from time to time, so AF may be off by a little because of "subject movement".

Can you pick your favourite lens based on the image quality?

alextsayun

Quote from: mar-ko on October 01, 2022, 03:15:14 AM

I would say XCD 65 is the best here but 55v is pretty close.

tenmangu81

Difficult. There is no real difference to me, taking into account that making one's mind judging from jpeg compressed images is not the best way to do it.
Robert

mar-ko

Quote from: tenmangu81 on October 01, 2022, 08:29:44 AM

Difficult. There is no real difference to me, taking into account that making one's mind judging from jpeg compressed images is not the best way to do it.

I think it should be enough information / quality in a 100 MP file. (At least better than a Youtube video.) I can not find big differences in these pictures, either (nor in the raw files).
Anyway, I'm not going to upload .fff files, sorry.

For me, it remains true, that with XCD lenses you can just pick the focal length/aperture you want—optically they are all very good.

outside_late

ashdown

I have assumed that the main reason for building these lenses was to keep up with the upcoming continuous focus tracking which might be problematic for at least some of the older lenses. It is good to see that there doesn't seem to have been much compromise made in the optical design when designing lenses to be smaller and faster.

JCM-Photos

Why should shooting be faster with the AF/MF switch on the lens ring in place of the button on top of the camera ?

For me the fastest mixed AF/MF use is : camera in MF mode with back button AF

The usefull novelty of the new lenses is for me the distance scale
Sharpen your eyes not your files

tenmangu81

Robert

ashdown

Quote from: JCM-Photos on October 03, 2022, 05:49:22 AM
Why should shooting be faster with the AF/MF switch on the lens ring in place of the button on top of the camera ?

I'm sure in one of the launch videos they spoke about designing a smaller lighter focussing mechanism.

Dennersten

Quote from: JCM-Photos on October 03, 2022, 05:49:22 AM

Because you can do everything with your left hand. With your eyes on the object.