H5D Upgrade pricing

Previous topic - Next topic

davidthescot

I have just checked out the cost of upgrading my H4D60 to an H5D60 - around £13000 plus VAT in the UK.  I asked if the sensor was the same - and it is identical so no benefit there.  What I really don't understand, and I raised this issue before with the H3 to H4 upgrade, is why Hasselblad does not permit us to upgrade the back or the body separately (appropriately calibrated for a fee by the service department) .  I know that rental companies often move backs around on H3 and H4 bodies with no ill effects - after all isn't that what the CSV does?  Hasselblad claim that each back is matched to each body but this is just BS as it is simply a calibration issue.

I would be very happy to pay say £4000 to upgrade my camera body and I am sure that there are hundreds of Hasselblad owners in the same position.  Equally I would be happy to upgrade my 60MP back to an 80MP back if and when it arrives.

Needless to say I am sticking to my excellent H4D-60.

arminw

I was thinking about upgrading my H4D50 to either the H5D50 or 60. An £13,000 upgrade for the same sensor, just an cosmetically enhanced back and body, and a few new bits here seems to be a lot of Money . I haven't even read anything about new connectivity, whether it's USB3 or Thundebolt or still just Firewire ? We all know about the new technology, and the ball is in Hasselblads corner to either be on top of the game or just run after the already departed train. I know have to decide whether I concentrate on my Leica S2 or my Hasselblad system .... So please Hasselblad , make a good upgrade path for your excisting H customers, or see if you win new ones with your Luna camera.
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

andreleon

Hi , in phase  with both of  you

Domip

Indeed, the new H5D should besides FW800 also have actual connectivity as Thunderbold !!
:( :-[

Henry

David - Ouch, that is expensive - I hate to think what the "upgrade" cost from a H3DII-50 will be...

Arminw - the connection on the H5D is FW800 according to their brochure, not TB or USB3 I'm afraid (but Apple do make a TB to FW convertor which reportedly works well and costs a tenth of previous options).

Henry

GeorgeTelis

Could you please give me a link to the upgrade program files ?

Thanks in advance
George Telis.

Domip

@ Henry

The TB to FW connector won't speed things up... won't give you a faster workflow !!
On a day where you make several hundreds of 4shots, FW is slow. Therefore one needs TB.
:-\

davidthescot

The pricing has been notified to dealers as quoted in an email response to my enquiry:

"The new price list was issued today, and the list price of the H5D60 is £26700, with the delivery scheduled for December.  The upgrade from an H4D60 is going to be £12495 plus VAT"

Have not seen a full price list but it seems insanely expensive in the light of the D800E and the rumours of a 48MP Canon.

Dustbak

This is also why I am thinking about selling my H4D60 and upgrading the 39MS.

GeorgeTelis

@ davidthescot : As Leica as has proved with the new S camera, the medium format manufacturers are not really concerned about the huge increase of
megapixels in 35mm cameras, i am pretty sure that the pro that is going to spend 30K on a 60mp medium format back has many reasons to do it than just
the pixel count (lens ,shutter speed,image quality,color quality,support, ..even prestige for some)

Also one thing i can't understand is why the price difference between the H*D 50 and the H*D 60 is so huge while the difference between the 31-40-50 versions are quite reasonable ?
Does that has any relation to the Kodan-Dalsa sensor ?

DBF

Quote from: Henry on September 26, 2012, 03:56:37 AM
I hate to think what the "upgrade" cost from a H3DII-50 will be...

I read on a Pricelist of a Shop in Germany, that any H3Dx-xx can be uprgraded to H5D60 for 18.000€ + VAT

I feel, this is quite o.k.

davidthescot

Quote from: DBF on September 26, 2012, 07:12:20 PM
Quote from: Henry on September 26, 2012, 03:56:37 AM
I hate to think what the "upgrade" cost from a H3DII-50 will be...

I read on a Pricelist of a Shop in Germany, that any H3Dx-xx can be uprgraded to H5D60 for 18.000€ + VAT

I feel, this is quite o.k.

I agree with you.  If you are upgrading an H3D22 or 31 bought for a few thousand pounds that is indeed better value.  But if you are upgrading a recently purchased H4D-60 bought for something in excess of £20,000 at a cost of £12500 that is a very different story.

Originally the H4D60 was made more expensive because of the initial problems with supply but now that is no longer an issue perhaps they should be re-thinking the pricing policies.

Henry

@ Domip

You're quite correct, TB would be much faster and it's a shame that the H5D does not include a TB port as well as a FW800 port.  I mentioned the TB to FW800 converter as many of us earlier had been looking for such solutions given that the new MBP and MBAs only have a TB port which makes using them for tethered shooting impossible without expensive 3rd party work-arounds.

Henry

KeithL

Can anyone point me to a link for H5D Upgrade pricing in the UK, please?

Dustbak

It is getting really annoying. I have immediately asked for upgrade pricing, we are now at least a week further and still not received anything. If I would treat my customers this way I would not have one left and I could not even blame them.