• Unable to finish the exposure - error 85 ( = no picture saved on the card)

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitric

Hello -

Sorry... I hate to begin a topic like that but I'm furious    :-[

Today, It was the first time I used the X1DII on the field since I applied the FIRMWARE 1.3.0
I shot with the X1DII + XCD21 and with X1DII + the brand new Canon 16-35 f2.8 III I just bought (adaptator is the Techart TCX-01with latest firmware also).
I shot on a tripod with "Self timer" set on 3 seconds.

After 3 pictures, the problems began:

• First problem  —>   /!\ Error 85, can't finish the exposure. At this time the X1DII already asks me to shutdown the camera.
  • Second problem  —>   Camera wasn't able to display the picture
  • Third problem  —>   I tried to shutdown the camera by pressing the dedicated button. Process began but without success. After 1 minute, I decided to fully remove the battery.
  • Fourth problem  —>  Each time I restart the camera, they were NO pictures on the memory card

Of course:
   •    I changed the memory card (kind of cards I never encountered problems with before).
   •    I formatted the memory card (with the camera itself).
   •    I changed of memory slot SD1 to SD2.
   •    I changed the battery (charged at 100%).
   •    I checked the electronics contact, they seem to be clean.

I carried out these operations several times but no success.

Arriving at home I was expecting to find some of the pictures I took, but my memory cards were both empty   :P :P :P
I'm just really upset about this.
And in one week, I'm going for a short business trip. I really need to have the X1DII working perfectly.

Any good advice?
Thank you, I'm really desperate.

Regards,

- Dimitri

cheng8907

I got the same error message when I took photos two days ago with the same setup as yours (1.3.0 firmware, canon 16-35/2.8 and Zeiss otus 55/1.4 + techart adapter with 4.0 firmware and self timer 5 seconds).

I was shooting exposure bracketing (5 bracket) mode and the error message popped up four times in my entire 100 photos session, as you said there was no image recorded when it happened and I had to reboot my camera.

I thought it might be the overheating (35 degrees Celsius ambient temperature) and extended exposure time (some of my EV+1 shutter speed was well over 2 mins).

I did have most of my photos recorded and only those interrupted by the error message were lost.

disposable@tx.rr.com

Did this issue first occur before or after your first use of the adapter?  I gather that it is now occurring whether you use the adapter or not.

Just as an aside, whenever I encounter one of these Poltergueist-in the CPU sort of issues the first thing I do is a full reset of the camera.  Seems to solve a lot of issues for me, many of which have been the result of user settings.  Not suggesting that's the case with your issue, just something to try.

Sometimes people can also solve difficult issues by reinstalling the firmware, which would also include a lens firmware reinstall.

Just an uninformed WAG, but I think the adapter might be questionable.

Dimitric

Hello Postnobills -

NO, the second time.
But between the first and the second time (when the problems began) the Canon lens was stuck on the X1D = I didn't remove it.
And after that I decided to remove this lens and put back the XCD21.

- Dimitri

Dimitric

Thx for your advice.
In the meantime, I had already reapplied the 1.3.0 firmware.
I guess I have to back in the field to see if it's already better.

I really hope so, since I was really upset.  :P

- Dimitri

disposable@tx.rr.com

Might also think about rebooting the adapter.

Switch off the camera
Press and hold the silver button on the adapter
Switch on the camera
Release the button
Wait for 5 seconds before using
Repeat above steps if it doesnt work

After having read the, shall we say, underwhelming reviews on B & H, I'm inclined to question whether your adapter caused a problem.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1454581-REG/techart_pro_techefx1d_autofocus_adapter_for_canon.html/reviews

Vieri

Gentlemen,

I reviewed the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 & f/4 on the X1D II, with Firmware 1.2.0, and didn't encounter any of these problems. I haven't installed FW 1.3.0 yet, so at present my cameras still do work fine with the TCX-01 and Canon 16-35mm f/2.8. On a side note, we always need to remember than when using such adapters / accessories we are using third party, non-officially supported gear - the burden to make these work is on the third party manufacturer and on us for choosing to use them, not on Hasselblad.

About the situation, it might be just a hunch, but have you tried to reload FW 1.2.0 and see if that fixed the problem? When releasing FW updates, besides what they announce, manufacturers add bug fixes and "under the hood" changes they don't even bother to disclose, but perhaps they changed something that is making the TCX-01 behave worse on FW 1.3.0 than it did on FW 1.2.0. Maybe is nothing, but maybe it's worth a try.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

Dimitric

Hi Vieri -

QuoteOn a side note, we always need to remember than when using such adapters / accessories we are using third party, non-officially supported gear - the burden to make these work is on the third party manufacturer and on us for choosing to use them, not on Hasselblad.

I couldn't agree more.
Now, let's say it's "always the wrong moment" when something doesn't work.

How do I re-download the old firmware?
And is it really safe to re-apply old firmware (to downgrade)?
As said, I re-applied the 1.3.0 firmware.
And reformatted the cards with an external application.
Since then it seems to be going better. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed.
What an irony, having to keep your fingers crossed to make your hardware work.   :-\

- Dimitri

Vieri

Quote from: Dimitric on August 08, 2020, 05:11:19 AM
Hi Vieri -

QuoteOn a side note, we always need to remember than when using such adapters / accessories we are using third party, non-officially supported gear - the burden to make these work is on the third party manufacturer and on us for choosing to use them, not on Hasselblad.

I couldn't agree more.
Now, let's say it's "always the wrong moment" when something doesn't work.

How do I re-download the old firmware?
And is it really safe to re-apply old firmware (to downgrade)?
As said, I re-applied the 1.3.0 firmware.
And reformatted the cards with an external application.
Since then it seems to be going better. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed.
What an irony, having to keep your fingers crossed to make your hardware work.   :-\

- Dimitri

Hello Dimitri,

you can find the previous FW versions on your "My Hasselblad" page, under FW 1.3.0 it writes "PREVIOUS VERSIONS", which should be pretty much self-explanatory. Choose the one you like, download it and try to upload it on the camera. I have never done that, so I cannot say anything about how safe it is, perhaps you could send an email to H's tech support and ask, just to make sure.

About the irony, I don't quite see it like that, sorry. The rationale is that if we stick to supported gear everything works fine, without the need to cross fingers or anything. If we don't stick to supported gear, on the other hand, as I said before it's on us - in Italian there is a say, "Chi è causa del suo mal, pianga se stesso" which translates more or less into "who is creating his own troubles / pains, should blame himself"... I think it perfectly applies to us using Techart adapters and Canon lenses (and you know I do as well, so I am in the same boat as you) :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

Dimitric

Hello Vieri -

Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you for your help a & your pov about the "irony" (even if I don't share it entirely, but that's why we call it points of view, isn't it...)

- Dimitri