How long until next body e.g. X3D?

Previous topic - Next topic

xoda

The last three bodies were announced in:

X1D - June 2016
X1D II - June 2019
X2D - Sept 2022

So about 3 years between launches.

It seems Sony just announced a 247 mpx medium format sensor, which according to the article, should be around 200 megapixels if cut down to a roughly 33x44 size. Does this mean a next-gen X3D-type body may be announced in around fall 2025?

I ask because I'm thinking about buying a X2D right now, and am rather reluctant to buy body a body that's already more than 1.5 years old if a new one may be coming in a little more than a year.

sanglier

Good evening, with such reasoning we never buy anything. You have to see what tool you need. If indeed 200 mpix are essential, you will have to wait. Just my opinion.

Paul2660

It's strange to say, but I can't see the need for more than 100MP.  If the new chip comes out for the cropped sensor, then 200MP will be available, but you can expect an even shallower DOF, extremely hard test for current lenses, and IBIS considerations. 

What would be a nice addition via firmware to the X2D would be a multi shot solution. I realize it would not work in all situations, but it still would be a great addition to the camera.

Paul

Iceman1331

Quote from: xoda on April 12, 2024, 02:43:24 AMIt seems Sony just announced a 247 mpx medium format sensor, which according to the article, should be around 200 megapixels if cut down to a roughly 33x44 size. Does this mean a next-gen X3D-type body may be announced in around fall 2025?

I ask because I'm thinking about buying a X2D right now, and am rather reluctant to buy body a body that's already more than 1.5 years old if a new one may be coming in a little more than a year.

The 247 MP new sensor that Sony just announced may initially be used for industrial equipment rather than consumer types of products like digital cameras. As such, I wouldn't rely too much on this new news as to the timing of the next generation of HB cameras. Even though it may be available for consumer cameras, the current sensor physical size of 44X33 in the X2D (or X3 D) body will not reap the full benefits of higher MP without increasing the sensor size. By doing so, all current XCD/V lenses may need to be re-designed to accommodate the larger sensor size IMO.

Orokaj

well from the designers of the 2.5/24, x3d will come in a new graphite colourway and the traditional loop strap lugs:

Jakoro
Jack Xu

Larsb

haha, I love the image of the XCD 1200mm f/2.5 - so funny  ;D
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

Patrick CM

Quote from: Larsb on April 12, 2024, 12:26:33 PMhaha, I love the image of the XCD 1200mm f/2.5 - so funny  ;D
I need that lens!

boojum

I "need" a lot of lenses, too.  But until I master the XCD 55V that I have I will be content with it and the 120 3.5 macro.
Elpis

MGrayson

Sadly, a 1200mm f/2.5 lens would have an aperture of about 19 inches (1200/2.5 = 480mm) and weigh over 100 lbs (based on the 40 lbs for the Pentax 800mm f/4). Oh, and probably cost over $100,000. Of course, if we're going there, the Keck telescopes are 17,500mm f/1.4 (!), weigh 300 tons, and cost $70 million each. AND they have donut bokeh  :D

Orokaj

all jokes aside, the next lens will be on the wide end, so a 24~25 is somewhat likely.
Jakoro
Jack Xu

davidjiang

Heard that there will have a wide zoom...

MGrayson

The question on new lens releases is not "what", but "in which decade".  ::)

I would love a 24 prime. If it's in a zoom, as long as it weighs less than a kilogram. If I wanted to carry 1000g lenses, I'd have stayed with the Leica S.

(And while I'm wishing, I'd also like a pony...)

Matt

gavinsan

I want an X2D II with a joystick or a nipple ;) — that's all I miss

xoda

Quote from: gavinsan on April 19, 2024, 05:33:12 AMI want an X2D II with a joystick or a nipple ;) — that's all I miss

What are the plausible features for an X2D II?

bcvthul

Quote from: xoda on April 22, 2024, 04:41:02 AM
Quote from: gavinsan on April 19, 2024, 05:33:12 AMI want an X2D II with a joystick or a nipple ;) — that's all I miss

What are the plausible features for an X2D II?

Video?