Crash after crash

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtteri

Hi!

I had an alla day photoshoot yesterday and had about 10 crashes and very laggy phocus activity overall. When Phocus worked some how the pictures came very slowly and first showed up like "mosaic art" and this took about 30 sec per capture. Very anoying in a customer situation as it was. Before I run it with osx 10.5 and phocus 1.2, but now with OSX 10.6 and Phocus 2.0, are they compatible?

For the reason abowe i formated my MBP and re-installed osx and phocus. I hope it works better.

br Valtteri

p.s. Still hoping for simultanious capture to 2 locations, one for backup on external drive!
---------------------------------
http://www.valtteri.net

David Grover

Hi Valtteri,

Which model of MBP is it?  And more importantly which Graphics Card?

I have just returned my MBP for repair after Phocus became increasingly slow and unstable.  Testing at Apple showed the Logic Board (including the graphics card) had a fault.  This particular model was apparently fitted with a very flaky grahpics card which was prone to failure / over heating.

The thing is, it only really showed up when using Phocus.. because the graphics card is used a lot more.  iPhoto also showed issues.

So anything video related like that, it is worth getting your MBP checked.

D

cunim

I often see exactly the same issues on a new Dell XPS16 using W7/64.  Phocus will run ok for a bit, but then it will give me a mosaic effect and get really slow.  This can happen a few times in a shooting session.  At worst, the effect starts and then goes to BSOD.  Modreate severity just leads to freezing and a cold boot is the only way out.  Lowest severity and Phocus just crashes my video driver (latest version ATI 4670) and then recovers.  Seems that low severity class is closer to what you saw.

Point is Phocus is very unstable on the laptop PC (in my hands at least) and I believe it is because of problems with host graphics interaction.  Interesting that you see the same thing on the MBP.

By the way, the laptop has never even hicupped with any other program and it is used only for graphics-intensive applications (CS4, LR etc.).

Valtteri

Hi!

I have to check what graphics adapter it has, some ATI i guess. It is about 2 year old, 2.2 GHZ and 4 GB RAM, 15 inch. It has worked quite well earlier. What has changes is Phocus 2.0 and OSX 10.5 -> 10.6. After the update (earlier than this) I had an other issue with my MBP. I had an short shoot at my studio and then turned the MBP down and vent to my office. Then my MBP did not start at all. I got it repaired and they told me at the service that it was the graphics card that had broken (thank God not the HD, this is way I ask for capture to 2 locations). They changed the whole mother board at Apple service or what it is called.

Now I clean installed 10.6 and Phocus 2.0 and nothing else on the same MBP and it did run flawlesly on a 1/2 day shoot. Hope it stays that way :)

BR V.
---------------------------------
http://www.valtteri.net

Ralph

Hi Folks.

We are also having endless problems with crashes in Phocus running on a MBP 8GB ram. There does not seem any pattern at all, some days fine, next horrendous. Tried powered hub box (Gefen 800) different cables 800>800 and 800>400.
We have 2 systems here. A H3D 22 and  H3D 50MS We have added extra ram to the MBP, faster graphics card in a G5 (5Mb Ram) but cannot find any consistency to the crashes. MBP also is sluggish one day, fine the next.
Used to shoot the H3D 22 into Flexicolour on a G5 and was reasonably stable.
I know I am not offering solutions, but in conclusion I have found the following:
H3D 22 does not like a 800>800 FW, much more stable with a 800>400
Will work happily (sometimes) without a powered box shooting into a G5.
H3D 50MS does not like a 800>400 cable shooting into a G5
Strangely we have found that if shooting H3D50 into a G5, the way round that the cable is connected makes a difference. ie if phocus crashes, take the end that was connect to the camera and connect that to the computer. Doesn't make sense.
Error message we are getting on the H3D22 are, 9005, 9026 and 9002.
Error message on the H3D 50MS is 9050.
Does anybody know what they mean?

Ralph

Ralph

Hi Folks.

We are also having endless problems with crashes in Phocus running on a MBP 8GB ram. There does not seem any pattern at all, some days fine, next horrendous. Tried powered hub box (Gefen 800) different cables 800>800 and 800>400.
We have 2 systems here. A H3D 22 and  H3D 50MS We have added extra ram to the MBP, faster graphics card in a G5 (5Mb Ram) but cannot find any consistency to the crashes. MBP also is sluggish one day, fine the next.
I know I am not offering solutions, but in conclusion I have found the following:
Strangely we have found that if shooting H3D50 into a G5, the way round that the cable is connected makes a difference. ie if phocus crashes, take the end that was connect to the camera and connect that to the computer. Doesn't make sense.

Ralph

cunim

Ralph, below is a link for what helped on my PC.  Phocus went from entirely unusable to "unstable but usable" in my application.

Got to feel for Hasselblad.  Writing good cross-platform software takes resources and competencies not usually available to small companies.  At the moment, I would classify Phocus as "poor" software on three levels - code quality, function set, and user interface. I never know if it is crashing because of a driver issue, OS file handling issue, or image processing issue.  There are only the simplest image proceesing functions.  Little things like default directory selection are archaic.

On the other hand, the camera integration (e.g. focus stepping and lens corrections) are valuable and I give full credit to Hasselblad for developing them.  These functions are important enough that I would uncomplainingly use Phocus for acquisition if it was stable.

I wish they would just pay a contractor to integrate the file handling and post functions with Lightroom and make Phocus into a pure capture module.  They could then devote their limited coding resources to creating a bulletproof body of code.  The gap between Phocus and the larger players will only grow with time so it's pay me now or pay me later. 

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,937.0.html

David Grover

If you want to know why Phocus is crashing you can always send us the crash logs.

What do you mean by 'Simplest image processing functions'?  What else would you like to see. 

