Lack of Supply of All V lenses and now many of the XCD lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

colonel

Quote from: Paul2660 on March 21, 2024, 03:35:31 AMI can only speak to the SL line of Leica lenses, as I am not a M user.  The SL line has so been very well stocked, at least in the US.  I realize there is a much larger market for used SL glass than the XCD lenses. 

Paul

The SL hasn't sold that well, thus the stock and constant Leica discounts. The M is Leica's cash cow and the demand is always there, despite the skyrocketing prices.

However Hasselblad is much smaller than Leica. It is no secret that when launching the X1D, Hasselblad sold in one month its projection for the entire year.
I believe that Hasselblad is simply the victim of its own success, which is a good thing for us in the long term. One of the reasons they switched suppliers for the V was to get more capacity. Hopefully that comes on line at some point.

Saying all that I have seen a few V lenses for sale on the used market in the UK in mint condition, and the original stunning range is also coming up quite frequently.

Hendrix_CI

Quote from: ymc226 on March 22, 2024, 06:34:38 PM
Quote from: Hendrix_CI on March 22, 2024, 02:18:44 PM
Quote from: ymc226 on March 22, 2024, 01:57:17 PM
Quote from: Orokaj on March 22, 2024, 09:42:13 AMGot lucky, Camerapro in Brisbane had one 90v last Xmas.

Same here in the USA.  I previously signed up on the Hasselblad USA site to be notified when the 90V became available.  Got the email 12/05/23, ordered the same day but it did not ship for about 3 weeks.  I guess they know stock will be arriving but send the notifications weeks in advance. 

Now I am waiting for the 28P notification.  I am new to Hasselblad but if they are anything like Leica, only the official dealers or stores will have access to the most in demand lenses or cameras such that I don't bother to put my name on the waitlist for other third party dealers.

Who do you believe is an "official dealer" and can you give some examples of "third party dealers"?

Steve Hendrix/CI

By official dealer, for both Hasselblad and Leica, only the manufacturer website stores and manufacturer owned stores will give you the best chance.  Third party dealers like B&H and the like (approved from the manufacturer to sell) can eventually get the equipment but I find only much later.  This applies in my experience to the post Covid era.  Previously, at least in the US, before Leica started opening up their own stores, I could call small town mom & pop camera shops that were Leica dealers and locate hard to find items.  That's how I got my Leica M9 monochrom when first released. 

It's a matter of nomenclature to some degree, but "3rd party" dealers is an inaccurate term. In our case (and at least some others as well), we are "full service authorized dealers for Hasselblad" (and also for Leica). 3rd party implies a certain lack of authenticity or even approval from the source manufacturer. This could not be further from the case.

What has happened is that some manufacturers, especially those with their own invested outreach store locations, and/or a direct sale online store, have shifted volume priority to those outlets. Authorized dealers are still receiving inventory, but not as much. In demand items are impacted the most. Somehow, Fuji resists this practice, and in our case, we receive generous volumes of Fuji gear, even the very latest. I'm told that, at least in the USA, this distribution method of Hasselblad may be re-evaluated. It is our hope that it is. In the meantime, if you value having access to knowledgeable, accessible, responsive fully authorized dealers like CI, I recommend giving them a chance. Many advantages can be found there. Sorry for a little bit of commercial there.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Frankvth

I was talking to the Dutch importer (transcontinenta) back in the day before i ordered my camera and could get my hands on a testcamera without a problem. That was nice and ordered all 3 lenses and the camera after.
(this was when it was just announced.)

The camera got in, but no lenses... I found out that on the hasselblad online store the 55V and the 35V where in stock. I ordered there straightaway (lost some discount from Calumet) and also pre-ordered the 90V online.

Happy that i went this route, because currently Transcontinenta still have all lenses on backorder, while i have a complete set since 30-11-2023 (first shipment of the 90V).

There haven't been 90V's online since on the hasselblad online store as well..
Like stated above, i think hasselblad just made an exeptional thing and way more people than anticipated want it. Good news for us, since the company will not go bankrupt, bad thing if you are getting back in line for lenses now...

Oh, they also opened a DJI store in The Netherlands. In one of the most depressing malls of the whole of the netherlands. I went there, they had nothing in stock. They were also very very uncapable of telling anything about the camera.. And yes, i was toying a bit with them, since i had the thing and have been in the hasselblad system for a while, but still.. Not an experience you want if you are willing to drop 22.000 EUR.

outside_late

While there is no doubt a shortage of product, I am on the hasselblad "stock alert" list for the 90V and have had two opportunities to purchase, the first time, I was too late, but the second time, I could have purchased, but the timing wasn't right for my bank account.

I recently purchased a 38V from Adorama who had just received a shipment.  These lenses are being produced and they are finding their way to dealers.

It should also be noted that MPB has had a number of used 38V and 55V come through, there is a 38V for sale there now.

Ralf

Quote from: Frankvth on March 23, 2024, 05:31:56 AM...
Oh, they also opened a DJI store in The Netherlands. In one of the most depressing malls of the whole of the netherlands. I went there, they had nothing in stock. They were also very very uncapable of telling anything about the camera.. And yes, i was toying a bit with them, since i had the thing and have been in the hasselblad system for a while, but still.. Not an experience you want if you are willing to drop 22.000 EUR.

That's the sad thing. I fear that the lack of competence in the shops is damaging Hasselblad. :(

Hendrix_CI

I hope it is ok to mention that we have just received some certified pre-owned copies of the 38mm, 55mm, 90mm (!) V lenses. Also, a 135/2.8 + 1.7TC, in case anyone has been searching for these.

The source decided to move to 907x/CFV 100c & Tech Camera and traded in their X2D system.

Steve Hendrix/CI