Outdoors, on tripod, X2D, How to have a one-second timer before for each Shot

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Erlewine

I'm iutdoors, X2D on  tripod. Having no remote, and pressing the shutter button,how to have a one-second timer interval before for each Shot?

dhead

Bob Foster

Hello Michael,

If you are asking about exposure delay interval between the individual shots of a stack this parameter can be set within the "focus bracketing" menu. Look for the function called "exposure delay" function in list; it can be set to 1 second.

Bob

edit- changed exposure bracketing to focus bracketing- my mistake...

dhead

Quote from: Bob Foster on February 26, 2024, 04:13:44 AMHello Michael,

If you are asking about exposure delay interval between the individual shots of a stack this parameter can be set within the "exposure bracketing" menu. Look for the function called "exposure delay" function in list; it can be set to 1 second.

Bob
Bob
I see the exposure delay setting when using focus bracketing, but not with exposure bracketing.  It makes more sense allowing time to refocus between shots.  Is your X2D different?
dave

JCM-Photos

You don't have to set a time out for refocussing in a focus bracketing sequence.

The camera waits until the lens is refocused before taking the next shot with a 0 timeout.

The timeout you can set begins after refocusing and is here to allow the camera tripod system to wait for vibrations extinction due to refocusing and a not really perfect tripod head combo.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Patrick CM

dhead

Yep, I read that.  I guess I'm missing something.  That page in the manual (or on my camera) still doesn't change the delay between each picture in the sequence - only the delay before the 1st one is shot.  The "exposure delay" only shows up in the focus bracketing menu.
I agree with JCM - interesting that H allows time for vibrations to stop after refocusing (using exposure delay), but not from the previous shutter activity as in exposure bracketing.

Bob Foster

Double post. Deleted duplicate.

Bob Foster

All-

I've corrected my post above (#3).

If you've not seen Michael's work I'll encourage you to do so. He is an exceptionally able amateur. Much, (though by no means all) of his work covers "small worlds" as he puts it, close-ups from about 1:3 to 1:1. He is a master of stacking with a fine eye for composition.

dhead-

Please check the following if you're using an X2D. As of today the list is current.

Camera firmware:     3.1.0
Camera Manual:       1.4
XCD 120 firmware:    0.6.0
HC 120 II firmware: 19.1.0
Mac software:        3.7.6
PC software:         3.7.5

For any other lenses please check the Hasselblad website.

All-

Refocusing using automatic "focus bracketing" between shots (either far to near or near to far - I've not tried the symmetric mode) can take close to a full second. To get a 1 second pause between exposures you'll need to set an "Exposure Delay" of 2 seconds. This works well with the XCD 120.

Despite the manual stating that the HC and HCD lenses cannot be used for "focus bracketing" on p.67 the HC 120 II (orange dot) lens does work using a normal "focus bracketing" cycle on the X2D. Used this way in the 1:2 to 1:1 range the HC 120 II outperforms the XCD 120 fitted with a doublet supplementary lens or extension. Using this lens I set the delay to 3 or 4 seconds (depending on magnification) for best results; it is over 400g heavier than the XCD 120.

Bob

dhead

Quote from: Bob Foster on February 26, 2024, 12:19:52 PMAll-

I've corrected my post above (#3).

dhead-

Please check the following if you're using an X2D. As of today the list is current.

Camera firmware:    3.1.0
Camera Manual:      1.4
XCD 120 firmware:    0.6.0
HC 120 II firmware: 19.1.0
Mac software:        3.7.6
PC software:        3.7.5

Bob

Thanks, Bob - I'm pretty new to Hasselblad (2 months), so everything is up-to-date, including firmware for X2D.  The only lens I have now is 55V, although 38V is ordered. I was agreeing with your edited response - I appreciate your expertise and clarification.  I'm learning just being a fly on the wall in this site.  Unfortunately, all my Canon stuff is just gathering dust now - I'm in awe of the quality I get from the X2D.
Regards,
Dave

JCM-Photos

I guess that Hasselblad makes the assumption that the leaf shutter does not produce vibrations that could shake a weak tripod, but autofocus activation could shake it what needs a timeout between frames for focus bracketing but not for exposure bracketing.
This is really the case with for example the XCD80 that moves a heavy chunk of glass with two powerfull motors.
Sharpen your eyes not your files