Hasselblad discontinues Repair & Support Services

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gahran

Reported to me today by Capture Integration of Atlanta:

"Discontinued Products Announcement

Dear Partner,

Effective July 1, 2013 Hasselblad AB (Sweden) will discontinue Repair & Support Services for the following products:

Hasselblad Imacon Ixpress range including H1D
Flextight Precision, Flextight Photo, Flextight 343 scanners
CFH-22, CFH-39
CF-22, CF-22MS, CF-39, CF-39MS
H2D-22, H2D-39, H3D-22, H3D-39

The discontinuation of Repair & Support Services is due to the complexity and expense involved, as well as limited parts availability from our partners and suppliers. In addition software and firmware development for these products are also discontinued."

So, buy into the H-System or go home...

NickT

There is a third party taking over repairs, but I can see this is going to be an unpopular move..
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

martinnz

If this is correct info then I see its time to move on. My H3d39 was an expensive product and if there is no service its value will crash I think. If this is the way its going then its time for a rethink.

martinnz

If Hasselblad are not going to look after their customer base then why buy into it. Plans were still to go for H4 or even H5 but this has really got me fired up. I will have to restrain myself from listing my gear tonight. When I first started with a H2D the support was superb. Communication was good and I got regular updates from Hasselblad.  It has been dropping off over the years and now almost nothing.   

Chris Gahran

NickT: "There is a third party taking over repairs, but I can see this is going to be an unpopular move..."

Nick, who, where and when?

Everyone who has value in their equipment is about to take a loss. Perfectly usable Imacon 4040s (for product work) were selling for
$2-4,000 US a year ago are now selling for under a thousand dollars. See eBay item number: 200924565617. Eight bidders ran the price up to $655.50. Is it a coincidence that last year Hasselblad announced they were no longer servicing 4040 digital backs?

davidthescot

Whilst I too bemoan the fact that Hasselblad are no longer supporting these early products there is another side to the equation.  Secondhand values of H3D-2-31's and 39's are now quite low and offer a cost effective upgrade path for those with earlier products.  Digital cameras are not the same as mechanical film cameras in that the benefits of new larger sensors, better firmware and improved operating controls and characteristics are worth having.  In addition the cost of ownership has to be considered and depreciation factored in to give a total cost.  As these cameras get older the cost of repairs as a percentage of value or cost of replacement with a slightly newer model rises.

My philosophy is to upgrade from one used camera to the next staying one model range behind and often six to eighteen months or so after the new range has been announced.  At this point there are often significant numbers of low usage cameras around.

I started with an H3D-31, moved to an H3D-2-39, then to and H4d-50 (upgraded H3D-2) and now to an H4D60.  In a year or so I will buy an H5D-60 or 80?.  Using this method I have saved around 40-50% of the list price and still got good prices for my part exchange or sale of the older camera.

This has kept my  capital cost to a reasonable level and in my opinion provided me with a good deal on cost of ownership.

I just wish I could persuade myself to follow the same philosophy when I buy a car!  ;D

bdp

Egad, what the hell are we meant to do!

They haven't even got the H5D firmware perfected yet and at the same time they announce they are no longer supporting anything older than H4 series cameras. That is a very narrow window of working usable cameras that you can own... Basically get an H4... until they drop support for that.

However if this means they can spend more energy and money on new/current hardware, more time on improving software etc then I suppose it's good for the brand.

If it's cost cutting out of desperation then that's bad. But all companies drop support for older products when they can't get the parts anymore to service them. It's the pace of changing technology I suppose.

Ben

KeithL

Quote from: bdp on July 09, 2013, 08:05:19 PM

They haven't even got the H5D firmware perfected yet and at the same time they announce they are no longer supporting anything older than H4 series cameras.

Not sure if this is correct, there's no mention in the list of the H3D-11 series cameras being unsupported. Can anyone confirm?

Whatever, it is bad news.

bdp

Sorry, my mistake. I just read 'H3D-22 and H3D-39' in the first post at the top and forgot there was a I and II series. I wrongly assumed ALL H3 series support was stopping, and reacted when perhaps my blood sugar was a little low...  ;D

Didn't mean to cause any alarm.

Ben

KeithL

Hi Ben

No problem.

It would be reassuring to have confirmation that the H3D-11 series are still supported.

NickT

Quote from: Chris Gahran on July 09, 2013, 05:01:09 PM

Nick, who, where and when?

Here you go Chris:

"The discontinuation of Repair & Support Services due to the complexity and expense involved, as well as limited parts availability from our partners and suppliers, also goes along with the cessation of software and firmware development for these products.
Repair & Support for Ixpress backs, Flextight Precision and Flextight 343 scanners will continue via an authorised third-party repair centre: B23. B23 is a Danish repair centre founded by former Hasselblad Service Manager Jimmy Bjaaland. Contact details can be found within the Service & Support section of the Hasselblad website."
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

martinnz

Hello Nick

Whats the story with the H2 and H3 will they also be looked after by them. Thanks Martin

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Authorised support in various countries may be the way forward. Jimmy Bjaaland has gone from being an ex Hasselblad service man to supporting the older digital products independently and I offer authorised support for V system in the UK and have registered an interest in doing more.

I love the product and have the greatest admiration for the people in this forum. however I have no privileged information and I look forward to favourable developments as you all do. I hope my contributions to this and other forums are proof of my commitment and experience.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

KeithL

Search as I might I can find no mention of the discontinuation of support and services on the various Hasselblad sites.

This situation needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency so that Hasselblad customers can make informed decisions.

martinnz

Agreed and normally for a service support discontinuation a notice period would be given. The original post noted discontinuation from 1 July ie backdated !! And we have not been informed formally. Surely a reputable company such as Hasselblad would not behave in this way. Time for Hasselblad to speak up