Hasselblad discontinues Repair & Support Services

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithL

Quote from: Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V on July 10, 2013, 06:29:05 PM
Authorised support in various countries may be the way forward. Jimmy Bjaaland has gone from being an ex Hasselblad service man to supporting the older digital products independently and I offer authorised support for V system in the UK and have registered an interest in doing more.

I love the product and have the greatest admiration for the people in this forum. however I have no privileged information and I look forward to favourable developments as you all do. I hope my contributions to this and other forums are proof of my commitment and experience.

I can't help thinking it would have been better for customer relations if Hasselblad had arranged and set up authorised support before going public on their own discontinuation of service and support.

Douglas, I hope for the sake of loyal Hasselblad customers that future service for these cameras and backs ends up in safe hands such as your own.

rsmphoto

Sorry to say, this information cemented my departure from Hasselblad and strongly hints at, to me at least, a continuing downsizing and consolidation in an attempt to cut ones losses.  I continue to worry about Hasselblad's commitment long term to the future  (since the Ventizz purchase for reasons previously outlined on this site) as a serious MFD innovator and provider to professionals.  In any case, I'm moving on to another mfr. whose longevity, R&D direction, philosophy, quality and support seem more in line with what I want and expect, from a professional standpoint.  You might say, like Derek, I've lost the faith.  I must say though, I've owned and used Hasselblad professionally since pre-1980, and I've thoroughly enjoyed and valued working with all the sales/support people I've come in contact with from Hasselblad over that time, and of course NickT and those others who were so helpful early on, from the Flexframe site.

Cheers,

Richard

Dustbak

I Have just upgraded one body towards a H5D40. Sofar I am not that impressed. The H5 is simply feels like not yet finished, just like my H4D60 feels like it is not finished. After several people left HB there seems to be no contact anymore with HB users like there was before. To be frank I have more contact with people from the 'other side' currently!!!

The H5 is slow currently and has features not yet implemented. The H4D60 is still not 100% when shooting tethered, even with the new cables! I feel like I am a guinea pig and not even appreciated for that which sucks!

I have just upgraded so currently I have no real need to do anything but HB needs to speak up and show it takes its current H users seriously or my next upgrade will have IQ or Leaf in its name...

Domip

Reading all this... I'm going to save me lot of money by continuing working with my older equipment !
:-\

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

I just want to say that Hasselblad's service and support provision has been second to none over these many years. Naturally I am disappointed about my own change of circumstances and I have made my decision about what I am going to do about it.
Things are still changing and the world may no longer enjoy some of the best support that could be got but good experienced and qualified support still exists and that is not the case for all products out there.
We all feel the disappointment and uncertainly this news brings and I hope we hear some good news soon.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

martinnz

I have thought about it for some time since the loony announcement and I have now decided reluctantly to leave Hasselblad and use my Nikon gear as backup until the new phase body comes out. They seem to be in sync with the future to me. I really did not see this coming. Signing off as soon as its sold. Regards Martin  
H3d39, 80mm,100mm and 28mm will be posted for sale soon

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Martin,

I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for the new Phase body. It's been a rumour for a long time now. Leica, on the other hand, does have a solution which lets you keep your lenses. Only problem is that poxy 2:3 ratio and having to use Lightroom.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Dustbak

Jeff,

Can I use AF with my HC lenses on the Leica? I have been thinking about the S2 as well.

Giorgio

Wow,

What a reaction to a non story!

Sorry but I'm not selling anything. I am too busy using the hardware to visit this site too often but this story got my interest. Old hardware is no longer being serviced by Hasselblad! WoW! Now let me think what other com[any does this... Ouh Canon no longer services any of my equipment that is old, like my 200L 1.8 gosh darn I better dump all of my Canon gear straight away.

Get a grip people.

Go out and shoot the dam hardware, and enjoy.

Ciao, ciao

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Dustbak

Quote from: Giorgio on July 12, 2013, 12:25:16 AM
Wow,

What a reaction to a non story!

Sorry but I'm not selling anything. I am too busy using the hardware to visit this site too often but this story got my interest. Old hardware is no longer being serviced by Hasselblad! WoW! Now let me think what other com[any does this... Ouh Canon no longer services any of my equipment that is old, like my 200L 1.8 gosh darn I better dump all of my Canon gear straight away.

Get a grip people.

Go out and shoot the dam hardware, and enjoy.

Ciao, ciao

you step over the thing that Canon delivered a working 200/1.8L according its specifications. lets not forget that functionality that has been promised in the H3 never materialized. Now, I am still waiting for things to be improved in the H4, I took delivery of my H5 with promises that functionality that is in the brochure will be delivered in the near future via firmware updates.

I shoot my HB's every day and everyday my H4 hangs at least once shooting tethered even with the new grey cables.

The way things are moving currently does not instill a lot of faith that improvements in these areas are to be expected anytime soon. it might very well be that the H4 ( or even the H5) will become no longer serviced before that...

The message over the years was often that for some functionality or fixes HB would no longer be doing that to the 'older' models but instead you had to buy the new model. When you did you would only find  some other parts were now lacking,at least you got the promise these would be added later...

The issues of my H4D60 shooting tethered are driving me nuts almost daily BTW...

rsmphoto

Quote from: Dustbak on July 12, 2013, 12:24:04 AM
Jeff,

Can I use AF with my HC lenses on the Leica? I have been thinking about the S2 as well.

Yes, Leica reverse engineered the H lenses and the adapter works perfectly. I've used the 28, 35, 50-110, 150  and HTS (surprisingly, AF works for me with HTS as well).

NickT

Quote from: Dustbak on July 12, 2013, 02:55:30 AM

I shoot my HB's every day and everyday my H4 hangs at least once shooting tethered even with the new grey cables.

Ray I wonder why you are having these crashes, obviously you are no newbie!

I'm still using a Granite digital 10M (the one with the heavy magnetic things on it) from Macpro (back port) > Granite digital unpowered hub > lightweight 60CM cable to camera.

I basically have zero problems.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

NickT

Quote from: Chris Gahran on July 09, 2013, 05:01:09 PM
Perfectly usable Imacon 4040s (for product work) were selling for
$2-4,000 US a year ago are now selling for under a thousand dollars. See eBay item number: 200924565617. Eight bidders ran the price up to $655.50. Is it a coincidence that last year Hasselblad announced they were no longer servicing 4040 digital backs?

To be fair to Hasselblad I think it's a bit much to expect much support for SCSI products these days..

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano