How to see hot and stuck pixels

Previous topic - Next topic

colonel

This might sound like a funny request, but does anyone know how to see a raw file stripped of its suppression of hot and stuck pixels ?

I am a complete ignorant of this, but I understand there are two processes in the X cameras

The first is a bad pixel map which is done at the factory. This will not be possible to override I think and I am not interested in this.

The second is some kind of active system, not sure whether it is in the camera or Phocus or both, where hot/stuck pixels are identified and masked out as they occur.

1. Is there a way to see a raw without the second process ?  Eg some kind of raw viewer which doesn't take out pixels or do noise reduction
2. What is the best way to take a picture to enhance viewing of the effects of such pixels

The reason I ask is that on one photograph, in good light, at ISO 100 and f8, I saw a line of what seems like hot pixels, mostly red. Not across the whole sensor, around 0.25 and not going to the edge. On the next photo it was still there but somewhat faded, a kind of purple,  and on the next photo I didn't see it.

I am interested where this was just some dust causing a weird effect or whether a bunch of pixels has broken

* subsequent to writing this post, I have come across software called "file viewer plus" which can open view .3fr files directly. I have found 4-5 hot/stuck pixels in subsequent photos, in the vicinity of where the line was, although quite spread out and not all on that line. They are not consistent from photo to photo, and seem to come in and out. Nothing like the line. I am just wondering whether one had a bad blow out due to some voltage fluctuation and produced the line, or it was a combination of a hot pixel and a piece of dust which caused the effect. Anyhoo ......

Many thanks

flash

Likely you were looking at a line of the PDAF receptors, assuming this was on an X2D. Cameras use software to hide these before the raw file is written. Looks like there was a small glitch in the Matrix.

Gordon

colonel

Quote from: flash on March 07, 2024, 12:20:20 AMLikely you were looking at a line of the PDAF receptors, assuming this was on an X2D. Cameras use software to hide these before the raw file is written. Looks like there was a small glitch in the Matrix.

Gordon

Interesting point
However it was an x1d ii