Hasselblad Lunar

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Gysin

OMG http://www.hasselblad-lunar.com they just make themselves look like fools...

hvk

Great news! I will not have to divert funds from the HCD 24 purchase.  :P

/Henrik

Marc Gysin

Well I think diversification is a good thing but why pimp an NEX-7?

QuoteWhile the NEX-7 itself will run you roughly $1,100 to 1,200k (body-only vs. with a kit lens), SAR has the Lunar pegged at $5,000 Euro (about $6,530, or six NEX-7s). That's almost $1k more than Leica's utilitarian M-E and about as much as an M9 for, those keeping count -- but hey, at least the lunar can shoot video, right?

Well maybe there are more exiting things on the horizon http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/18/sony-and-hasselblad-announce-partnership-dslr

Time will tell :)

davidthescot

OMG is right on the button.

It is now quite clear that Hasselblad is a company run by idiots (aka accountants) and owned by more idiots (aka venture capitalists).  We all know what accountants do very well (cut costs) and what venture capitalists do (make a fast buck and the faster the better).

I am surprised that they bothered to remain in the MFD market when there are so many different materials and colours of fabric/metal/leather with which to recycle their "lunar" products.

Sorry to be so cynical but I am really really disappointed with a company that I have supported as a photographer for over 30 years descending to such a trashy bit of exploitative marketing.

Barry Goyette

Insane is correct. But lacking in vision is more appropo.

Simply put, they will have a difficult time selling what is too obviously a rebadged $750 camera for $6500. Sure...a leica is just a panasonic inside, but at least it has a leica exterior and leica lenses...but this thing "isn't" a hasselblad. It's a sony thru and thru....using what will be "last year's" technology when it comes out in 2014 (ok...even if they actually deliver in 2013 it's still old news by then).

I think an "ultimate luxury" 35mm SLR that is just a rebadged sony will have similar problems.

Hand's off to hasselblad for thinking out of the box...but this "italian rebranding" thing strikes me more of the direction that poloroid has gone...the products disappear, but the name just keeps popping up on things like totebags and toasters.

Mirrorless medium format using HC lenses is a product that would sell, and it would be a product that would work, and is the market hasselblad should be creating right now. This is not a big score for the brand. It's an embarrassment.

arminw

I have to say I am disappointed .... !
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

davidthescot

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on September 19, 2012, 04:36:45 AM
OMG, it's a tool, not an identity! If you run around thinking of yourself as a "Hasselblad" person I can understand this move shaking you to the core.

;d

Derek - sorry there is way that this piece of trashy bling is a tool.

Alex Maxim

I expected this. Even though I am not interested in that kind of camera myself, by why the hell no? They can make more money with this product than with the high-end H5D and offset their R&D expenses. I hope it will sell better than H5D, though. It's got its own style, especially in wood finish. And some on its owners will want to buy H5D after.
It's rather a collector's item than a professional camera, but we can't really say until we see the test images.
I look at it as a business move, not a way to please professionals.
Funny, it's got High-speed USB 2... While there are cameras with USB 3 already.

Greg

Derek,

For me, it wasn't possible that Hasselblad would be stupid enough to just rebadge another camera and make such a big deal about it.  This morning I was looking forward to the big announcement only to feel like it was Christmas morning and my parents gave me a turd.  Well, now, at least, I can forget about the reasons/excuses I was going to give my wife for buying a new camera.  Using the name "Lunar" and the big footprint on the moon is so blatantly misusing the heritage of Hasselblad it makes me want to throw up.  This morning Hasselblad has become the laughing stock of the photographic industry, and I am not happy about it.  They have taken away my desire to support Hasselblad on the discussion forums, because I don't want to feel like a fool.  In the face of Phase's pitiful attempt at camera improvemnet, Hasselblad has lost a good opportunity to capitalize on their new H5D.

Greg    

Giorgio

Quote from: Marc Gysin on September 19, 2012, 03:46:16 AM
Well I think diversification is a good thing but why pimp an NEX-7?

QuoteWhile the NEX-7 itself will run you roughly $1,100 to 1,200k (body-only vs. with a kit lens), SAR has the Lunar pegged at $5,000 Euro (about $6,530, or six NEX-7s). That's almost $1k more than Leica's utilitarian M-E and about as much as an M9 for, those keeping count -- but hey, at least the lunar can shoot video, right?

Well maybe there are more exiting things on the horizon http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/18/sony-and-hasselblad-announce-partnership-dslr

Time will tell :)

Great point Marc,
I for one don't care about the Lunar.
However Sony partnering up with Hasselblad is really interesting. Sony is the moving force behind cutting edge CMOS sensor design today.
To me this bodes well for the future of Hasselblad, the past is done just a memory.

Greg

Derek,

The reason I directed it you is that I respect your talent, your opinion, and I respect you as a person.  And I was answering your previous post.  Thank you for your posts and your opinions.

Greg

KeithL

meshuggener

I agree 200% with Derek. What did Leica ? Same thing...
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

meshuggener

But, yeah... it looks like a Louis XIV furniture  ;D ;D
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

NickT

Now surprises here, Ventz have always signalled their intention to monetise the Hasselblad name.
I agree that this thing is one ugly camera..
The thing is tho' that I reckon it will sell and make the company money which is probably a good thing for us lot.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano