L-Bracket for the Hasselblad X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Erlewine

I use an L-Bracket all the time, switching from horizontal to vertical and back, so I need a good one. And because I focus stack a lot, I need a strong and steady one in the vertical position.

I've looked into what l-brackets are out there and here is what I find for those interested.

Really Right Stuff Modular L-Plate Set for Hasselblad X2D Weights 5.2 oz. $255 for the Modular Set for the X2D.

By far the best l-bracket for the Hasselblad X2D is the one from RSS (Really Right Stuff). I have read complaints that it is too tight for the battery ejection. I bought one and it fits perfectly and is just right. Of course, you have to tighten it on the X2D carefully, positioning the l-bracket to the battery hole. And also very important, the vertical component that slides in and out is extra strong and does not move or dampen in any way. Perfect                       

Photo Clam L-Plate for Hasselblad X2D $250 Weights 4.3 oz.

I bought and returned the Photo Clam L-Plate Bracket because it is not good, at least for my work, and there are two main reasons I sent it back.

Number one, the left vertical bracket makes it very difficult to pop open the CFExpress door. And number two (and unforgivable), the left vertical bracket is not firm when in vertical mode. It bends and is weak ever so slightly and can affect images when focus stacking because it gives a little. Very disappointing.

PEIPRO L-Plate Bracket Alloy Quick Released Hand grip for Hasselblad X2D Camera  4.196 oz $129 TO $149 on Ebay.

I have not tried this, but it looks pretty good, although that vertical component (at least from the photos) looks weaker than the RSS. It's a lot less expensive too, although the right l-bracket is key IMO.

Arca-Swiss L-Bracket 802306 $229.00 9.6 oz.

The Arca-Swiss L-Bracket is a universal l-bracket and does not extend over the battery area, but can be tight left to the camera or be extended.

The left vertical upright consists of two vertical tubular rods with a small moveable Arca-Swiss release plate that can be removed by a lever. If I did not have the RSS, I would probably have this, although moving and removing the sliding Arca-Swiss clamp would be a hassle. Still, it looks like a good design.

That's what I know. May it help those who are facing the same problem.

Michael H. Cothran

I've had the Peipro L bracket on my X2D since the camera came out, and long before RRS ever created one. NEVER have had a problem of any kind. It's been mounted on my X2D since day one. It's simply an integral part of the camera. It's solid, supports the camera vertically and horizontally as one would expect. It fits the camera perfectly plumb & smooth. You can easily forget it's even mounted.
If you want to pay twice the amount so that it reads RRS, go right ahead. But, IMO, you're not gaining anything other than, perhaps, supporting the American economy!

mikaelo67

I also have the Peipro on my X2D and Im super satisfied. The fit is perfect and it is easy to just extend the side without the need of any tools if you want to gain access to the USB C port. It's sturdy, all metal, high quality and finish for a low price.

I definitely recommend the PeiPro.

DaveGuy

Larsb

I have purchased several base plates and a ball-head from Really Right Stuff in the past and can confirm that they are engineered and manufactured perfectly.  The base plates always fitted perfectly, and I can definitely recommend them/
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

grotte

I have the Arca-Swiss Mini L-Bracket (without the anti twist plate) for some 5 years now. It is perfect for my needs.

glaiben

I too use the Peipro on the X2D - fits like a glove.  I also bought the RRS version, since I use an RRS on my X1D-II and wanted the two bodies to "match".  Unfortunately, RRS changed the design between the X1D and the X2D versions.  I did not like the ergonomics on the X2F version: the baseplate was not flat across the bottom as it was for the X1D version.

...gregg

Michael Erlewine

I am glad to hear from those of you with the Peipro on the X2D, since I have not used it. My only question, from the photos, is that if the vertical plate on the Peirpro is similar to that in the Photo Clam l-bracket where the vertical plate was too thin so that you would feel it move, especially if you were stacking photos (as I do) and having to turn a stiffer lens barrel so that it dampened or ever-so-slightly depressedthe l-bracket.

I am more than happy about the RRS Modular Bracket system, aside from the embedded allen wrench, because the vertical plate is almost double-thick, very heavy, and does not move even one iota with pressure. For me that is worth the extra dollars.

Here is a stacked image using the X2D I took yesterday with a Nikon F-Adapter and the classic Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 lens.

MGrayson

The Peipro vertical plate adjusts flush with the side of the camera body. It is very rigid in that position. I no longer have the RRS X1D plate, but their Leica SL vertical plate is stiffer than the Peipro when extended away from the body.

mikaelo67

The Peipro vertical plate is very rigid when it is extended. You open and tighten it by hand. I have not been able to notice any play extended or not. At this point, having used the Peipro since it came out. I sincerely don't miss or would like to add anything to it. I first bought it because I needed one and RRS hadn't released theirs. I usually always use RRS products when I can. So the plan was to buy the Peipro and replace it with the RRS version when it came out.

I mean we all have spent a lot more than USD 10-20K on the X2D system. So a couple of extra hundreds of dollars or not, won't make any difference to any of us.

But I really like the Peipro and see no reason to change it.

HKer

I used the Markins L-plate for my X1D.  Very nice fit.  For the X2D, I use the Peipro which was one of the only 2 L-plates available for the X2D at the time.  The Markins L-plate for X2D has a funny design, the vertical plate protruding forward in parallel to the lense.  The only complaint I have about the Peipro is that every time I have to open the side door to access the USB-C slot I have the loose the bottom thumb turn screw and move the vertical plate.  Would be nice if the hole on the vertical plate is bigger to allow the full swing out of the USB-C door like the Markins L-plate for X1D.

Paul2660

The RRS L bracket works fine, no issues removing the battery at all.  The battery area on the bracket is similar to how RRS made it for the Leica Sl2, and there is plenty of room to get to the lever to release the battery.  The only issue I have is that when you have the L bracket (L portion) up close to the camera body, you can't easily assess the CF card door.  When the L portion is pulled totally out, you can access the door however it still hits the bracket when you open it. 

I can tell you for sure the Arca Swiss L bracket over time will give you trouble.  I have one and have used it on many different bodies, GFX, Leica. There is catch for the body to hit so over time you will have the camera body move slightly, wiggle etc.  This is with the body tighten as much as you can to the bracket.  I also feel there is a bit of flex in the L portion, at least with mine.  Arca may have changed this since I purchased my 4 years ago.  Since the camera mounting area is universal, there is no way Arca can make the bottom of the camera and bracket lock as the RRS or other L bracket that is designed specific for a camera.

Paul

o2mpx

Cast vote for the RRS bracket. Tried the Arca Swiss but the finish was crude in comparison. Lubricants weren't cleaned up and covered outside the rails. Returned and exchanged for the RRS which was much better all around.

yvette

I have two -- one from Rogeti and the other from Photo Clam via B&H.  I'm still trying to decide which one I prefer.  Both give you access to battery compartment though.