H4D Digital Back Counter issues

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

I recently purchased an H4D thru the current trade-in promotion, trading in my lightly used CFV16. I had 5 Sand disk Extreme memory cards I used with the CFV. An 8 GB card came with the H4D. I used the new card in the H4D for the first few shots, then inserted one of my older cards. When I did, my counter jumped from #21 to #1608. What is curious is that the 1608 was where my CFV counter was when I sent it in. I called Hasselblad, who showed me how to reset my counter. I did. Starting again at 001, I was fine until today, when after 121 shots, I again changed to another card, and again my counter jumped, this time to 1616, where it left off from the first time.
Note - I reformatted each card. Can anyone explain, or advise as I'd like to keep my counting system accurate?

jeff.grant@pobox.com

This issue has been around since the H3D at least. I found out the hard way. Any card that has been used in another H camera should be formatted on your PC before putting it anywhere near your one. My counter is now running at the 600K mark on a body that my have taken 5K shots max. If you insert a card with a higher count, it will automatically reset the counter. It will only go up, never down. Formatting in camera isn't enough to get rid of the count on the card.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Michael H. Cothran

How does one format a memory card on a PC? Or in my case, a Mac? And once formatted, should I reset my DB counter once again to 000? If the problem is going to persist, then I suppose I can just live with the extra 1500 counts on mine.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Use the Disk utility on the Mac. If you only put in cards formatted that way, the camera will use the file number that is stored in the camera. It appears to compare the number on the card to the internal number and take the highest.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

QuoteIt appears to compare the number on the card to the internal number and take the highest.

You are right, it means that you can start your counting from the number of your choice
Take an empty (re-formatted)  CF card and make an exposure. Take this card and connect it to your computer and using the file renaming facility of your regular computer operating system alter the file name to have the count that you would like to start from (A0001234 for example). Re-insert this card into the digital back and the count will now proceed from this number as you take more images.

Using this method should mean that you will not get two exposures in your library with the same name.

Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Douglas, there must be a missing step or two. I don't get this result. My camera counter is 653K or thereabouts but my real count is 3400. I have tried renaming on my mac, putting the card with the renamed file back in, but the next image that I take goes back to the high number. I would dearly love to be able to get it right.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

I think you may be right about the missing step, it is probably this one.
On the digital back bring up menu then while holding down the 'i' button enter 'settings' then in the list you will find 'service'. Go into service and 'reset file counter'.
Now the back is set to zero and the count will start from the highest number in the title of an image on the CF card, please refer to my earlier instructions below. ;)

Take an empty (re-formatted)  CF card and make an exposure. Take this card and connect it to your computer and using the file renaming facility of your regular computer operating system alter the file name to have the count that you would like to start from (A0001234 for example). Re-insert this card into the digital back and the count will now proceed from this number as you take more images.

Michael H. Cothran

So, if I have 6 cards, I should do this to each card? And if I'm understanding correctly, my counter will begin from the highest number shown on any of these cards? As long as I want to begin from whatever the highest number is, I should be ok with whatever the other cards are set to??

I don't have any kind of a card reader for my Mac, so I guess purchasing one needs to be my first move. I've always just downloaded directly from the camera, and have seen no reason to own a card reader. Are there any other "reasons" for owning a card reader?

davidthescot

If you or a friend have another camera which takes CF try formatting the card in the other camera (having first reset the counter as described) and then try again.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Thanks Douglas, that's fixed it. I think that this is a candidate for the Tips and Tricks section. I may be anal but I like my image number to follow the number of shots on the body itself.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on March 10, 2012, 02:56:49 AM
So, if I have 6 cards, I should do this to each card? And if I'm understanding correctly, my counter will begin from the highest number shown on any of these cards? As long as I want to begin from whatever the highest number is, I should be ok with whatever the other cards are set to??

I don't have any kind of a card reader for my Mac, so I guess purchasing one needs to be my first move. I've always just downloaded directly from the camera, and have seen no reason to own a card reader. Are there any other "reasons" for owning a card reader?

Sorry for the delay in replying, The short answer is that to set a specific number you will need a card reader. The back commences numbering from the highest number found on existing images on the card so you will need to manage the numbering of several cards. It is not possible to change the number of an image on a card from within Phous (or Flexcolor).

If you don't want to buy a card reader and don't mind starting from zero you can reformat all the cards and then reset the counter.

Michael H. Cothran

Thanks Douglas. I bought a card reader from my local Radio Shack last weekend, and bottom line is that all is now well.
Since my camera is still less than one month old, I reset the counter to zero, and as you suggested, took one exposure on one card, renamed it to A0000001, and now all cards and counter are in sync. Thanks for your help. I shot about 50 images on Sunday, so we're up and running.

Note - I would have shot more, but my two batteries ran out real quick. I understand that they need to build "stamina," but I only got 29 shots from one @ full 100% power when the camera said to replace it. That computes to about 14.5% of its potential. I got a long way to go to full capacity, so for the time being I seem to be quite stifled in how long I can shoot. Don't recall ever having this issue before, even with the CFV back.

I put together this guide to show the counter reset process. Nick you may want to put this in Tips and Tricks.

bigfish007

Thanks for the guide.  My counter was at 4.54 million something, seriously!  Reset to my actual count 1492. 

Richard

rogerxnz

For those,such as me, who have trouble getting to "Service" to reset the file count:

You need to press the "i" button and hold it pressed while you move from the menu item above "Settings", which is  "Storage", into "Settings" and while you push the side arrow and then release the "i" button immediately.

The "Service" menu is not immediately visible but you just need to scroll down to below "GPS".
Roger