Autofocus

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Maxim

I wonder if it's possible to improve H3DII autofocus through its firmware or it's hard coded?
In many cases lenses go to far on both ends before finding a sweet spot, and if a subject is moving slightly the autofocus just doesn't lock. I guess it could do with a bit of improvement if it's possible.

Maybe we could even have a faster autofocus by raising the motor voltage a little?

Those are just suggestions. I don't know the details of design, so have no idea if it is doable at all.

Best regards,
Alex

grandguru

The short answer is yes, the autofocus is affected by the firmware. Make sure you have the latest firmware in the body and back. 2.1.0 for the body, 259 for the back.

The rest of the answer is how clean is the optical system and I mean the mirrors and focus sensors as well as the lens? Is the shutter release switch good with two distinct positions? Is there any play in the focus mount? Does the focus assist light in the camera work? Remember some lenses are faster than others, partly due to the mass of the optics that are being moved.

Alex Maxim

Hi grandguru, thanks for the answer.
If AF algorithm can be updated, I'd look forward to it. Unless it's limited by the senor's reading speed or resolution.
Because the problems usually occur in areas with finer and more subtle details. It usually focuses well on red, though.
Btw, thanks for mentioning R259, I somehow slipped under the radar.

Alex