Also please explain 'Default directory selection'.

I am afraid the possibility isn't there for Lightroom (yet) to handle a third party plug in.  It would be a neat solution but the framework is not provided by Adobe for a capture module.

cunim

David, I have been sending logs to HUSA since I started using the camera.  In fact, they have been patient and helpful (thanks Per), but also overwhelmed asthe sheer number of problems I report.  Basically, I am on my own.

Just look at the functions in the LR Develop module and consider where that will be in a year.  Gradients, brushes, spot removal, etc. and the ability to do a direct export to other software (e.g. Helicon) for advanced things.  Just that interface is a major load to create.

I want to set my default acquisition directory to today's date, entered in a certain way, and use one of a few preset file naming conventions.  I want that configuration held as a default.  Simple, present in most similar programs.  In Phocus I have to go through the edit process and create the directory, and select the naming convention.  Yes, it just takes a moment but every one of those moments is irritating.  Please correct me if I am doing something wrong.

Doesn't need to be a capture module and I hope I was clear in my appreciation for what Phocus is trying to do as a capture program.  Use a debugged Phocus to capture and then integrate through the Import function in LR.  Works with my 5DMkII.  Just devote HB resources to making Phocus as stable as the Canon capture utility.

David Grover

Thats good, Im glad you aren't suffering without aid!  I hope your issue(s) are narrowed down.

I feel that LightRoom though is a crossover product.  Part Raw Developer, Part Retouching Suite... So for Phocus to become that is as you say, unlikely.

Are you saying your naming convention set and default location are not held as default?  I just tried on OSX and quitting Phocus retains the last used naming convention and location.  Are you using the Job Info tool to set that?

PS.. Whereabouts in Ontario?

David Grover

Quote from: Ralph on February 10, 2010, 01:27:15 AM
Hi Folks.

Ralph

Ralph,

When I spoke to Angela before Christmas, I said that we had never really had much success with the Gefen products, advising against its use.  And that the Granite Digital FW repeater had been a robust piece of kit and recommended.

To be honest the G5 is not really equipped to handle a multishot back, least of all a 50MP one.  Its a lot of demand on the processor to acquire that much data.

Which Firewire port do you use on the G5?  Front or rear?

The 800>800 cable should be more stable.

The majority of your error messages relate to FW timeouts.

What length are the cables?

My advice (as also relayed to Angela) is to take a short FW cable from Computer->Repeater, lets say 6-12 inches, and then your long(er) cable to the camera.  Make sure the hub is powered, get rid of the Gefen. ;)

This takes any firewire issues out of the equation.  If you still then have difficulties we can look elsewhere.

IMPORTANT - New Firmware for the 50 was out end of January - R346.  Please make sure you install this before going onwards.

David

alexkent

Quote from: cunim on February 10, 2010, 04:10:42 AM
Just devote HB resources to making Phocus as stable as the Canon capture utility.

you want a piece of tethering software which automatically quits if the camera gets turned off or disconnected?

(yes i know it's a cheap shot, but EOS Utility is a pain in the ass)

alex.

Dustbak

Phocus is very stable if your setup is adequate. I either use one single cable or a repeater that has proven over the years it works. Multishot operation is getting to a point it is almost as reliable as Flexcolor used to be, single shot is very reliable (for me that is). Also make sure you have set the standby mode of your body to 30sec's (menu 4.1 I believe). There is a suspicion Phocus hangs when the body turns on standby during multishots. This makes Phocus hang. Typically after the beep sound (that comes after the initial shot) and right before the 4 shots.

BTW, there have been multiple threads lately of people that had issues with the 50 that were resolved with the latest firmware.

I too find Phocus reacting sluggish on my MBP and slowing down in a way that it should not. I currently use the 2008model with 4gb memory. 6GB is on its way and hopefully I can order a new MBP somewhere in the next couple of weeks. Phocus is also performing slow, as if it has a memory leak, on my 8-core MacPro with 12Gb of memory and a 4 drive RAID0. If there is one machine where it should fly it should be this. More development in performance enhancement is definitely needed and desirable.

The day Phocus performs like Flexcolor did I will be extremely happy, the goal is to have it more stable and faster. I find it already renders a better file BTW.

cunim

David, Alex, Dustbak, I accept that Phocus is working very well for some people.  Clearly, it is working less well for others.  Some of those others are using unsuitable hardware but that is not always the case.  For example, I am using W7/64 on a bog-standard Dell Studio XPS i7 with 6GB.  Doesn't get much more typical than that. I have also gone to considerable trouble to isolate hub type and firewire driver issues.  The crashes were greatly reduced in frequency, from almost constant to a few times a day.  One crash a day is too many.

This type of variability across valid hardware and competent users defines a product that is not robust.  I used to own a medium-sized software development house and the reaction to code fragility would be to drop back and work on the foundations for a while.  For example, about 25% of our total resources were used writing test functions for the main platform.  Hard to  maintain this type of discipline while the end users and BOD are demanding features.  Therefore, I raise the stability issue so that HB can know it is there and prioritize it.  This is mission-critical software and needs to be stable above all.

I really do love what Phocus is trying to do.  If the user community wants to help we should keep pointing out the flaws.  I believe that HB knows it is in their interest to respond to constructive criticism.  After a period of such criticism and consequent response, Phocus will run without crashing for most users and on most of the Macs and PCs out there.  It will be a robust app.  To allow HB to believe it already is one would be counterproductive.

NickT

Quote from: cunim on February 10, 2010, 01:23:40 PM
  If the user community wants to help we should keep pointing out the flaws. 
SNIP

It will be a robust app.  To allow HB to believe it already is one would be counterproductive.

Couldn't agree more.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano