Upgrading from H3D-22

Previous topic - Next topic

erick

Quote from: KeithL on April 28, 2011, 11:40:26 PM
I doubt many here are subscribers. Perhaps you could sum up his findings for us?
I hope Dig Lloyd will not be mind if I post a part of the conclusions  :

From what I see with the 100/2.2 and the 28/4, the lenses are not up to the challenge, delivering significantly below the potential of the sensor. Therefore, the 60-megapixel H4D-60 with its even larger sensor should give pause to buyers
In my view, the 37.5MP Leica S2 is capable of delivering greater detail, better level of crispness (contrast and sharpness) , than the H4D-50 can deliver with either of the two HC lenses tested ...  

his reviews  are excellent and cheap  for what you get , I hope it will bring to him new subscribers, the review of the H4D 50,  the Leica S2 or the Pentax 645D  (maybe the best MF actually)  are really interesting

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Is he the guy who had an H3D for an hour and then wrote a review which found the Hasselblad wanting? If this guy is a DSLR guy who takes a MF rig out for the day and then writes a review, I would find very little value in it. It's a different way of working which takes time to understand and use well. It smacks of arrogance to me but I'm just a rich dentist.

I haven't noticed anyone on this forum complaining about the resolution of the lenses on a 60 or 50. I think someone may have noticed, if that were the case.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Dustbak

As an user of the H4D60 as well as both the HC100 & the HC28 I am clueless about how he came to this conclusion. The 100 is one of my most used lenses with around 30K of clicks annually (on this lens alone). I can tell you if it did not perform exemplary I would have tossed it years ago. The 100 delivers and does so on the 60 too. The 28 is the same story (I use this one less).

The 60 has a larger sensor but with the same pixel density as the 50. With the exemption of the corners it will put the same weight on the lenses as the sensor in the 50.

One thing that you really need with the 50 & the 60, impeccable skill. User error or sloppiness will result in visibly lesser results.

I would really like to know what DigiLloyd is complaining about with both the 100 as well as the 28. I wonder wether he uses Phocus, going any other software route with the 28 files will definitely give lesser results (as well as the 100). Anyway. I don't particularly care what he has to say. It strikes me that in many cases people are blaming equipment for their own shortcomings. Now Hasselblad certainly has some but most of these are in the operational area and only very few in the output quality area.

erick

I think Dig Lloyd does a good job he test bodies and lenses carefully,  I am too lazy to do it myself I prefer to take photos :-)
one must read the review totally (37 pages for the Pentax 645 D  ! )  not only a  few words on conclusion ,

KeithL

Quote from: erick on April 29, 2011, 01:16:43 AM
I am too lazy to do it myself I prefer to take photos :-)

I think Dig Lloyd would benefit from doing the same.

erick

Quote from: KeithL on April 29, 2011, 01:26:25 AM
Quote from: erick on April 29, 2011, 01:16:43 AM
I am too lazy to do it myself I prefer to take photos :-)

I think Dig Lloyd would benefit from doing the same.
.. He does I think

erick

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on April 29, 2011, 01:45:23 AM
When it comes to photography there are people who love cameras and electronics and people who create art. Nothing wrong with either. I am passionate about creating art.
Me too , but to choose or change  my tools  (it cost a lot of money) I like to read reviews and ask to others who know them better than me

erick

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on April 29, 2011, 02:11:13 AM
Quote from: erick on April 29, 2011, 01:59:45 AM
Me too , but to choose or change  my tools  (it cost a lot of money) I like to read reviews and ask to others who know them better than me
Which is smart, however, it's far smarter to look at people who create good artwork and see what they use. Testing a camera for 3 hours and writing a report on it are not the words of a master of the camera. Be guided accordingly.
he doesn't test 3 hours a camera and he has  tested a lot of cameras and lenses before ... but I stop with Dig Lloyd now, I respect his work thanks to him for his great reviews

I have tested one afternoon a Leica M9 with 5 lenses,  of course it is not much but it is better than nothing and enough for me to know that a Leica M9 is nothing for me :-)  
every tool can be good enough, a  Canon 5D mark II for 1800 euros is a great tool for the price but I prefer the look of MF files

erick

do you know Gilbert  Garcin  ?  it could be done with a cell phone but it is art http://www.artscape.fr/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/garcin.jpg

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: erick on April 29, 2011, 02:18:24 AM
[
he doesn't test 3 hours a camera and he has  tested a lot of cameras and lenses before ... but I stop with Dig Lloyd now, I respect his work thanks to him for his great reviews

Oh yes he does: http://diglloyd.com/articles/MiscReviews/HasselbladH3D.html
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Greg

I just read a few excerpts from that article.  That's all I could stomach.  Pure trash.  Total hatchet job.  None of his impressions holds water based on my actual experience with the camera.

Greg

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

ACorrodi

For the records - as I very much appreciate Lloyd Chambers (Diglloyd) as a person and as a reviewer (who actually reviews stuff shooting, not just measuring).

- Lloyd is widely respected for his detailed and impartial reviews
- He is a DSLR format guy. The high end of that market is what MF companies would need to capture in order to grow (marketing for the H4D31??)
- I lobbied for a long time with Hasselblad USA to get him a loaner for many such reasons (Rooney, Claeson ... who I know because my gear didn't work, time and time again ...)
- He was working on S2 review and I was about to buy one too, so I was curious to see what he thought
- The loaner and some lenses arrived late, with no manual or any introduction whatsoever (yes - download PDF ... duh)
- He had to send it back relatively shortly after receiving it
- As loaners usually go, the physical quality might have been sub par, or vulgo "beaten up"

Brilliant marketing that is

Has he missed some points? Yes, but he sais so ...
Has he had time to master the gear? No, not at all
Should one need so much time to have to master gear? ... only worshippers would answer yes

His reviews, for those who care to actually read them attentively  - rather than dismiss everything outright through their "I have spent 100 grand on Hasselblad" endowment bias - front to back, are excellent, differentiated, critical, replicable and are not biased towards any equipment, not even his own preferred gear.
Oh, but, they are not written for people that know everything anyway

As mentioned many times, I love my H series and the lenses, with all their pros and cons (same for M9 and S2 and D3x for that matter). However, the almost religious bias some of you guys detect in other forums gets worse in this forum here, by the day.

Get down from your pedestals, some of you.

A

PS: My P65+ loaner when introduced 2 years ago arrived with a couple of hours of training by a nice lady ...

erick

I agree 100% with ACorrodi  but I dont want to make any trouble on this forum , it was not at all my idea

KeithL

Quote from: ACorrodi on April 29, 2011, 07:34:17 PM
Get down from your pedestals, some of you.

I haven't a clue whether Mr Lloyd is right or wrong and frankly could care less. I can't help feeling that if all this pixel-peeking angst was to be channelled directly into making images then there would be a fair few better photographers about.

The thought of paying someone for their opinion on cameras and lenses is in my less than humble opinion just ludicrous. If I want an opinion on a camera or lens I'll beg, borrow, rent or buy it and trust in my own opinion.