Artifacts

Previous topic - Next topic

vitdev

I see artifacts (looking like double dots) on images from my X2D when zoomed to 100% (see attached photos). Different lenses and ISO settings don't change the situation (dots appear in the same spots, although it looks like the distance between them varies.

I wonder is it's some issue with hot pixel mapping or something else. I'm on the latest firmware and I did calibration.

These artifacts are visible on both processed and unprocessed RAW files as well as converted JPEGs.

Bob Foster

Out of curiosity- have you tried wet cleaning the sensor?

Over the years I have seen both small oil droplets and pollen (it's often sticky) cause this sort of issue.

Bob

vitdev

Quote from: Bob Foster on March 19, 2024, 01:48:46 PMOut of curiosity- have you tried wet cleaning the sensor?

Over the years I have seen both small oil droplets and pollen (it's often sticky) cause this sort of issue.

Bob

No, I haven't tried wet cleaning the sensor, only used blower. I don't see anything on the surface even when looking under magnifying glass. I got the camera a couple of months ago and haven't changed lenses outside of a clean office (with wait time for lenses I still have only two lenses, not much to change haha).

The uniformity and size of this artifacts (they are all the same — size of a pixel and clearly visible when zoomed to 100%) makes me think it's something with sensor data processing. I've messages HB support, let's see if that's a known issue.

dhead

There is a thread worth reading in this section "spot on pictures ..." - last post was Feb 6.  Suggestion by NickT on 2/4 and link from jchl on 1/30 should be helpful.  I learned how to clean the sensor, and it solved the problem.  btw - my X2D was brand new at the time - didn't change lenses, because I only had the one.

vitdev

Quote from: dhead on March 20, 2024, 12:04:52 AMThere is a thread worth reading in this section "spot on pictures ..." - last post was Feb 6.  Suggestion by NickT on 2/4 and link from jchl on 1/30 should be helpful.  I learned how to clean the sensor, and it solved the problem.  btw - my X2D was brand new at the time - didn't change lenses, because I only had the one.

I see, yours look like dust particles (or something larger like that), I had a small dust particle on the inner lens glass that was visible on images which I removed with a blower. 

In this case I can see those artifacts when zoomed to 100% and they are as small as pixel size. I found a few dozens of them all over the sensor and they all look the same (size and distance between dark and light dots, even angle how they offset is the same). It leads me to think it's some software issue with how images are processed.

These dots are easiest to spot on light uniform background when zoomed to 100 or 200%. I wonder if anybody else sees them on their cameras?