deactivating the stabilization does not work

Previous topic - Next topic

sanglier

Hello, I tried 2 photos, one handheld and one on a tripod on the same subject. The image on a tripod is less sharp, I have the impression that deactivating the stabilization does not work. Did you have this problem ?
Nice day.

dhead

I just did some experiments.  Handheld, big difference between IS on and off - shutter at 1/45 sec.  So, on my X2D, IS definitely goes off when I want it to.
Same shots with tripods, on or off, tripod was as good or better compared to handheld.
What I can't figure out, is why shots with my light-weight, aluminum tripod are slightly better than with fancy, heavier tripod. 
Using a tripod, my shots are almost the same, whether IS is on or off - probably a good thing, as I don't always remember to turn it off when I've been shooting handheld, and switch to a tripod.

MGrayson

I also have bad results when IBIS is turned on when the camera is tripod mounted. Here's my guess: Stabilization can't simply play catchup. It has to anticipate the next small motion from previous motions and current accelerations - a PID controller for temperature is similar. If the system behaves like hand-held jiggling, the anticipation is good enough to keep the errors small. If the responsiveness to forces is too stiff, IBIS will be constantly overcorrecting. In that sense, a flimsy tripod will be closer to a human than a sturdy tripod.

Possibly wildly wrong, but if so, it's an educated wrong guess.

Paul2660

So far everything I have shot has had IBIS on, both on tripod and off. Images appear extremely sharp but I will turn off IBIS next time I am on a tripod and see if it see a difference.

So far the e shutter has worked very well also with IBIS.

Paul

pixelpower

Quote from: sanglier on March 10, 2024, 02:39:08 AMHello, I tried 2 photos, one handheld and one on a tripod on the same subject. The image on a tripod is less sharp, I have the impression that deactivating the stabilization does not work. Did you have this problem ?
Nice day.

I additionally shoot with a Leica SL-2 camera, and it's been recommended to turn IBIS "OFF" when using a Tripod, so that has been my practice with both my Leica and Hasselblad camera's and i have had very good results using both camera's this way.
I haven't checked but i also assume when i click IBIS off on the X2D, it is off.

outside_late

I was having some issues with tripod shots and image stabilization, I started using the app to remote trigger and that has solved my problems.

bmikiten

Can you describe the problems? Image clarity? Was it low light or normal scenes? TIA

sailronin

Every camera I've owned with either IBIS or lens stabilization has recommended turning stabilization OFF when on a tripod. It seems the stabilization may "hunt" on it's own if the camera is not moving.  On a monopod I leave stabilization active but always off when on a tripod.

flash

If it's a really good tripod the IS will work against you. If the tripod has even slight movement, then the IS may help. You'll need to experiment. Most shooters aren't using an AS Cube head and three series legs so there's some compromise. Then there's wind, cars, people walking by, long lens support, etc.

When I'm tripod mounted, I just take one of each. IS on and then off.

Gordon