Constant noise from X2D body?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jgregg

I hear a constant 'whirring' noise from my X2D body. I only hear it in a quiet room, but just wanted to check it's normal. I first thought it was the IBIS system and switched it off to check, but it's there all the time. It's the first camera I've had with an IBiS system, so maybe it's to be expected. I actually emailed Hasselblad about it and they said it needs servicing!?  (it s only a couple of months old) but the mixed feedback I've got from other quarters, makes me wonder if I'm just being to sensitive about it!

Patrick CM

my X2D is totally silent. When I hold my ear close to it, I can hear the XCD38V focus motor whirring when I press the shutter. Otherwise it is silent.

fh29

Noticed the same sound on 2 different bodies and was told it's normal by an Hasselblad rep. Didn't investigate further.

KuehnKvT

I experienced a noise too.  I think it is a cooling fan that helps the camera to get rid of some heat...
Some time later the camera is silent again...

fh29

Quote from: KuehnKvT on March 01, 2024, 05:52:12 AMI experienced a noise too.  I think it is a cooling fan that helps the camera to get rid of some heat...
Some time later the camera is silent again...
Agreed, it sounds like a small fan indeed.

Larsb

I can hear it too, and I am reasonably sure that it is a fan to cool the electronics down.  I never worried about it and think it is quite normal.
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

flash

The IBIS system is active, even when turned off. The sensor needs to be held in a fixed position.

Both my X2D's have a very very quiet sound, if I listen hard enough.

AFAIK there is no cooling fan in the X2D (there was a teardown video online). The body acts as a heat sync.

Gordon

asfeir

Quote from: flash on March 01, 2024, 05:40:10 PMThe IBIS system is active, even when turned off. The sensor needs to be held in a fixed position.

Both my X2D's have a very very quiet sound, if I listen hard enough.

AFAIK there is no cooling fan in the X2D (there was a teardown video online). The body acts as a heat sync.

Gordon

Tested mine by putting the camera over my ear. Can clearly hear sound when camera is on. Obviously no sound when off or in sleeping mode. On Manual focus (in order not to have the focusing motor noise) I can hear a very slight change in noise as I half-press the shutter button, presumably IBIS working. If I select IBIS off, the sound remain constant as I half-press the shutter. I agree with Gordon it seems the sound is due to the motors that must hold the sensor in place.

abey238

I got my X2D a couple of days back. When focusing there is a sound coming from the speaker. I went and turned off the focus sound. But sporadically the whining noise comes from the speakers. If it was motor sound then it can be attributed to the IBIS or the focus system, but since it's the speaker it's quite confusing and disturbing. Anyone else experience the same and is there a setting I should change?

pixelpower

Quote from: Jgregg on March 01, 2024, 03:31:35 AMI hear a constant 'whirring' noise from my X2D body. I only hear it in a quiet room, but just wanted to check it's normal. I first thought it was the IBIS system and switched it off to check, but it's there all the time. It's the first camera I've had with an IBiS system, so maybe it's to be expected. I actually emailed Hasselblad about it and they said it needs servicing!?  (it s only a couple of months old) but the mixed feedback I've got from other quarters, makes me wonder if I'm just being to sensitive about it!

I just turned on my 3 month old X2D, and if i put my ear on it, I can hear a constant whirring sound, it sounds similar to a sea-shell held up to my ear, maybe a tad lower in volume. If i press the shutter, i can also hear the sounds from the lens motors trying to focus.
I didn't perform a listening test for more than 15-20 seconds, perhaps it stops once the camera is on for some time.
What you describe seems to me to be Normal for these camera's, at least when they are first turned on.

Patrick CM

Turn off IBIS and listen....maybe that's it?

flash

Quote from: Patrick CM on March 13, 2024, 09:17:47 AMTurn off IBIS and listen....maybe that's it?

The IBIS system is still on when it's inactive. It just locks the sensor in the middle rather than allowing it to move. That's why there's always a noise.

Gordon