Length of Video Recording on UK X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

pflower

I have given up on video.  But a friend of mine is giving a concert and I would like to record it.  I am pretty sure that due to UK import regulations the other cameras I have, Sony A7ii, Panasonic GH2, Panasonic GX7 et all, are restricted to 30 minutes continuous recording time.

The length of the concert will be about 50 minutes.  Does anyone know if an X1D purchased in the UK could record longer than 30 minutes and, which I rather expect it can't, whether a single battery could last that long?

docmoore

The 29 minute limit is a bit bogus ... so you have to stop ... restart the next 29 minute recording ... really doubtful to me that the 30 seconds between takes will be that significant.

All video ends up as short clips ... I imagine that you will piece together highlights ... and potentially the 30 seconds will be lost to history ... at least you have the other 60 minutes.

Good time to change batteries ...

Bob

Hassilistic

I Just bought last month the GH5 Panasonic specifically for that purpose.  Now recording is only limited by how many batteries you have and memory card can hold.

It would be great if X1D can record to an External recorder like Atomos or Blackmagic Video Assist , that way you can over come that issue amongst others.

PIC

YOUR PROPOSAL OF GOING OUT THROUGH AN EXTERNAL MONITOR IS GREAT.
But the HDMI output sends signal with some information displayed on screen. The chip does only output 1080p.

Dos anybody have an idea if it would be possible to reverse ingenue the software to get clean output to HDMI.
They made me understand in Hassy house they wouldn't do improvements to the video part of the software.

hbern

My X1D stops recording after 5 minutes. I haven't seen any option about this, is it like this with everyone elses as well? It's not because of lack of storing space or battery, it just stops recording after 4:59, I can start it again after a split second, but I lose a half second of recording no matter what I do.

BillW

Just curious but is the 5 minute limit to keep the large sensor from building too much heat?  It is not an issue to me as I never do video.
Thanks
Bill

sog1927

My understanding is that the limit is intended to prevent the cameras from being classified as "camcorders" - camcorders are subject to an extra duty in the EU which would significantly increase the retail price in EU countries.