Levelling not working

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I tried the new levelling feature on my 40 this evening. For each image, I mad sure that it said that it was level although my eye and teh grid screen told me that it wasn't. I am attaching a screen grab of the results. Any ideas how to make level level.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Here ypu go, crap piccie but the problem is obvious.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

DGB

I have the same issue with a H4D-50, reverted back to using a spirit level.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Sounds like I should have a talk to my friendly Hasselblad man.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

KeithL

I know nothing about the new levelling feature other than I'd like it. I'd be interested to know if it's based on the camera being level or the sensor being level. The two are not always precisely the same.

Keith

EDIT: ...or indeed the viewfinder being level. The three are not always precisely the same.

David Grover

Hey Jeff and all,

You can always calibrate it to your own preferred level?  Why don't you do that?

Hit MODE then CAL.

D

BLASR

I will try to CAL later,

I have the same problems.
BlasR

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I'll try CAL but it seems odd to have a piece of electronics calibrated by a crappy little bubble. I guess that I don't understand the accuracy of the internal level. My expectation is that a piece of modern electronics should beat a plastic bubble every time.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

rem

same issue here. would calibrate, but not shure what the best way will be. Bubbles? I think like Jeff, electronic should be more precise...
rem

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I just tried it out on another 40 and it appears to be out by the same amount as mine. I'm confused  ???
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Fotograf

Quote from: David Grover on December 12, 2011, 03:16:06 AM
Hey Jeff and all,

You can always calibrate it to your own preferred level?  Why don't you do that?

Hit MODE then CAL.

D

I have the H4D-60 and the same problem, but I can't find MODE and CAL. How do I get there?

Michael

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Extract from the instruction book

Calibration: There is a default calibration for either mode which is selected
automaticaly. However you can store a custom calibration for
various purposes.
1) Press the Preview button for one second (toggle function) to
activate the spirit level feature.
2) The text along the bottom of the display reads EXIT, Standard,
MODE.
3) Press the MODE button (Approval/OK button).
4) The text along the bottom of the display now reads CAL, User,
MODE, and a green user icon appears in the top left of the display.
5) When you are satisfied that the camera is securely in the chosen
orientation, press the CAL button (Menu/Exit button) to store
the new setting.
6) Press the MODE button to toggle between default and custom
settings.
Custom settings are retained for future use. To make a new custom
setting, repeat the above procedure.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

studiophoto1

To fix this problem, downgrade to H4D   2.2.4/16.0.5 firmware! and you'll see the difference at standard mode. I realised that my firmware was 2.2.4/16.0.5 , so I upgraded and I lost the right standard levelling, and concerning true focus I didn't see a better work! Let me know if you saw a change.
Philippe

Mats E

Quote from: Jeff on December 11, 2011, 12:55:57 PM
Here ypu go, crap piccie but the problem is obvious.

Me too having the same problem with my H4D50. While shooting landscape/rock formations at the coast, it was very obvious and no extra leveling tool needed to determine the problem. Had two representantives from Hasselblad distributer present that suggested to bring it to Hasselblad for service.

/Mats
Mats

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Douglas, given that there are quite a few folks who all say that levelling doesn't work, and one saying that you need to downgrade firmware to make it work, can you raise it with Hasselblad. I raised it with Colin Johnston shortly before he departed but he shrugged it off.

I for one would love it to work. I have gone back to bubble levels on the top of the camera, at least they work. Right now I have an Arca Cube with crap levels, an H4D 40 with crap levels. Working on seascapes makes one a little sensitive to levels.

I wonder if Hasselblad will provide a David Grover replacement anytime soon.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com