• Discharge of the battery after one week in the X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitric

I think there is already a topic about this.
But I can't find it and so I don't know if there is a solution.

Every time I come back from taking pictures I recharge my batteries.
After a week, I noticed that the one left in the X1D has lost sometimes up to 10% of its charge.
Apart from thinking about removing the battery, is there a solution to avoid this problem?

Thank you

- Dimitri

disposable@tx.rr.com

I think what you are seeing may be pretty much normal behavior.

Gravastar

Yes, my X1D II does that as well although the time seems to be longer than 1 week to lose 10%.

Bob.

Iskander

Gravastar

If you remove the battery I don't know how long the internal circuit board super capacitor can keep the internal calendar/clock running. It's kept topped up by the main removable battery.

Bob.

Vieri

I can confirm, that's pretty normal behaviour. The camera needs battery energy to keep its internal battery topped up. Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

Dimitric

Hi guys -

THANK YOU very for your time and your reply.
@Vieri, it's good to "read you".

I was wondering, is that typical to the X1D? I never noticed that with my previous cameras (not Hasselblad)

Enjoy your day.

- Dimitri

disposable@tx.rr.com

Quote from: Dimitric on March 13, 2021, 01:35:42 AM
I was wondering, is that typical to the X1D? I never noticed that with my previous cameras (not Hasselblad)

- Dimitri

I hadn't actually thought about it until you asked, but in comparison to our Nikons (various and many), Pentax and other Hasselblad MF, and particular Leica, I'd think that in my experience the camera-off drain is a bit higher.  Don't take that to the bank though, that's just my impression.

docholliday

I have my backup IQ250 that's had the same battery sitting it in for over 4 months. The battery drain was less than 10% in that period of time. My backup H5D has also had the same battery sitting in it's grip for over 4 months and still shows 100% when I powered it up shortly ago. The IQ didn't always do that as it used to drain heavily when the battery was left in. A few firmware reflashes and resets solved that issue and all my IQ backs have been stable since with batteries left in all the time.

If a backup battery/supercap was discharging the main battery at a high rate, that's a faulty battery/cap. Those should draw nil when they aren't in use with the main power source present. It's more likely that a soft switch or trigger power circuit is active (to detect the press of the power button) and is drawing a fairly high current (relatively speaking, as 10ma would be considered high on these circuits). Most cars allow for up to 70-100ma draw when not running and is considered to be WNP.

10% over a week could be considered normal on some devices.

Iceman1331

According to the X1D Manual, Sec. 3.30, HB recommends that battery to be removed from the camera when it is planned for long term storage without being used to protect internal circuit. I have not seen any HB official instructions about keeping the rechargeable battery in the camera to keep the internal memory intact even though the camera will be in long term storage.

Dimitric

Hello -

Yesterday evening I charged my battery at 100%.
I heard the "beep" of the dual charger to say that it was charged.
And this morning when I turned on the X1DII, it told me that the battery was only 84% charged!!!

- Dimitri

disposable@tx.rr.com

Quote from: Dimitric on April 04, 2021, 02:22:51 AM
Hello -

And this morning when I turned on the X1DII, it told me that the battery was only 84% charged!!
- Dimitri
I'm assuming that the camera is completely turned off and not just in sleep for part of this period.

I would be inclined to:
1). try the same test again and see if you get the same results
2). repeat the test but this time with the battery left OUTSIDE the camera
3)  purchase a new battery from a reputable source and conduct both the same tests
4). if none of the above addresses the issue perhaps a service center visit is in order

Photon42

Quote from: Dimitric on April 04, 2021, 02:22:51 AM
Hello -

And this morning when I turned on the X1DII, it told me that the battery was only 84% charged!!!

- Dimitri

I just took my X1D2 out after three weeks of not doing anything with it. The Battery charge was still 100%.

Iskander

I did the same with my X1DII. The Battery charge was still 100% after three weeks.

docholliday

Also note that not all Li-Ion chargers/batteries reach 100% when a charger says it's done. Many chargers are actually closer to about 95-98% when they chime or "stop". This is due to the way that cutoff is determined and most chargers will continue to trickle the remaining few percent when left in the charger for another 15-30 mins. If a charger "full-throttle" charged to 100%, it would actually overshoot the target and reduce the life of or catastrophically damage the cells.

Some modern rapid chargers go full-throttle from 0 to around 75% ("rapid"), then slow down until around 95% ("normal") at which point they drop to a trickle. The CC-CV curve is not a smooth curve. Good chargers will not show full at this point, but with everybody expecting to fast top-off and go, some do switch to "full" just to indicate that it's good enough.

New, "un-formed" cells are also worse in that their "full" may actually be closer to 80% for a few full charge/discharge cycles as the chemistry and lithium matrix may still be settling. Packs with built-in monitoring may take a few solid cycles to properly determine/calibrate to the cells full and empty ranges.

These are the reasons that many companies recommend giving new packs a full 24-hour constant charge, even though the charger will show completed in just an hour or two. It's also the reason that many user manuals will mention that battery gauges may take a few cycles to become accurate.