Difference between image in Phocus and PS CS4 using Snow Leopard

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I have just installed SL on my 15" MBP, and also just got my new Eizo CG222W properly calibrated. I then started Phocus and exported a shot to PS CS4. What I see is a slight variation between the image in Phocus and PS. Normally, I never see a difference. Have I discovered an incompatibility between SL and Phocus. I haven't seen any issues mentioned elsewhere.

Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

It's always good to respond to one's own posts. A bit more testing would indicate that under SL, Phocus no longer honours the profile of the external monitor. I set my Macbook to the same profile as the external monitor and it then looks like the exported file in PS. This was an early bug in Phocus which got fixed along the way. Do any of the Beta testers test something like this? it would affect iMac and Powerbook users whose external screens would be quite different to the inbuilt.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Dustbak

I copy my files made on location to the MacPro and use the 30" screen. Maybe when I put 2 30" screens next to each other ;) I need to move to a larger working space for that to happen but maybe one of these days...

jeff.grant@pobox.com

OK, continuing with my soliloquy, can someone tell me how I raise this as a bug to the developers?
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

horseoncoboy

be aware that the problem you found with phocus  is also a cs 4 problem !

alexkent

hi,

have you updated to 10.6.3 ?
i know that there was a bug in 10.6.0 that caused custom profiles for non-main displays not to work properly.
i was under the impression it had been fixed.

alex.

robertpoll

robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: horseoncowboy on April 17, 2010, 03:09:27 AM

I wasn't aware of it but my issue is that I adjust an image in Phocus, export it and it looks different in PS.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: alexkent on April 17, 2010, 06:02:40 AM
hi,

have you updated to 10.6.3 ?
i know that there was a bug in 10.6.0 that caused custom profiles for non-main displays not to work properly.
i was under the impression it had been fixed.

alex.

Thanks Alex, I am on 10.6.3. I am home again now, and just tried it on Leopard 10.5.8 on an iMac and it works as it should. It looks like SL and Phocus don't understand each other. Do you have a pointer to the problem in 10.6.0?
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

horseoncoboy

Quote from: Jeff on April 17, 2010, 06:49:12 PM
Quote from: horseoncowboy on April 17, 2010, 03:09:27 AM

I wasn't aware of it but my issue is that I adjust an image in Phocus, export it and it looks different in PS.

on the same display ? cs 4 is also not able to handle color management right with a second display connected. 10.6.3 has nothing changed -  hope adobe has fixed this bug with cs 5.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Yep, on the same display. The image that I started this with shows Phocus and PS images on the same display.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Well I just got a reply from Hasselblad. The short story, while asking me to send more info, is to f*** off and talk to my dealer as the support email is not for simple users like me. Anyone from Hasselblad care to clarify?
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

docmoore

Jeff,

Always makes one feel good to get that kind or response when you are willing to upgrade to their new camera...
do you need to buy five before you are worth their time?

Lucky for us that the new LR 3.2 noise reduction and sharpening tromps Phocus. Were it not for the DAC corrections
I would shelve it for the present time.

Bob

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Quote from: docmoore on April 20, 2010, 12:58:01 PM
Jeff,

Always makes one feel good to get that kind or response when you are willing to upgrade to their new camera...
do you need to buy five before you are worth their time?

Lucky for us that the new LR 3.2 noise reduction and sharpening tromps Phocus. Were it not for the DAC corrections
I would shelve it for the present time.

Bob

Bob,

I'd have to admit to being seriously pissed off. I just don't think that Phase are any better at service, and their gear isn't in the same league. Our friendly Hasselblad man in Oz is great but I don't expect to report software bugs via him. My expectation is that I have some well documented process to report bugs. The price level alone is enough to think that this is not unreasonable.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com