how many batteries make sense

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralf

I've only traveled with a DSLR so far.  Do you have any experience with how many batteries make sense for the X2D if you can't charge during the day?  (I know that the X2D can also be charged using a power bank, but that's too annoying for me.)

mikaelo67

I have three batteries, but I have never needed more than two in a day. I usually bring a USB-C cable so there is almost always a possibility to charge or connect it to a computer.

So two is enough for me.

Patrick CM

3 here also. I've never used 2 fully on a day out

MGrayson

I was going to say "one more than you have", but three works for me, and I've never needed the third one.

flash

Also three here. Although I have more, I've never carried or needed more.

Seems we have a consensus. :)

Gordon

Ralf

Thank you all for your answers.  Then my 3 batteries should be enough for the Iceland vacation.

flash

Quote from: Ralf on March 02, 2024, 07:22:01 AMThank you all for your answers.  Then my 3 batteries should be enough for the Iceland vacation.

As long as you protect the spares from the cold you should be OK. I assume this is a landscape trip (X2D) and you won't be shooting vast numbers of frames? If you're going to photograph the horses (I love the Iceland horses) or Puffins (tricky with an X2D) then you'll probably need an extra.

Personally, once the temp drops, I pack an extra battery or two.

Gordon

Whitten

I take a charger with me. Also back up every day to my laptop (which charges a battery too).
(I carry 3 x batteries)

Ralf

Quote from: flash on March 02, 2024, 07:58:07 AM
Quote from: Ralf on March 02, 2024, 07:22:01 AMThank you all for your answers.  Then my 3 batteries should be enough for the Iceland vacation.

As long as you protect the spares from the cold you should be OK. I assume this is a landscape trip (X2D) and you won't be shooting vast numbers of frames? If you're going to photograph the horses (I love the Iceland horses) or Puffins (tricky with an X2D) then you'll probably need an extra.

Personally, once the temp drops, I pack an extra battery or two.

Gordon

The cold shouldn't be a problem in July.  The puffins are not planned.  (Although I have also photographed northern gannets with the X2D.)

https://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,8962.msg47135.html#msg47135

Dafilman21

I have two and was thinking about adding another one but I no longer see the reason too.

Faithwell

From my experience and the longest overseas trip was 1 1/2 month taking scenic & panoramic photos up on the mountain during winter, only used almost 2 batteries even though I had 3. As long as the batteries are fully charged before the next day would be fine.

colonel

It also depends on how you use the camera

1. I tend to keep on standby alot but also take care to switch off if no immediate photo opportunity
2. I switch off live view on the screen except when in close urban environments
3. I put the rear screen on a dimmer setting then middle
4. Not sure if it makes any difference to the battery, but I keep off exposure preview

I would say two batteries is a minimum. Perhaps try this and see how it goes for you.

Patrick CM

I always have two additional in my bag for a day's outing, but I've never needed the third.

bmikiten

I have 4 and the dual charger. I've used 3 on a long hike but the camera was on most of the time with mostly zoom use. If I'm in a car, the dual charger has batteries in it.

Iskander

I also have 3 batteries.

Please note. Batteries must never be deep discharged. This reduces their service life. I therefore always use ALL available batteries alternately (e.g. 1-2-3-1-2-...).