CFV 100C with Cambo ACTUS DB - Lens query

Previous topic - Next topic

HasselCam

I'm using the CFV 100C with Cambo's Actus DB. I bought this setup to use with old barrel lenses and I'm having some success getting the results I'm after. (https://caminada.co.uk/photography-projects/unfading)

My next step is to start using the Cambo combo with modern lenses to use commercially. I'm keen to find out if there is an ideal wide lens that allows for some tilt/shift and presents exceptional sharpness. I know Cambo do a 20mm designed for this setup but is there anything alternative?

deardorff8x10

I can't answer your query, but I love your work!

JCM-Photos

The Cambo Actar 19mm runs with the Nikkor 19 PC-E optic.

I know well this lens I use since Nikon launched it and it is exceptional on Nikon cameras tac sharp even in corners fully shifted at full aperture.

Unfortunately the 19mm Nikkor does not work on Hasselblad X cameras with an adapter ring due to the small F mount.(strong vignetting even not shifted)

I guess with the large cambo mount this optic should be on top with a MF back

https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-series/actus-g-19-kit/actar-19/
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Hendrix_CI

I would second the Cambo Actar 19, it's a stellar optic (based on the Nikkor 19 TS, as noted). It will cover the 44mm x 33mm sensor, but you won't have a lot of latitude for shift. We even use it on Phase One IQ4 sensors, which are 54mm x 40mm. The Actar 20 is a good optic, not at the level of the Actar 19, but it is at a much more friendly price point (it is likely based on the Lawoa 20mm TS).

Importantly, Cambo does not manufacture optics. However, they are a highly skilled and crafty company, they make excellent products, especially their view cameras and technical shift cameras. But what they do for the Actus view cameras is take a 3rd party lens and re-house it into a more usable chassis, which can mean modifying the mount, as well as adding manual aperture rings.

Wide angle lenses are a tough category for view camera use. Most digital cameras cannot achieve infinity focus with short view camera lenses, which leaves 35mm or medium format lenses. Most medium format lenses with manual aperture rings aren't that short (35mm - 50mm is common) nor that great optically. The same can be said in general for 35mm choices, which will also have the challenge of covering a larger sensor. But at least they do have shorter options. And some are certainly usable.

Steve Hendrix/CI

HasselCam

Thanks for the responses. That's all very helpful.

Unfortunately, the 19mm is outside my budget but all the same, useful to have a comparison.

I'm aware that Cambo may (does!) not make their own lenses and I guess, that's not really a problem if the quality matches their own products.

Steve, do you mean FFD (flange focal distance) when you talk about short view camera lenses and infinity focus? I'm new to all this so have a learning curve to contend with! I also thought that using a digital back (CFV 100C with Actus) means that the lens can be moved close for infinity focus with almost any lens.

Alex.

Hendrix_CI

Quote from: HasselCam on March 22, 2024, 09:52:23 PMThanks for the responses. That's all very helpful.

Unfortunately, the 19mm is outside my budget but all the same, useful to have a comparison.

I'm aware that Cambo may (does!) not make their own lenses and I guess, that's not really a problem if the quality matches their own products.

Steve, do you mean FFD (flange focal distance) when you talk about short view camera lenses and infinity focus? I'm new to all this so have a learning curve to contend with! I also thought that using a digital back (CFV 100C with Actus) means that the lens can be moved close for infinity focus with almost any lens.

Alex.

Hi Alex - oh yes, you're correct, I forgot this thread was specifically about 907x/CFV. My statement about the FFD refers to digital cameras, not digital backs. With the camera body involved and the recess of the sensor inside it, digital backs have a FFD advantage as the sensor is brought much closer to the lens elements, hence shorter lenses come into play. This is (mostly) a view camera lens limitation.

With regard to the lens quality, they vary, as Cambo pulls from a variety of manufacturers. Some I would call usable in the right situation and context for what the lens is intended for, others are beyond that level and are optically very good. Considering that they make Actar adaptations and lens adapters for all the below manufacturers, one can understand the varying levels of optical acuity.

Laowa, Nikon, Canon, Samyang, Leica, Rodenstock, Schneider, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Pentax, Contax, Alpa.

Steve Hendrix/CI

JCM-Photos

I've tested deeply my 19 PC-E in Nikon mount and it is completely free of color vignetting that is a current feature of large format symetrical wide angle lenses.

There is a special tool in Hasselblad Phocus and Capture One that uses an additional blank shot file for each shot to correct these colored corners, the Nikon 19 doesn't need it at all.

HasselCam

Quote from: JCM-Photos on March 24, 2024, 11:19:10 PMI've tested deeply my 19 PC-E in Nikon mount and it is completely free of color vignetting that is a current feature of large format symetrical wide angle lenses.

There is a special tool in Hasselblad Phocus and Capture One that uses an additional blank shot file for each shot to correct these colored corners, the Nikon 19 doesn't need it at all.

Thanks JCM. I've seen some examples of the Phocus tool and that seems to work quite well.

JCM-Photos

I find the Capture One tool for Phase cameras more convenient as additionally to the color vignetting correction it has also a very efficient option for automatic sensor dust cleaning for spots recorded on the blank shot.
The Hasselblad Phocus Tools works well with color vignetting but has no sensor dust cleaning option even if it does some cleaning, but not well.