H5D Upgrade pricing

Previous topic - Next topic

davidthescot

Quote from: Dustbak on September 30, 2012, 05:18:37 AM
It is getting really annoying. I have immediately asked for upgrade pricing, we are now at least a week further and still not received anything. If I would treat my customers this way I would not have one left and I could not even blame them.

The price list has been published on the UK Pro Centre web site:

http://www.procentre.co.uk/Hasselblad%20Sales/HAPL0110v2.pdf

KeithL

Dustbak

Thanks David,

At least this gives some indication on what to expect in euros.

GeorgeTelis

Thanks a lot for the link  :)

Drchevalier

Has anyone discovered published upgrade pricing for North America?  I am in Canada, and am curious what the upgrade from the H4D-40 to an H5D-40 would be.  I'm not entirely clear on what is different between the two iterations.  Is there a comparative matrix somewhere that anyone could suggest?

Thanks kindly,

Ross

Dustbak

I am still waiting for an upgrade price for my 39MS from my  dealer. It is always the same thing, very difficult to get quotes. I have money on the table and am willing to buy. It is a pity that my dealer or dealers seem to be not too interested in selling.

Giorgio

Quote from: Dustbak on November 21, 2012, 02:29:48 AM
I am still waiting for an upgrade price for my 39MS from my  dealer. It is always the same thing, very difficult to get quotes. I have money on the table and am willing to buy. It is a pity that my dealer or dealers seem to be not too interested in selling.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/99918.aspx

This is the page for Hasselblad USA H5D features and links for pricing etcetera.

davidthescot

Quote from: Giorgio on November 21, 2012, 04:01:38 AM
Quote from: Dustbak on November 21, 2012, 02:29:48 AM
I am still waiting for an upgrade price for my 39MS from my  dealer. It is always the same thing, very difficult to get quotes. I have money on the table and am willing to buy. It is a pity that my dealer or dealers seem to be not too interested in selling.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/99918.aspx

This is the page for Hasselblad USA H5D features and links for pricing etcetera.

This is misleading.  These prices are for people who are buying an H4D now and then upgrading in a month or two not for us poor saps who already own one!  Grrrr!

Giorgio

davidthescot

Quote from: Giorgio on November 21, 2012, 08:12:32 AM
David,
Talk to your dealer!

I did.  Here is the response:

David,

It's all in the small print!  What they are saying in the US is the cost of upgrading a new H4D60 (bought after Oct 10, 2012) to a H5D60 (when they become available)  is the difference in the list price ie $9000 - it's the same in the UK, if you buy a H4D60 now, you can upgrade to an H5D60 next year for the difference in list price - £4705.  Unfortunately this deal doesn't apply to older H4D cameras, either in the US or the UK.  The cost of upgrading from your H4D60 to a H5D60 remains £12495 (+VAT)- sorry!

Regards,
RENNY LEE
Pro Centre Manager

THE PRO CENTRE

14 Union Walk
London E2 8HP
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7729 8822

Email: renny.lee@hasselblad.co.uk

www.procentre.co.uk

Giorgio

Hi David,

From the response, you can trade your camera (H4D 60) for a new H5D 60 for 12,495 pounds.

But if you buy a new H4D 60 and want a new H5D 60, Hasselblad will provide it for 4,705 pounds.

Huge price disparity, I see your point.

fotografz

The Upgrade Pricing has been on the Hasselblad website for some time now ... at least the Hasselblad USA site.  It is a downloadable PDF

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/3516113/hb_tradein_101112.pdf

Using that as a base, I've been negotiating actual trade pricing with my Hasselblad dealer. From what has been posted here, it seems USA pricing is more trade friendly than in the UK. However, from what I've seen on other camera forums that's true in general ... UK pricing is higher for a lot of top gear.

The three contenders for trading my current H4D/60 are: a lateral move to a H5D/60; move to a H5D/50MS for more studio/still work and let the Leica S2 do the rest; or go all the way with a H5D/200MS. The trade cost to move to a 60 or 50MS are essentially the same ... obviously the big gun 200MS is more money, but close enough to be a contender, and is a definitive jump to an ultimate level of potential image quality and color reproduction unavailable anywhere else for studio and other still applications. Just in case you wonder if the 200MS really is THE baddest big boy on the planet, you can see the side-by-side image differences realized from all the choices of H backs on Hasselblad's very well done comparison site located here:

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/sample-file-images.aspx

I've been collecting various reports and hands on impressions on the H5D camera for a while now. While taken individually, they do not offer that "gotta have this" type incentive like True Focus did for many users. However, taken as a collective, all of the tweaks may present a different picture depending on your needs.

The H5 has been unanimously touted as more ergonomically user friendly in hand (including bigger buttons and more programable ones [6], better graphic displays), and one Phase One rep admitted that the camera even looks better in person than in the promotional photos. New and improved weather sealing. Faster processors are definitely a plus, as is more accurate True Focus.

The Instant Focus Confirmation as shown in the downloadable Hasselblad H5D brochure seems to indicate that it jumps to where the focus point was placed with one press of any of the 6 programable buttons you dedicate to that function (page 21). If that IS how it works, that is a very nice improvement.

An intriguing new feature is the ability to shoot a 1/4 res jpg ... so presumably, with a H5D/60 that's a 15 meg jpeg right out of the camera. This may be useful to some for more casual shooting or for exploring perspectives before going full res RAW. Maybe it bodes well for really fast WiFi transfer in future?

Evidently, the H5/MS cameras offer a new compressed RAW file for faster work-flow (a big plus IF the files are lossless compressed, and depending on how much faster they render to final form).

While all of this sounds interesting, the lack of very specific explanations of each new improvement, and perhaps more importantly, the degree of the improvement ... is a bit frustrating. How much better is the TF? How much faster is the H5? Is the Instant Focus Confirmation tied to the actual focus point in the scene? Etc., etc., etc.

More definitive and specific information may make a trade worth it, or it may not.

-Marc