Optimal X1D focus stacking step size?

Previous topic - Next topic

xoda

After watching Hasselblad's very long webinar on focus stacking where they said the step size is something you develop a "feel" for after real world usage, what's the optimal step size and number of frames setting people have found for landscape shots?

I almost always shoot at f/8 or above, and usually focus on the further point and then have the camera work towards near infinity. I basically only use focus stacking for indoor architectural shots or outdoor landscapes with a very near foreground POI (such and a wide angle shot of wild flowers with mountains in the background).

Just as a very quick crutch, are 10 shots at medium step sizes enough?

tjelt

That is exactly what I use for a focus stack landscape shot.  I have one of the custom functions programmed for this set up.  Although in my experience you rarely need more than 5 or 6 frames. 

T

pdprinter

I find it easier to start with the closest focusing distance and then go to infinity as it stops there anyhow. So having more steps than needed  is not an issue for longer distances but for macro or close up step number is important

SrMi

Quote from: pdprinter on April 24, 2024, 08:46:58 AMI find it easier to start with the closest focusing distance and then go to infinity as it stops there anyhow. So having more steps than needed  is not an issue for longer distances but for macro or close up step number is important
Be warned: Most cameras do not always stop at infinity, and the last frame may not yield sharp results. Therefore, it is safer to start at infinity and move toward near. That is a big advantage of Hasselblad's focus bracketing.
Also, when it is not quite clear where the start or end is (macro or precise focusing), it is best to start in the middle.