deactivating the stabilization does not work

Previous topic - Next topic

sanglier

Hello, I tried 2 photos, one handheld and one on a tripod on the same subject. The image on a tripod is less sharp, I have the impression that deactivating the stabilization does not work. Did you have this problem ?
Nice day.

dhead

I just did some experiments.  Handheld, big difference between IS on and off - shutter at 1/45 sec.  So, on my X2D, IS definitely goes off when I want it to.
Same shots with tripods, on or off, tripod was as good or better compared to handheld.
What I can't figure out, is why shots with my light-weight, aluminum tripod are slightly better than with fancy, heavier tripod. 
Using a tripod, my shots are almost the same, whether IS is on or off - probably a good thing, as I don't always remember to turn it off when I've been shooting handheld, and switch to a tripod.

MGrayson

I also have bad results when IBIS is turned on when the camera is tripod mounted. Here's my guess: Stabilization can't simply play catchup. It has to anticipate the next small motion from previous motions and current accelerations - a PID controller for temperature is similar. If the system behaves like hand-held jiggling, the anticipation is good enough to keep the errors small. If the responsiveness to forces is too stiff, IBIS will be constantly overcorrecting. In that sense, a flimsy tripod will be closer to a human than a sturdy tripod.

Possibly wildly wrong, but if so, it's an educated wrong guess.

Paul2660

So far everything I have shot has had IBIS on, both on tripod and off. Images appear extremely sharp but I will turn off IBIS next time I am on a tripod and see if it see a difference.

So far the e shutter has worked very well also with IBIS.

Paul

pixelpower

Quote from: sanglier on March 10, 2024, 02:39:08 AMHello, I tried 2 photos, one handheld and one on a tripod on the same subject. The image on a tripod is less sharp, I have the impression that deactivating the stabilization does not work. Did you have this problem ?
Nice day.

I additionally shoot with a Leica SL-2 camera, and it's been recommended to turn IBIS "OFF" when using a Tripod, so that has been my practice with both my Leica and Hasselblad camera's and i have had very good results using both camera's this way.
I haven't checked but i also assume when i click IBIS off on the X2D, it is off.

outside_late

I was having some issues with tripod shots and image stabilization, I started using the app to remote trigger and that has solved my problems.

bmikiten

Can you describe the problems? Image clarity? Was it low light or normal scenes? TIA