28p or 38v

Previous topic - Next topic

Dafilman21

I am deciding between the 28p and the 38v right now I only have the 55v and I am on a few lists for the 90.  I definitely need a wider angle but I am not sure if I need the 28, I do love the compactness of it.  For the 38 it appeals to me because it's a v and it's faster. Both have good IQ so I am curious for those that have both which one is more handy?

polychloros

There's a significant difference in field of view between 28mm and 38mm in this sensor format (approx. 22mm and 30mm in 35mm terms). I'd decide on the basis of which field of view is likely to be of more use.

Dafilman21

That's the part that's giving me pause, I believe for my needs the 38 is enough.  However the size and price of the 28 is tempting and by some accounts better optically.

MGrayson

Quote from: Dafilman21 on April 16, 2024, 01:55:26 AMThat's the part that's giving me pause, I believe for my needs the 38 is enough.  However the size and price of the 28 is tempting and by some accounts better optically.
Cropping an XCD 28 image to match the FoV of the 38 gives yields 54%  of the pixels. So an X2D would give a 54MP image and an X1D, 27MP. Just something to consider...

Msenca

You could try the 30mm f3.5. It is something in between and an excelent lens.

Dafilman21

I think I'm going to go with the 28p

sanglier

Hello, I have the combo 38 and 55 and I am completely satisfied with it. The 28 is still wide and less versatile. IMHO of course

Larsb

Having both the 28p and 38v, my thoughts are that I prefer the field of view with the 28p and it suits my shooting style generally more, however, the 38v is a much better lens in terms of sharpness at the edges and has less barrel distortion.   I do swap to the 38v every now and then, but then gravitate back to the 28p.  The 28p may not be perfect, but it is a good lens and I am quite happy with it (even with it's limitations)
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer