Any H lenses worth using in X system?

Previous topic - Next topic

maxct

I was wondering if any H lenses provide anything unique or special that would make it worth using on the X system that you can't get with XCD lenses? In other words, is the adapter really only worth getting if you already have H lenses and would like to also use them on the X system (putting cost aside).

Thanks!

outside_late

I don't own an H body, I bought an X1DII and the H adapter with the intention of trying out some H lenses.  I bought a 120 Macro and really love it.  I'd like to try the 210 and 300, but haven't yet.  For me having the opportunity to purchase H lenses for a fraction of the cost of a new X lens is one benefit.  I think every lens has a character of it's own, it's nice to have choices.

ashdown

The 100mm is an interesting lens. Not as technically perfect as the XCD 80mm but beautifully imperfect wide open. A nice characterful portrait lens and quite a different look to the native lenses. The 300mm is the only other lens that isn't really covered by the XCD line if you have a use for it.

pchong

I have used my H lenses on the 907. Works well. And the HC 4/120 has no equivalent in XCD that does to 1X magnification. So that's a great shoe-in.

Quote from: outside_late on February 04, 2022, 05:13:14 PM
I don't own an H body, I bought an X1DII and the H adapter with the intention of trying out some H lenses.  I bought a 120 Macro and really love it.  I'd like to try the 210 and 300, but haven't yet.  For me having the opportunity to purchase H lenses for a fraction of the cost of a new X lens is one benefit.  I think every lens has a character of it's own, it's nice to have choices.

JCM-Photos

For me the only great interest of H lenses on the X System is the HTS. For current focal lenses the H system is way too big and heavy.

Other solutions that cover this gap are V system Flexbody and Arcbody with the CFV II 50c back of the 907X

With a slightly long focal length I use an adapted Mamiya shift lens Sekor C 50mm that works very well, a today really inexpensive lens.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SMurphy

Quote from: pchong on February 05, 2022, 02:58:48 PM
I have used my H lenses on the 907. Works well. And the HC 4/120 has no equivalent in XCD that does to 1X magnification. So that's a great shoe-in.

I'm another who chose the HC 4/120 for 1x magnification -> it works beautifully on my X1D II.

SeanRL

Should mention for people not working in the studio that the HC 4/120mm weighs in at 3.1 lb / 1410 g.

fh29

I like the HC80 paired with the XH0.8 converter, it gives you a normal lens with a smoother look (compared to the XCD65).
The HC120 is no-brainer too if you need 1:1 magnification.

sog1927

I use the 210 (got it before the 135+TC combination was available).

SeanRL

Quote from: sog1927 on February 13, 2022, 03:06:21 PM
I use the 210 (got it before the 135+TC combination was available).

Interested to hear about your experience with image quality / autofocus.

S

Geruvah

The H lenses aren't as tack sharp as XCD, but they're still really up there.

I think it's great if you have a lens that needs to bridge a gap you have in the lens lineup if you don't have it. Otherwise, buy the XCD equivalent if you can.

Photon42

I am using a funny combo, which gives me quite a number of different focal lengths. Maybe some food for thought.

Two lenses: HC210 (non OD) and HC100 (OD)
HC TC 1.7x
XH Adapters 0.8 and 1.0

Resulting focal lengths range from 80mmm to 357mm: 80, 100, 136, 168, 170, 210, 286, 357. OK ... not all combinations are always reasonable in terms of setup and weight and I even tried them out all, but the 100 with the 0.8 and the 100 with the TC work really well. AF also works with the TC.

outside_late

I currently have the XH adapter (1.0) and using the HC 120 and HC 210.

I'm interested in the XH adapater .8 could anyone share any experience in comparison to the XH adapter 1.0?  Is there any/much difference in how out of focus areas are rendered when shooting wide open?  Is the size/weight about the same as using the 1.0 adapter?

Thanks!

Photon42

The out-of-focus areas change to becoming more bokehlishious and of course will be less compressed (less tele, if that makes sense). The specific difference is down to the particular combination. And of course all of your photos will become more better by magic  8)
The 0.8 adapter adds round about 250g to the equation, compared to the 1.0 adapter. Something you will notice handheld.The physical size is the same. The weight of the adapter itself is 430g - Hasselblad provides all the data in the spec sheet, accessible through their web page.
I also bought a tripod collar for the XH adapter ...

Glaumax

Just a question for H lenses users.

Do you need to use the electronic shutter of the camera with H lenses?

Thanks.