Phocus 3.8 Mac Released

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanRL

"Attention Phocus users 🚀

We're thrilled to announce the latest Phocus for Mac 3.8 update, packed with features. Dive into seamless editing in 10-bit HEIF format, experience smoother performance for precise adjustments, and revel in the support for the new 907X & CFV 100C camera. Elevate your Hasselblad experience today with Phocus 3.8! 📸✨

- Hasselblad"

Bob Foster

For the Mac users in our community this is good news.

The last concurrent release of Phocus for both Mac and Windows (3.7.5) occurred on 31 August 2023.

For the Microsoft version the question must be asked - Has Hasselblad elected to drop support of Phocus for Windows users?

After asking a customer service representative at the DJI/Hasselblad facility in California (U.S.A) on 19th March 2024 if Hasselblad had made a decision to stop supporting the Windows version, and failing to get confirmation one way or the other I sent a very polite e-mail to Göteborg and received the typical confirmation of receipt. I have yet to receive a reply.

Has anyone else queried Hasselblad? If so has anyone received an answer? If a reply has been received I'd appreciate it if the reply were shared here.

Bob

Faithwell

Just received response from Hasselblad that according to their R&D, Window version is not ready yet. So it seems that it should be within this few weeks the most.

JCM-Photos

Normal that new Mac version is done first as current Mac version had some bugs that never existed in the Win version.

I just hope that Mac version bug are now fixed
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Georg Kovalcik

Windows vs. Mac version and "support for the new 907X & CFV 100C camera" - did the previous Mac version not work with CFV 100C files? With my Windows version Phocus 3.7.5 they open just fine and I see no obvious issues. Or are there some hidden ones?

Bob Foster

Faithwell,

Thank you for your response. Full implementation of tethering (including live view) will substantially facilitate my workflow. Other than occasionally having to "click" the "button" to start a focus bracketing sequence a second (or third) time I haven't found issues in the camera tab, I do not think that this is a problem with my cable- all else works as anticipated.

JCM,

If my memory is correct, over the past few years release of the Mac and Windows versions has, more often than not, been concurrent. As a windows user I'm not complaining. The best guess that I have as to the ratio of Windows to Mac users is very roughly 1:6 - that figure came from an online poll in the Hasselblad video that introduced Phocus 3.5.

For better or worse, due to constraints on time and money, thorough debugging of complex programs is left to the end users by the vast majority of corporations that provide software.

Georg,

Having had problems with "new" releases in the past I've "rolled back" the software on which I actually work many times.

The README file on the Mac version 3.8 states:"A large number of fixes and stability
improvements have also been included in this release."

Bob

NickT

Quote from: Bob Foster on April 11, 2024, 08:48:30 AMThe best guess that I have as to the ratio of Windows to Mac users is very roughly 1:6 - that figure came from an online poll in the Hasselblad video that introduced Phocus 3.5.
Last time I did a poll here, Mac users were at 86%. That was a long time ago when the majority of Hasselblad shooters were professionals, I suspect that is no longer the case.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

davidmknoble

What disappointed me most about the 3.8 update is that there is still no good way to remove dust streaks.  Spots are easy, but because there is no shutter to cover the sensor, getting a long streak is easy.  This has to be fixed. IMHO.

pgh

Disappointingly buggy. Keyboard shortcuts not working well, rating system going haywire. I select an image and it automatically is marked as 4 stars, and overwrites any rating I had on it. For such a basic part of my workflow...yikes.
I keep wanting to use Phocus because I do like the conversions better but every time I sit down and give it another go for a week it just drives me mad with the simplest things being difficult. Maybe some of the camera designers should get transferred over to the software team?

Photon42

I switched back to 3.7.6. The 3.8 version has its own demons built in. I wonder how that escaped the QC process.

CedV

Quote from: Photon42 on April 26, 2024, 07:55:25 AMI switched back to 3.7.6. The 3.8 version has its own demons built in. I wonder how that escaped the QC process.

Ditto. Bugs and crashes, right from the start. Doesn't anyone test these updates...?