For those of you with FireWire Woes

Previous topic - Next topic

David Grover

The Procentre in London has just started stocking a new cable from Lindy.

FW800, 5m with an active repeater...

http://www.lindy.co.uk/xxl/32918.html

They always had one with FW400 which was very reliable and nice to see they have added a FW800.

I guess here you could use the patented Nick T method.  Run this cable to your camera stand, and then plug in a lighter weight cable to your H camera.

I think they sell for about £50.

Please mention my name when ordering so I get my comission. ;)

Pro Centre - +44 (0) 207 490 3122

D

H3dfan

I have been using the short "imagebank800" cable combined with a cheap Firewire800 with repeater for ages. No forces on the connection with the back and works perfect.

David Grover

Quote from: ixpressraf on March 12, 2010, 07:51:07 PM
I have been using the short "imagebank800" cable combined with a cheap Firewire800 with repeater for ages. No forces on the connection with the back and works perfect.

Seems like the right way to go!

yongsikshin

Hi, David. Whassup!

Does this FW cable need external power source? Or can you just plug it like any other normal extension cables?
Is it stable enough?

Best regards,

Yong.

David Grover

No external power source needed. 

To be honest I am not 100% sure how it works, but their older FW400 cable with built in repeater always worked very well.

I had it running with another 5m granite cable and it seemed to be fine.

D

Andy Johnson-Laird

I checked the Lindy USA site and they don't have this same cable, unfortunately.
The closest they come is a 4.5m FW 400 extender that you can see at http://www.lindy-usa.com/45m-firewire-active-extension-cable/32908.html

Fancy starting an export business, David?

Regards
Andy
Forensic Software Analyst : H4D-50, HTS and beaucoup HC lenses
Portland, Oregon, USA

David Grover

rsmphoto

Quote from: Andy Johnson-Laird on March 17, 2010, 04:50:31 PM
I checked the Lindy USA site and they don't have this same cable, unfortunately.
The closest they come is a 4.5m FW 400 extender that you can see at http://www.lindy-usa.com/45m-firewire-active-extension-cable/32908.html

Fancy starting an export business, David?

Regards
Andy

I sent the US distributors an email recently and they expect them in stock in mid-April in the US - $85.00

Andy Johnson-Laird

Thanks Richard.
David: Ixnay the export business. Boy that was short-lived. :)

A.
Portland, Oregon, USA

David Grover

rsmphoto

Quote from: David Grover on March 16, 2010, 03:42:37 AM
No external power source needed. 

To be honest I am not 100% sure how it works, but their older FW400 cable with built in repeater always worked very well.

I had it running with another 5m granite cable and it seemed to be fine.

D

David, I'm going to query Lindy-US about how this works. I'm pretty sure my issue with FW has to do with low FW800 power from my unibody MBP, so I want to understand what this cable actually does to cure this problem. Would be great if it works! Thanks for the info.

Richard

Andy Johnson-Laird

Quote from: David Grover on March 19, 2010, 07:09:53 PM
I'll cancel the Maserati order.

Whoof. That's a relief. I thought you were going to have to cancel the Phase One back order too.  ::)
Portland, Oregon, USA

robertpoll

I'd be pretty sure it works the same way as the 400 one - in which case it won't help if you're not getting enough power. The repeater at the far end of the cable is powered from the firewire so obviously you'll have a bit less power for downstream devices. Sounds like you might need a powered repeater.

That said, I've used the 400 version on the older MBP without problem - do the newer MBP supply less power, or could you just have a dodgy one..?

..rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

rsmphoto

Indeed. That's just what the Lindy folks have told me. It's powered from the FW800 power pin on the MacBook Pro. C'est la vie!

David Grover

Hi Richard,

However...

I have just hooked up the Lindy plus a 10 Metre Granite and I could shoot fine tethered.... so it must be doing something!