Wish list a Full Frame CFV back priced right

Previous topic - Next topic

sa.camera

When the economy recovers...

Wish list:
Full Frame (56x56mm) CFV style back for the V system.
Keep the pixel pitch, don't need smaller pixels

Marketing:
Notice the Nikon and Canon shooters who are buying up the Zeiss lens because they are looking for more?
Notice the folks willing to spend for a D700, 5dMk2, D3, 1d who aren't professionals?
Offer a full frame CFV back for slightly more than the D700/5dMk2.
Tap that market.

Dustbak

I wish for the winning lottery ticket...

Your wishes are at this moment pretty much in the same line. Not gone happen anytime soon. If a square CFV is going to happen of that size (or near), you can be certain it will be a lot more expensive than a D700/5DMKII. With regard to pixels, I see many people complaining about the focus being too much on more pixels but the MF manufacturers buy the sensors from Kodak & Dalsa. Stuff like the 22MP sensors simply have been discontinued, you cannot sell something that is not around anymore. If there is going to be a larger square sensor Dalsa seems to be the party most likely to come up with one first. Personally I don't think this is going to happen, to me it seems fairly hard to make that profitable. Lots of people asking for it but most people not willing to cough up the money needed to develop a sustaining business. Less MP doesn't necessarily mean it will be cheaper as many people seem to think. Face it, probably prices will drop further for new stuff but it will never get to the level of DSLR's. Buy a D700 or 5DMKII if that is what you want.

All IMO naturally.

David Grover

The cost of producing a sensor at such a size would make the product unreasonably expensive. 

I am afraid, it simply won't happen.

sa.camera

Dustbak, David,

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree with your comments that it won't happen anytime soon.  I'm a patient person and my time horizons are long.  I never imagined my cell phone would be more powerful than my first computer.  Never thought Leica would deliver a full frame camera last year.  Where would we be in 6-10 years?  If Hasselblad and Phase are still around, would a full frame sensor be out of the question?