3D Still Photography

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustbak

I got the request of a client to think about 3D photography of a make-up in a catalogue/brochure. Has anyone done 3D still photography? Does it work? Any tips, hint, whatever. Real life experience would be great.

My initial reaction was whether this would be a sane thing to do. The client also has to distibute the dreaded glasses (unless there is now a way to do without). I wonder how in heavensname this can be done and still be commercially viable but hey! It isn't my money and worth to investigate.

Alex Maxim

There is a way to make stereo photos that can be seen without glasses.
Like here: http://spdbv.vital-it.ch/TheMolecularLevel/0Help/StereoView.html

But you'd have to ask the viewers to look from a certain distance, depending on the print size and cross their eyes to merge two images into one.
Fun for teenagers but can be a problem for older viewers :)

It can be a bit tricky to shoot people like that. You'll need two cameras. But for static scenes, you can just shift it.

Alex

Dick Roadnight

Quote from: Dustbak on October 16, 2010, 03:24:16 AM
I got the request of a client to think about 3D photography...
I think that stereo-photography is fairly straight forward...

I am thinking of 3D photography for complex virtual view point - so you construct and Image in three dimensions from pictures of each  2Dish subject?
H4D-60, 50-100mm, 300mm, CF, Flexbody, P3

Dustbak

It might seem straightforward to you but with most things in this world it probably will be different when you actually have to do it and are burning a lot of money of someone else not to mention putting their brand name and reputation on the line. My question is whether someone has experience with stereo photography and can share what to expect in real life.

Anything, from what software to use, best practice or what pitfalls to prevent, which glasses and why, paper specifics, etc..

NickT

Ray there are Photoshop plugins for making 3D from 2D images, apparently the trick is to control the offset of the red/blue channels in varying amounts as the offset needs to be more the closer the image is to camera (using a displacement map from memory), haven't tried it myself just remember reading about it. To create in camera you'll need two cameras where the lenses are the same width apart as your eyes :)

Hope that offers up some clues.
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Dustbak

Thanks Nick, I think I am beginning to get a pretty good idea what to expect. I am pretty sure I can make the needed images. I now only need to find the needed software which seems to be a bit hard odd enough. Sofar I only find stuff dating back to 2002 or even older. There must be something that is newer than that.

NickT

Hi Ray
Here's what I've been able to turn up, some better than others but it might help add to your knowledge:

PS How to.

And another one here

Might help if you google "PS anaglyph"

HTH
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Dustbak

:) I just did. Indeed that helps. It seems to be just too simple which always gets me kind of suspicious and wondering where the catch is. There is no such thing as a free lunch which I have found out often enough the hard way. Sofar this appears like it is going to be a breeze (knocks on wood). It just makes you wonder why there aren't a lot more 3D advertisements around??

Still. Have you noticed both your links are tutorials with PS versions from the Stone-Age? Hasn't anyone made any Anaglyphs since 2002 or is it really so simple not worth mentioning?

BTW. Did you see the drop collission shot I just placed in the gallery? Totally cool new toy that allows me to time & trigger just about anything!