X1D, X2D, X3D 4

Previous topic - Next topic

BradP

I'm thinking of starting a poll up again on this site.  I strongly suspect Nick still reads it and that's a good thing.   

My question is, what improvements should be made in the next iteration of the X platform?

For example, my inputs would be:

Best still image quality
Larger sensor
Faster sensor
More pixels
Better autofocus.  Really no eyes?
Video
Remote wired shutter trigger

This will again be an iterative process.  Throw what you have at this.  Give me a week or two and I'll get a poll that makes sense to us.

MGrayson

While a larger sensor ( that is less expensive than a Phase One back) would be nice, it would mean a whole new line of lenses. Even if a current XCD lens could cover a larger sensor, they weren't designed to be good outside the current image circle, and I doubt we'd see the same quality in the corners that we do now.

I've always wanted a full image circle sensor so that we could crop to the desired format in post...

Eye AF would be great. I don't need or want more pixels. The sensor is fast enough, although a global shutter would make adapted lenses more universally useful. A focal plane shutter would be nice, but would add to the weight and complexity. The Leica S has a focal plane shutter and can use a leaf shutter if the lens is so equipped (Leica CS or Hasselblad HC lenses)

And while I don't need a wired remote, it's a VERY popular request, so sure!

ashdown

If it's "what should Hasselblad focus on" rather than "what would you like Hasselblad to focus on" then the autofocus is what will sell more cameras. Current users would love a wired trigger but it would be an exercise in keeping current owners sati rather than making profits.

Personally I would appreciate some full sensor video ability. Commercial clients are increasingly asking for short videos that are basically a still with a little movement to be used for digital billboards and social media. It really helps to be able to do this with the same camera as the stills rather than messing around with a smaller format trying to match framing, perspective etc.

I also hope Hasselblad are thinking about how they can use global shutters when they finally arrive in a useable form. Once they do the leaf shutter might stop being Hasselblad's trump card.

As a business Hasselblad might be wise to try and develop a new high end halo model with a larger sensor and perhaps built in movements to help differentiate the brand from smaller formats.

MGrayson

Actually, here's what I want. A linear manual focus mode for focus-by-wire lenses. It's REALLY hard to manually focus them as they stand because the motor response is non-linear. You're closing in, you go a bit too far, you rock back too fast and *blam* you're way OOF again. One of the reasons I like old adapted lenses is that you can reliably hit manual focus quickly.

davidjt

A few little things some of which which probably aren't h/w related.
1. Continuous af - esp with face detect it becomes essential
2. Auto iso in manual
3. Exposure compensation in manual in auto iso
4. For 907x - ability to customise ring round shutter button
5. Zebras in stills with ability to set threshold - look at way Sony A1 uses video pp & zebras to give highly accurate exposure control in manual in stills.
6. Face detect in MF when using separate af customised button. Equivalent to back button af.
7. Joystick is superb on 907x. Needs similar on x2d

Dave

Hareb

It's amazing that no one but me wants integrated sensor cleaning. I have to clean the Hasselblad very often.

I also have MFT and never have to clean the sensor because the dust is automatically removed every time the camera is switched on. That is my most important wish.

A faster sensor readout would also be important so that third-party lenses can be used without rolling shutter.

strohscw

I am thinking now for 10 minutes, but there is nothing i am missing on my X2D, at least nothing that canĀ“t be implemented by firmware update (b&w picture preview).

For me the X2D is the perfect camera, at least for the things I am using it.

MGrayson

Quote from: Hareb on April 03, 2024, 03:59:53 AMIt's amazing that no one but me wants integrated sensor cleaning. I have to clean the Hasselblad very often.

I also have MFT and never have to clean the sensor because the dust is automatically removed every time the camera is switched on. That is my most important wish.

A faster sensor readout would also be important so that third-party lenses can be used without rolling shutter.

You are so right! It's. Often implemented poorly when IBIS is also around, but I'm sure it can be done well now.

jakontil

if there's such option I would pick, any improvement, dont make larger dimension, sometimes I feel the x1d is better sized though negligible

flash

What Dave said...

Gordon

Paul2660

Joystick. Wired remote. Or ability to move around a taken image preview at 100% like how you can use the dials to move around live view at 100%. When using the EVF image preview at 100% is tedious at best having to use the touch screen.

AUTOMATIC SENSOR CLEAN CYCLE. X2D is a dirty camera seems to catch a lot more dust than the GFX cameras however they have a deeper sensor well due to focal shutter. Wet cleaning is needed quite a bit and due to IBIS it's a bit more difficult. I have yet to find the best solution but to have the sensor not move you do have to have the camera on.

Fix focus peaking. Still surprised at how poorly this works at least on my camera.

Paul

tenmangu81

Quote from: Paul2660 on April 04, 2024, 04:34:31 AMAUTOMATIC SENSOR CLEAN CYCLE. X2D is a dirty camera seems to catch a lot more dust than the GFX cameras however they have a deeper sensor well due to focal shutter. Wet cleaning is needed quite a bit and due to IBIS it's a bit more difficult. I have yet to find the best solution but to have the sensor not move you do have to have the camera on.

Paul

Although I agree with you about the comfort of a sensor cleaning, I haven't had any problem of dust with my X1D II. I must say that I don't change lenses very often, and when I do it, I use a blower before mounting the lens.
Robert

KuehnKvT

I change lenses often on my X2D, and use a blower everytime.
I do not have dust spots on the images.
Months ago I wet cleaned once, using Eclipse Optical Cleaning Fluid.

BradP

Quote from: davidjt on April 03, 2024, 02:37:04 AMA few little things some of which which probably aren't h/w related.
1. Continuous af - esp with face detect it becomes essential
2. Auto iso in manual
3. Exposure compensation in manual in auto iso
4. For 907x - ability to customise ring round shutter button
5. Zebras in stills with ability to set threshold - look at way Sony A1 uses video pp & zebras to give highly accurate exposure control in manual in stills.
6. Face detect in MF when using separate af customised button. Equivalent to back button af.
7. Joystick is superb on 907x. Needs similar on x2d

Dave

Superb ideas.