New Firmware and Flex 4.8.8

Previous topic - Next topic

Alastair Bird

Hi, I've downloaded and installed the new firmware via Phocus .1.3 for my CF-39 back.  Everything works fine in Phocus, but seeing as it's slow like molasses on my computers I've gone back to Flexcolor for the next little while.  However, when I open Flexcolor, I get a dialogue box that asks me if I 'want to download an older firmware'.

Is there any danger in me clicking 'no'?

And going forward, if I choose to stay with Flexcolor, would it be smart to not bother with any of the firmware upgrades?

Thanks.

Sunny and freezing in Vancouver here, but the mountains look SPECTACULAR..

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Alastair Bird

Eeeeeeexcelent.  Thanks.  I like saying 'no'. I don't get to do it in an upgrade situation nearly enough...

Dustbak

Only downside is that is repeats asking this question everything you open Flexcolor :( I have not paid attention whether it also does when you swap lenses but the last time when I used an older FW version it did :(

Alistair, did your upgrade do anything to your CF back? Like higher ISO?

I think I will be downgrading the firmware in my back since it doesn't appear to be doing diddly and the previous one was rock solid.

Alastair Bird

Thanks for the note, Dustbak. I have only 400 iso still (not that I ever use it, but it would be very nice to have another stop; as I was forced to shoot at 200iso last week).  I hope that this firmware solves a problem I've been having where I have 2 images superimposed upon one another.  Every so often, and more commonly with CF cards but not exclusively so, I take a photo, don't get a beep, take another and I end up with an image that has both photos, one on top of the other.  Not only is this annoying for the simple fact that the equipment isn't working properly, it also is that there are 2 images that are lost.  I've had more than one occasion where I take a photo, knowing it's a winner, and fail to hear the beep.  Then I know the next image will be a loss, too.

As well, my back was showing that I was shooting with an H1, rather than a flashsync with my 503CW - the metadata was all wrong.  I believe it's better now, but I'll have to double-check. 

However, if you don't have those problems, then it may or may not be useful to upgrade.