Peculiar behavior with remote shutter release

Previous topic - Next topic

ghoonk

I just received my H remote shutter release and plugged it into my H4D-40. Powered up, and on half press, it focuses as it is supposed to.

However, on a full press of the remote release button, it does not fire. I have tried this with another older remote (a Canon one) that worked with my H4D-31 and the shutter still doesn't fire.

Does anyone know if there is a setting in the options that is preventing the shutter from firing?

NickT

Two thoughts:

Is the jack pushed right in? Sometimes the stupid little rubber cover gets in the way..

Second is the jack the right one, it should be divided in three ie 3 metal bits divided by two plastic bits if that makes sense..

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Michael H. Cothran

I had the exact same problem when I bought mine 2-3 weeks ago. I, too, found out I did not have it plugged in all the way. Due to the tight fit between body and grip, you need to be sure your fingers and jack go in far enough to fully insert it.

Miller

Most of the times I do remove the battery before plugging in the remote.

Frans Rutten

ghoonk

Quote from: NickT on March 29, 2012, 08:26:39 AM
Two thoughts:

Is the jack pushed right in? Sometimes the stupid little rubber cover gets in the way..

Second is the jack the right one, it should be divided in three ie 3 metal bits divided by two plastic bits if that makes sense..

Nick-T

Nick, the jack is pushed right in. When I hit the shutter release, the lens focuses, then I can see the focus confirmation triangles. Depressing it fully does not fire the shutter.

The jack is the correct one - 3 metal areas, divided by two plastic bits. It's the Hasselblad H remote release. I have a similar one from the Canon G cameras that demonstrates a similar peculiarity, but I was using it when I had my H4D-31

ghoonk

Quote from: Miller on March 29, 2012, 09:23:18 AM
Most of the times I do remove the battery before plugging in the remote.

Frans Rutten

Great tip. Unfortunately, I've not had any luck getting it working :(

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

On just one occasion I noticed a plug that had an excess of plastic preventing it fully inserting and I was able to trim it with a knife. Please do not think I am suggesting that you should do this yourself. It is just a possible explanation. :-\
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

ghoonk

Ugh. No luck.

Could it be something I changed in the custom options? The odd thing is that the remote release triggers the AF and locks exposure as a half-press is supposed to do. It's just that it's not actually triggering the release of the shutter :(

Alex Maxim

Can you try with another similar trigger? Could be a wire or a broken button...

ghoonk

This has happened with two triggers so far - an original Hasselblad H remote shutter release, as well as a Canon-compatible one that worked on my H4D-31. I'm going to try something else later today.

Is there any way to reset the camera to default factory settings? I have already done so on the back, as well as updated my firmware to 2.2.4/10.0.6

What i find particularly odd is that the half-press works - it triggers the AF and locks my AE (which is how I had it set up in custom options - AE-L on half press), it just refuses to fire the shutter.

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

With camera on briefly press the ON/OFF button to get the profiles menu. Load the 'Standard' or 'Default' profile.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

ghoonk

Hi Douglas - I did that. No luck getting the trigger to fire.

I'm starting to wonder if the shutter release port is screwed up. That's not going to be a good thing....

ghoonk

Update - switched to Studio profile and it started firing again. The default profile just does not allow the remote shutter release to fire the shutter. Still no wiser but at least I'm convinced that it's a setting rather than a hardware failure

Will update everyone on which setting is the culprit.

Michael H. Cothran

ghoonk

After a whole evening of digging through all the settings, I still cannot figure out which setting prevents the remote shutter release from triggering the shutter. My workaround so far has been to use the Studio profile, customize it the way I want, and set up my profiles for Landscape, Studio and General configurations, all of which allow the remote shutter release to fire the shutter.

Perhaps David can check with Hasselblad and shed some light on the matter. For now, I'm stumped as to why the Default profile would prevent a remote from firing the shutter.