Levelling not working

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Quote from: Jeff on May 16, 2012, 07:47:01 PM
Douglas, given that there are quite a few folks who all say that levelling doesn't work, and one saying that you need to downgrade firmware to make it work, can you raise it with Hasselblad.

Jeff, I don't quite understand the upgrade downgrade post and the levelling works fine as far as I can see. I suspect that the previous poster may have partially upgraded his camera (missing one of the steps perhaps). Both the back and the body must have the latest firmware for this feature to work. The level is very sensitive and the calibration of user mode is so easy you should not need to rely on an external bubble, please give it another try.

I cant answer your other question.
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

bzb

to trust in the bubble is most accurate (on earth), but...
can we trust in the level of the plastic-bubble on the hotshoe according the sensor level?
I use a bubble spirit level on the lens-front for calibrating. I use it also vica versa for best calibration, cause most spirit levels have deviations.
I trust also in my eyes by looking at the perspective of the image: does it look good...?

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: Douglas Fairbank on May 16, 2012, 08:04:38 PM
The level is very sensitive and the calibration of user mode is so easy you should not need to rely on an external bubble, please give it another try.

I cant answer your other question.

Douglas, it's certainly easy - no problem there but what should I use as a reference other than a bubble to say that it is level? I don't understand why the internal equipment doesn't know what level is, and what I need to calibrate. When I do calibrate, I have my camera sitting on a tripod. I set the level and then rotate the camera on the head. My expectation is that it should show level as I rotate it but it doesn't. Maybe someone should post some very detailed instructions on how to calibrate, and then what to expect. Should I ring my new Hasselblad rep and beat him around?
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

[/quote]
I set the level and then rotate the camera on the head.  Should I ring my new Hasselblad rep and beat him around?
[/quote]

My understanding is that the camera level in it's default state is calibrated to the foot. As you say if the tripod is set level then the head should rotate and stay level at every lateral angle, great for panoramas. However as another poster to this conversation has shown us where the level should be set to is a matter opinion, he uses the lens front. I use an engineers level to check the image plane in vertical and horizontal and set that as 'User' but that is probably overkill for work in the field.
Be nice to your Hasselblad rep and he will be nice to you  ;D

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: Douglas Fairbank on May 16, 2012, 10:20:01 PM

Be nice to your Hasselblad rep and he will be nice to you  ;D

I'm always nice to him, Douglas. I wouldn't have it any other way.I will take it up with him. As I see it, a great new feature is not presenting that way. I really hung out for levelling but the reality so far is obviously falling short of the mark, or our understanding of it is. I hate to think what would happen to this discussion over at LuLa.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Michael H. Cothran

My new H4D-50 (purchased in Feb 2012) came with the latest firmware, plus the level. I've had no problems with it, but I also carry a hot shoe level just in case. I always "test" myself when setting up a shot outdoors before turning the level on. 100% of the time I'm wrong!
Now I'm interested in the battey consumption that is drained by using the incamera level. My two batteries, now 3 months old, still only give me 35-40 exposures per full charge, which I consider unacceptable, but a fact of life. I've reset the chip a couple of times, but to no avail. I can't believe I actually have to "budget" the battery in order to stretch a couple more shots out of it. For this reason, I'm thinking of resorting back to the hot shoe level.

Michael, I checked the power drain increase when using the level. It is almost unreadable, maybe 2mA, not enough to make any real difference. This latest generation of Hasselblad batteries are the best I have ever seen, several times the capacity of some older types and much much tougher. Please charge them for at least 12 hours, even longer will do no harm, reset the chip and if you are still uncertain contact your local Hasselblad people.
You cant measure the capacity by how many exposures you get because no two people work quite the same way but in my experience the batteries nearly always hold the capacity marked on the base and I have never seen a pack that holds less than 66% no matter how old.

Michael H. Cothran

Douglas/Derek - thanks for your replies. Don't mean to get off on a tangent from the "leveling" topic, but I appreciate your input. I am monitoring their performance, so if things don't improve, I will contact the fine folks in NJ.

davidthescot

Just read through this thread and I am surprised that anyone trusts the camera level.  Unless there is some sort of military grade hardware in there of course it will need calibrating.  I agree with several other posters.  I have a levelling base on my RRS tripod - I level that.  I then adjust the levels on my Arca Swiss cube and surprise surprise I still have to make small adjustments sometimes to my images. The reality is that these levels (camera, bubble whatever) are not finely calibrated instruments - they are indicators that something is nearly level - that is all.

hamishhamilton

Mine is also out of whack on my H4D 60. I use the user calibrated setting.

Roger Méndez

Have the same problem with my H4D 60. I have a diference of 01º aprox. I shoot normally tehered to get it right, and with landscapes I use bubbles on tripod. Gravity is best.

brian

Quote from: Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V on December 12, 2011, 09:52:48 PM
Extract from the instruction book

Calibration: There is a default calibration for either mode which is selected
automaticaly. However you can store a custom calibration for
various purposes.
1) Press the Preview button for one second (toggle function) to
activate the spirit level feature.
2) The text along the bottom of the display reads EXIT, Standard,
MODE.
3) Press the MODE button (Approval/OK button).
4) The text along the bottom of the display now reads CAL, User,
MODE, and a green user icon appears in the top left of the display.
5) When you are satisfied that the camera is securely in the chosen
orientation, press the CAL button (Menu/Exit button) to store
the new setting.
6) Press the MODE button to toggle between default and custom
settings.
Custom settings are retained for future use. To make a new custom
setting, repeat the above procedure.
[/quote

This works for me :)