HC150 shutter problem

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Hello,
I come back to my HC150 whose shutter sometimes hangs. I tried it on my X1D with the XH ring: (obviously no problem with an electronic shutter) the shutter often releases after 4 or 5 clicks, click, click, click, click... and the picture is perfect. It would rather make me think of an electronic failure (capacitor ...). Is it possible for a careful handyman to carry out the replacement of the capacitors in this model of lens, without too specific tools ... You had suggested to me that it was complicated, but ...
Beautiful pictures to all,
Alain (from France)

docholliday

The caps used in these lenses are typically Nichicons and shouldn't fail easily. The only reason I could think of them failing is keeping them in a very hot environment (>110°C) for a very extended period of time. I highly doubt it's any issue with caps.

ALAIN

Thank you. I think it's difficult to repair this beautiful lens...

ALAIN

Sorry I take about the electronic condensers, the electronic components !

docholliday

Quote from: ALAIN on July 13, 2021, 02:19:55 AM
Sorry I take about the electronic condensers, the electronic components !
Yes, that's what I'm talking about also... we haven't called them condensers in decades. They're capacitors or "caps".

The Nichicons used in the shutters rarely fail. Most caps only fail under very high heat, very high ripple, or extended overvoltage. None of those conditions exist inside lenses and even if it did, Nichicons tend to be more tolerant than cheap capacitors.

ALAIN

Ok ok, then the blocking from time to time of the shutter of the 150 must come from elsewhere ... and the repair seems indeed impossible oneself, and very expensive by Hasselblad: more expensive than a good 150 second hand !!!

docholliday

Quote from: ALAIN on July 13, 2021, 08:54:27 PM
Ok ok, then the blocking from time to time of the shutter of the 150 must come from elsewhere ... and the repair seems indeed impossible oneself, and very expensive by Hasselblad: more expensive than a good 150 second hand !!!

Yes, service on the lens is ridiculous and it's often cheaper to buy a used one instead. The only "good" thing about getting the shutter replaced is that they'll most likely replace it with a new shutter module and it'll become an orange dot version upon return.

There's more to that board than just caps. There's a few processors, support components, and the magnetic drive coils themselves. It could be something as simple as bad solder (not very likely since these seem to be hand soldered in many points) or the coils not pulling correctly.

I had a 100HC that would do weird things with the shutter - turned out that there was a metal shaving which had fallen down into the lens and was stuck to the magnet on one side. Another lens, a 50HC, would randomly close the shutter on mounting the lens and stay down until the camera was fired/cycled once. That was simply the lens side contacts needing loosened and scooted over about .5mm. It's been perfect since that adjustment.

ALAIN

Ok, thank you !
It is true that all this makes you want to repair it for the X1D + converter XH x0.8.
It's still much cheaper than an XCD135, but HCD150 with results perhaps less beautiful renderings (and quick autofocus and ergonomic...).
I will hesitate a long time I think;)

ALAIN

I disassembled the back of the HC150: The plastic casing with 3 screws, the metal bayonet with 4 screws and the other casing (with the serial number). The solderings of the small circuit of the contacts look ok.
I would love to disassemble (from the front I think) more to access the shutter, but I don't see how.
I tried after reassembling the small part that had been dismantled: still the same shutter defect: claq claq claq xlaq (instead of a single claq of course) and the photo is taken with a random exposure.

ALAIN

Hello,
I would like to take this HC150 apart from the front.
The circle where is written "Hasselblad - 77mm - 3.2 / 150N" prevents access to the 2 notches of the first ring.
I don't know how we have to dismantle this circle?
Thank you in advance for your help,
Alain (from France)

Bashir Lunat

Probabaly a rubber lens tool? I hope you know what you are doing. Regards.

docholliday

Quote from: ALAIN on July 16, 2021, 12:42:04 AM
Hello,
I would like to take this HC150 apart from the front.
The circle where is written "Hasselblad - 77mm - 3.2 / 150N" prevents access to the 2 notches of the first ring.
I don't know how we have to dismantle this circle?
Thank you in advance for your help,
Alain (from France)

You'd use a very large rubber stopper. Just press down onto the ring and twist. I've also been able to unscrew that ring with just my two thumbs, you have to keep the pressure very even to get it to move.

ALAIN

Thank you very much i I order a rubber lens tool silicon 77mm, probably delivered middle august.
(impossible only with fingers).
Alain

ALAIN

Hello,

I now have the necessary tools.

So I started to prepare a suitable workstation and I started to disassemble the 150 from the front, in order to reach the shutter.
Removal of the front optical unit, removal of the small floating optical unit and its support, including the 3 parts which slide into the autofocus ramps, and unscrewing of the autofocus control.
I see the shutter now but I would have to dismantle the large dark gray plastic part (about 4cm high), the one that comes in the one where the 2 cogwheels are. I have removed the 3 screws in the back, but nothing moves! If an idea could unblock me ... Thank you in advance.

Bravo for all these beautiful medals!

Goodbye,

Alain (from France)

ALAIN

Hello,
Oh, I unscrewed the motor module from the autofous and that allowed me to remove the ring carrying the 3 gabled wheels.
The famous large piece about 4cm deep still does not move, although the 3 screws are removed.
The diaphragm works well, the shutter always locks in the middle position. Simply remove the lens from the housing to clear the fault and start over.
I would like to have the confirmation that we can reach the shutter from the front of the lens: this famous large piece that does not want to let me have doubts :)
Best regards,
Alain (from France)
PS : I don't how send for the forum a photo of this piece clocked...