X2D tethering problems

Previous topic - Next topic

Clockworksphoto

Thank you CedV! I purchased the IQWire cable with great success tethering the X2D into an M1Max MaxBook Pro running Phocus. The 1 meter Hasselblad cable tethers fine, and a 2 meter USB-C to USB-C cable that came with an SSD drive also works fine but the TetherTools cable won't even recognize the camera. This is the TetherTools cable recommended for this application on their website. I left a message for TetherTools tech support and got no reply.

Tech Support at Hasselblad had no answer or recommendation for the tethering problem with TetherTools cable or any other 3 meter tethering cable. Tim Gregg, the support person did say he would pass along my concern to "Hasselblad R&D". After I purchased the IQWire cable that works so well I passed along the IQWire link as a solution. He seemed grateful and promised to pass along the IQWire link to others with the same problem.

The TetherTools 15' cable does work with the X1D-II into Phocus and it works for a Canon R5 into Lightroom. Thanks again for the great tip!!

cjj2003

By the way, I've redesigned my cable protector so it works with the IQwire and it can be adjusted to work with other cable sizes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266449372996

MGrayson

Quote from: cjj2003 on October 17, 2023, 07:35:55 AM
By the way, I've redesigned my cable protector so it works with the IQwire and it can be adjusted to work with other cable sizes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266449372996

I'm not certain, but I think the link brings up the old cable protector, or did I miss the adjustment for different cable sizes? When I tried it with the original unit, it would push a thinner cable plug sideways on tightening.

coojcoojenson

I've had my X2D for about a year and I have had tethering issues since I took it out of the box. The camera used to connect to Phocus for periods of 5-10 minutes before losing connection. Now it does not connect at all. Here is what I have tried to troubleshoot:

Multiple tether cables: Tether Tools, IQ, Area 51. None of them work consistently.
Taking in to Foto Care in NYC for repair, they could not fix.
Contacting Yannick Michaud, the US Hasselblad rep. He told me the firmware 2.0 update would solve the issue (it didn't)
Updated to Firmware 3.0 at this point (still doesn't work)
Bought the 3D printed tether adaptor that is on ebay (helped for a little bit)

Is it time to sell this unreliable, unprofessional, garbage camera and switch to Fuji and end my suffering? Or has anyone actually solved the tethering issue yet?

MGrayson

Quote from: coojcoojenson on January 22, 2024, 09:07:47 AM
I've had my X2D for about a year and I have had tethering issues since I took it out of the box. The camera used to connect to Phocus for periods of 5-10 minutes before losing connection. Now it does not connect at all. Here is what I have tried to troubleshoot:

Multiple tether cables: Tether Tools, IQ, Area 51. None of them work consistently.
Taking in to Foto Care in NYC for repair, they could not fix.
Contacting Yannick Michaud, the US Hasselblad rep. He told me the firmware 2.0 update would solve the issue (it didn't)
Updated to Firmware 3.0 at this point (still doesn't work)
Bought the 3D printed tether adaptor that is on ebay (helped for a little bit)

Is it time to sell this unreliable, unprofessional, garbage camera and switch to Fuji and end my suffering? Or has anyone actually solved the tethering issue yet?

The body needs repair or replacement, that's certain. As for Fuji, I had many more fit and finish problems with the GFX 100 than with either Hassy camera I owned. YMMV. If you want secure tethering, the Leica S uses locking Lemo connectors. Makes the cables expensive, though.

baudolino_CZ

If you want secure tethering, the Leica S uses locking Lemo connectors. Makes the cables expensive, though.
[/quote]

And the greatest paradox is that the Leica S3 is the most stable tethering camera nowadays (with Capture One). I've had multiple issues with IQ4150 in C1 and with X2D in Phocus, no matter what cable (IQ, TetherTools, original 3M cables supplied with camera, Ethernet with the IQ). And now Leica S, which for so many years, in its previous iterations, would not tether reliably to anything, is just rock solid. Go figure....(and btw, the tether cable is included when you buy the Leica)

A separate suggestion that may help: some notebook computers (incl. MacBook Pro) seem to have under-powered USB ports. I have bought a powered Thunderbolt dock from OWC and use a PD port for tethering. That usually helps. Or there is another similar adapter that I have that connects into the MacBook Pro with two USB-C cables at the same time and thus provides greater power stability to the USB cable connected to the camera. TetherTools also supply a little power boost adapter that connects to another USB port or a power bank in order to supply more power through the tether cable.

MGrayson

Quote from: baudolino_CZ on January 25, 2024, 09:02:10 PM

(and btw, the tether cable is included when you buy the Leica)

True, and much appreciated. A friend of mine often rolls his desk chair over his cables and has to replace them every year or so. I tried to make him a replacement, but I just couldn't solder or crimp the 8 teensy pins without creating shorts. I could do a 4 pin USB 2 cable, but USB 3 defeated me. If only TetherTools or IQWire would make them...

dpdigital

I have had my X2D for about 2 months. I photograph original art, cultural heritage projects and headshots. I tether the camera into Phocus. The TetherTools cable does not work so I bought a IQ cable and it works fine when I use the shutter from Phocus. However, when I use the shutter button on the camera the image goes nowhere! So I bought a Trebleet USB4/TB3 cable. It works, but not from the camera shutter button. Also, the 1 meter cable provided with the camera will not work from the camera shutter button. Anyone else having a problem like this. This problem also makes shooting headshots a pain. I have to use my Canon for headshots.

osroubek

My X2D works fine when tethered to my computer using the supplied Hasselblad cable or a Tether Tools USBc to USBc cable. The camera needs to be on when I connect to the computer. A message pops up very quickly on the X2D asking to choose 'Mass storage' or 'Skip'. I press skip to continue. In Phocus under the Capture tab, Job Info section, there is a choice for destination. Maybe it was not chosen to go to the correct place? Not sure after that...