X2D and RRS L bracket

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanford

My X2D is on its way. Have anyone tried the X1D Really Right Stuff "L" bracket with the X2D?

Gravastar

Please see the following post on DPR:  https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66474325

To quote as a summary "I fitted, for the time being, the RRS BX1D L-plate I had on my X1D II, even though it clearly does not fit well and will have to be removed if the battery is to be replaced."

The post also contains images showing the RRS bracket mounted on the X2D.

SrMi

I contacted RRS about a plate for X2D. If you want it made, you should also contact RRS. Here is their reply:

I am happy to hear about your excitement for this plate! Currently, we are tracking customer demand for this camera, and we haven't finalized our plans concerning this camera yet. Due to the number of inquiries, it is likely a plate will be made, but we don't have anything to announce at the moment. Once we do, such an announcement would probably first come from our newsletter, so I'd recommend subscribing if you haven't already.

stephanbruehl

Quote from: SrMi on October 06, 2022, 03:14:53 AM
I contacted RRS about a plate for X2D. If you want it made, you should also contact RRS. Here is their reply:

I am happy to hear about your excitement for this plate! Currently, we are tracking customer demand for this camera, and we haven't finalized our plans concerning this camera yet. Due to the number of inquiries, it is likely a plate will be made, but we don't have anything to announce at the moment. Once we do, such an announcement would probably first come from our newsletter, so I'd recommend subscribing if you haven't already.

I got the same answer...  let's hope there is enough interest. I only fear that it will be awfully expensive.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: Gravastar on September 22, 2022, 11:34:36 AM
Please see the following post on DPR:  https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66474325
To quote as a summary "I fitted, for the time being, the RRS BX1D L-plate I had on my X1D II, even though it clearly does not fit well and will have to be removed if the battery is to be replaced."
The post also contains images showing the RRS bracket mounted on the X2D.

Yes this was my post and I am still using the RRS bracket -- hoping that they will produce a better product soon

sruegnit

I just tried my RRS X1D II 50c bracket on my X2D 100c. Nope you can't get the battery in or out without taking the bracket off. I got the same answer from RRS as two other posts above. For the short term I am using the Tethered Tools cable block as a basic mount until a real bracket comes along.

MGrayson

I picked up a used X1D version 1 in advance of the X2D. Knowing it would be a relegated to backup duty, I didn't want to spring for another RRS L-bracket. Someone mentioned the Arca-Swiss universal bracket. I didn't think it could work well, as it has no pin or edge that will lock it to the X1D (or X2D, for that matter). And yet, it has performed so perfectly, that I may just use it on the X2D and not wait for RRS.

Michael H. Cothran

I am using an older Kirk universal L bracket on my X2D until a fitted one is available. I too was skeptical at first that it would work since there is no usable "locking" device on the Kirk universal L bracket. However, it has worked flawlessly so far. I have to extend the left side about an inch away from the camera so as to allow the side doors to open, and also to allow access underneath for the battery trigger to operate. It makes a great left-handed grip also!

Bob Foster

I had an exchange of e-mails with a contact at RRS last week regarding a L-plate for the X2D. It's my understanding that the marketing and product development teams within RRS intend to make a batch of L-plates for this camera. However, as the product is under development it isn't possible for RRS to speculate on when this may become available.

Bob

Photon42

This link was posted in the getdpi forum recently: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804788495274.html

I had a specific RSS bracket for the X1D but now I am not sure I will buy one again. It is nice to have this bespoke fit but it is also heavy and honestly on a tripod I do landscape orientation 99% of the time.

TimH

I used RRS L-backets for years, but while waiting for the them to make one for the X2d, I bought the Arca-Swiss Classic 802306 L-bracket.  It works great, doesn't interfere with the battery removal,  and with the levers, you can easily remove the card.  I may just use this one permanently.  Here it is on BH website:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723386-REG/Arca_Swiss_802306_Universal_L_Bracket.html

man-overboard

Looks good thanks for the info.

MGrayson

Quote from: TimH on December 04, 2022, 07:40:48 AM
I used RRS L-backets for years, but while waiting for the them to make one for the X2d, I bought the Arca-Swiss Classic 802306 L-bracket.  It works great, doesn't interfere with the battery removal,  and with the levers, you can easily remove the card.  I may just use this one permanently.  Here it is on BH website:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723386-REG/Arca_Swiss_802306_Universal_L_Bracket.html

With the X2D here, I have reached the same conclusion.

JoeC

Quote from: MGrayson on December 04, 2022, 08:03:41 AM
Quote from: TimH on December 04, 2022, 07:40:48 AM

With the X2D here, I have reached the same conclusion.

Me too. Works great and isn't unique to the X2D.

Joe

mjhillsc

The X1D II RRS bracket(s) don't fit as the X2D is a slightly different shape.  Trying to fit them will likely scratch the bottom of the X2D.  I'm using a Peak Design generic camera plate until RRS comes out with a X2D plate.