LightRoom is going Tehtered !

Previous topic - Next topic

meshuggener

The next version of LR (normally 21th august) will support the Hasselblad H series tethering ! This is a great news !  :)
www.matantoniassi.com
www.facebook.com/matantoniassi

Monty Rakusen

This is interesting news but perhaps not great news. I know its been discussed before but is LR as good as Phocus? Anyone done some tests?

Monty

meshuggener

it's a good news if LR is your main workflow software, no need anymore to go through Phocus. LR is far better than Phocus in my opinion. btw, i sent you a PM regarding the H3D-39 screen update...
www.matantoniassi.com

Monty Rakusen

Speak to Douglas Fairbanks in London office he told me about upgrading the screen.

Martin

Quote from: Monty Rakusen on August 08, 2012, 04:14:23 AM
This is interesting news but perhaps not great news. I know its been discussed before but is LR as good as Phocus? Anyone done some tests?

Monty

I recently compared the two programs and found out, that lightroom is not able to reduce CA as good as phocus and that there is also much more noise on pictures using iso 200 or iso 400 - on standard import.
CA is not that much of a difference. Noise is! On the other hand you have far more possibilities in lightroom :)

Dustbak

Lightroom is not even close to Phocus when it comes to noise, ca and (not the least) color rendition. Lightroom is however very convenient. Since LR is also quite nasty with Nikon D800 files I have opted to getting CaptureOne for my Nikon files.

At the moment LR is my main archiving solution in which it is unsurpassed IMO.

Shooting tethered through LR means more options which is a good thing.

rsmphoto

Pure speculation of course but,

When I first heard the news awhile back that Hasselblad was bundling LR4 with the H cameras, it indicated to me that the days might be numbered for Phocus. This pretty much confirms that thought, for me at least. I think this move (if made) might be based on cost containment (like the consolidation of operations to Sweden from Denmark), where continued development of Phocus may just be too expensive for Hasselblad to continue.  Migration to Lightroom seems a logical progression, where Phocus, being free, has always been a bit of a loss leader. Who knows, maybe this would allow for somewhat lower (more competitive) pricing on future cameras....

Richard

meshuggener

maybe announced at Photokina ? wait and see
www.matantoniassi.com

studiophoto1

Monty Rakusen

The 4.2CR release has tethered shooting for the D800 but I'm not sure if it will tether the Hass. However, I'd still prefer Phocus, even for processing. I've tried processing in LR and I wasn't impressed. My workflow is Phocus>tiff16>LR>tiff8.

Monty

meshuggener

www.matantoniassi.com

fotografz

If the rumors of new cameras coming from Hasselblad that will expand their markets is true, then it does make sense to keep a strong affiliation with Adobe LR. Selling to new customers can be hindered if the buyer has to learn Phocus to get the best from the newer camera.

I can say that tethered to Lightroom is quite convenient because I also have a Leica S2 which is native DNG/LR based, and offered LR tethered support right from the get-go. Capturing and altering in a none destructive manner all in one catalog is a huge speed benefit.  However, S2 to LR is not as fast at capture as Phocus is with my H4D/60 and its much larger files ... probable due to the S2 being USB based. So the big question will be how fast LR will capture FW800/400 based Hasselblad files. 

I do not believe Phocus will go bye-bye anytime soon because it is the only software for use of the Multi-shot cameras. I seriously doubt MS tethered control will be included in LR.

-Marc

martinnz

I find Phocus very straight forward to use with a very easy interface to me and gives me the best result with H3d39. LR just seems a bit strange to work with as does Capture1. My workflow is Phocus tethered then export as tiff to CS6 for final adj if needed ( not much usually ). Its just what works for you I guess. At 58 I go for simple and less is best. I want it from the capture as much as possible. I just tried tethered with Capture One today for my Nikon and was not impressed. Phocus Mobile gets a 10/10 from me. Hasselblad did a good job with this so time to give a bit of praise from me. Cheers Martin  

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Great news for many of you, Lightroom can be tethered, right now, go here and download the plugin, Mac or PC and download the Phocus Mobile at the same time for all the features.

I think you will be impressed!

Extract from the web page.

With our new tether plug-in for Lightroom® 4, you now have:

Full camera control from Lightroom® 4
    Capture options from both Lightroom® 4 and your H4D
    Full remote camera control and capture from Phocus Mobile 2.0
    through iPhone®, iPad® and iPod Touch®

First we added Hasselblad Lens Profiles to Lightroom®, then we embedded our Natural Colour Technology for Lightroom® processing for our 3F/3FR RAW files, and now, Hasselblad brings you a tethered solution with the Lightroom® 4 tether plug-in.

Now you have the seamless shooting experience of a Hasselblad camera complimented by the functionality and ease of use of Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4 with instant viewing and editing capabilities.

Hasselblad continues to evolve by bringing new opportunities to all lovers of medium format photography as well as for aspirational 35mm professionals, advanced amateurs and enthusiasts.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

meshuggener

www.matantoniassi.com